Manny Pacquiao
Roberto Duran
Julio Cesar Chavez
Henry Armstrong
Floyd Mayweather Jr.
Benny Leonard
Hector Camacho
Vasyl Lomachenko
How are we gonna have a GOAT tournament at 135 and not include Whitaker, Mosley, or Arguello?

I feel like Lomachenko and Camacho don't belong. Whitaker needs to be there (I'd have Whitaker probably winning the tournament). Ortiz or Napoles deserve places far ahead of Lomachenko and Camacho. Lomachenko's only fight at LW involved him struggling and getting floored by a guy who would get destroyed by likely everyone else in this tournament.

How are we gonna have a GOAT tournament at 135 and not include Whitaker, Mosley, or Arguello?

Whitaker should be in a torunamnet. . . no doubt. . . but for the sake of an 8 man format this is it. . . .I would have to make another tournament at 140 with Sweet Pea, Pryor, Mosely etc.. . . The greatest fighters in boxing history are between 130-140 lbs.. . . .could make a 16 man tournament under 140 lbers.

135 lbs.

Manny Pacquiao
Roberto Duran
Julio Cesar Chavez
Henry Armstrong
Floyd Mayweather Jr.
Benny Leonard
Hector Camacho
Vasyl Lomachenko
I'd put:
Duran
Whitaker
Armstrong
Pacquiao
Mosley
Mayweather
Arguello
Chavez

I feel like Lomachenko and Camacho don't belong. Whitaker needs to be there (I'd have Whitaker probably winning the tournament). Ortiz or Napoles deserve places far ahead of Lomachenko and Camacho. Lomachenko's only fight at LW involved him struggling and getting floored by a guy who would get destroyed by likely everyone else in this tournament.
agreed. Ortiz and Whitaker are essentials to any LW tournament. As talented as I think Vasyl is, he doesn't have the body of work to be in this discussion, and Camacho certailny doesn't. Pac and Floyd had similarly brief LW careers, but they're bodies of work above the weight imply an ability at that weight that Vasyl and Camacho haven't proven, at least not yet.

agreed. Ortiz and Whitaker are essentials to any LW tournament. As talented as I think Vasyl is, he doesn't have the body of work to be in this discussion, and Camacho certailny doesn't. Pac and Floyd had similarly brief LW careers, but they're bodies of work above the weight imply an ability at that weight that Vasyl and Camacho haven't proven, at least not yet.

Even head to head. Does anyone think Lomachenko has any meaningful chance against Duran, Whitaker, Armstrong, or Mayweather?

I like Ortiz too but not sure who I'd take off my list to put him in.

I like Ortiz too but not sure who I'd take off my list to put him in.
I'd choose Arguello. Superb fighter, no doubt, but his LW run wasn't super memorable. Watt, Mancini, Ramirez and Ganigan are all good fighters. But that's not on the level of the body of work Ortiz put in. If you're looking just at the names, Ortiz has a solid case as the arguable LW GOAT, certainly top 5.

Even head to head. Does anyone think Lomachenko has any meaningful chance against Duran, Whitaker, Armstrong, or Mayweather?
We'll see. My gut says no, but there's enough circumstance to Loma looking vulnerable against Linares (who I always felt was better than most on here are giving him credit for) that I don't think a close fight with him should knock him out from being able to at least be competitive with those guys. I will say, I think Duran in particular is a nightmare for Loma.

We'll see. My gut says no, but there's enough circumstance to Loma looking vulnerable against Linares (who I always felt was better than most on here are giving him credit for) that I don't think a close fight with him should knock him out from being able to at least be competitive with those guys. I will say, I think Duran in particular is a nightmare for Loma.

And Armstrong. Whitaker's workrate with his jab is too much for Lomachenko to deal with a southpaw/southpaw matchup. As funny as it is to say, Mayweather is the most winnable fight for Lomachenko out of the four (aside from Armstrong by DQ), and I don't see Lomachenko beating Mayweather after the Linares fight.

both duran and armstrong would put whooping on lomachenko, not to mention the rest.

It would depend on who fights who...unless its a round robin.

In that case...

probably Floyd or Benny

Back