The greatest 'tall'' fighter of all time?

whats with the lol behind miocic as the goat hw?

its definitely possible.. top 3 at worst.

semmy is one of those "curious cases" for me.

he seemed to be very good. much better than average. his size made him elite, i dont think it was his skill that put him at that level. he could knee most guys without much effort.

You guys remember Montanha Silva?
montanha6.jpg

2agsv7n.jpg

Not a great fighter at all, but one of the more forgotten giants

There have been many Sherdog threads before. This is definitely one of them.

Yes but Tim's reach wont be as effective against a guy the same size as him. Tall fighters tend to look very average when fighting guys of the same size. See Schilt vs Hesdy Gerges. Hesdy is nowhere near as accomplished or as good as Schilt,but Schilt didnt have the size and reach advantage he normally enjoys and struggled to win.

Had no problem with McGee.

Many people missed Tims prime, it was impressive.

Had no problem with McGee.

Many people missed Tims prime, it was impressive.
I didnt. I think we got robbed of alot of potential good fights from alot of guys bein over in pride. Imagine aleks or kharitonov vs sylvia. Hard to guage how good he really was or could be

Dieselnoi

- One of the three often mentioned greatest muay thai fighters of all time along with Apidet and Samart. Tall and deadly with his knees, who would've made Anderson Silva look like Rich Franklin in the clinch. Undefeated in 112 matches with 110 wins and 2 draws.

That record is incorrect. Sagat Petchyindee beat him twice, and he had several other losses earlier in his career.

semmy is one of those "curious cases" for me.

he seemed to be very good. much better than average. his size made him elite, i dont think it was his skill that put him at that level. he could knee most guys without much effort.

Semmy didn't have elite skill standing? Plenty of big guys who were just ok didn't achieve a 10th as much in K-1.

Semmy didn't have elite skill standing? Plenty of big guys who were just ok didn't achieve a 10th as much in K-1.
i didnt say he was just ok...

i still think his size helped him a lot in his career. overall, he was just short (meheheh) of elite, and his size covered that small bit

Dieselnoi

- One of the three often mentioned greatest muay thai fighters of all time along with Apidet and Samart. Tall and deadly with his knees, who would've made Anderson Silva look like Rich Franklin in the clinch. Undefeated in 112 matches with 110 wins and 2 draws.

dieselnoi.JPG

Semmy Schilts

-Four time k-1 Gp champion, who would've made Anderson Silva look like Vitor Belfort with his front kicks.

giphy.gif

Jon Jones

-Probably the most talented MMA fighter of all time, dick pill or no dick pill, with whom Anderson Silva appears to want to be best BFF with while calling out smaller fighter in GSP.

I mean, takes a great man to continue to call out a smaller fighter a weight class below, while fighting world beaters like Forrest Griffin, Stephen Bonnar and James Irvin in a weight class above while looking like he belong in that weight class.

tumblr_otw11q0WX31r7vh24o1_500.gif

Klitschko brothers

-Probably the best heavyweight boxers of his generation, would make Anderson Silva look like Forrest Griffin

1.gif

Honorable mention:

Stefan Struve

-Defeated the best heavyweight of all time according to Anik *lul* in his prime

stipe-struve.gif

6'4 at 205 is closer to an average height than being a notably tall fighter. Relatively speaking, Max Holloway is a taller fighter than Jon Jones. Darrion Caldwell is a taller fighter than Jon Jones too relative to his weight division.

Dieselnoi is a good mention, Schilt is a must have on any tall man's greatest list. Tyson Fury at 6'9 was pretty impressive for a man his size before his own collapse, not too many Heavyweight boxing greats past 6'6.

Back