The Hierarchy Of Muay Thai Brands?

Tell me more about the extortion and threats...lol. That interests me more than this whole thread.

Some tourists were accused of shoplifting in the store or something and "arrested" by security and taken to an off-site hotel room where some Indian guy that spoke both English and Thai convinced them to confess in some sort of plea bargain involving thousands of dollars as opposed to being handed over to the authorities or something. :eek:

Seriously though, Thailand is the land of scams. Anything from little scams (tourist rates vs. local rates for admission to places like, well, Rajadamnern Stadium LOL) to big scams (like the above-mentioned and more!). Folks really ought to be careful over there haha.

Some tourists were accused of shoplifting in the store or something and "arrested" by security and taken to an off-site hotel room where some Indian guy that spoke both English and Thai convinced them to confess in some sort of plea bargain involving thousands of dollars as opposed to being handed over to the authorities or something. :eek:

Seriously though, Thailand is the land of scams. Anything from little scams (tourist rates vs. local rates for admission to places like, well, Rajadamnern Stadium LOL) to big scams (like the above-mentioned and more!). Folks really ought to be careful over there haha.

Sounds like something out of "Locked Up Abroad"....lol.

If your friend is going to Bangkok, tell him to go to Action Zone which is 3 long blocks west of National Stadium BTS station on the south side of the street, Rama I Rd. Best deals you can find in the entire world on Muay Thai equipment. I recommend the Twins BGGL1. Get them in 16 oz.; they'll feel tight at first, but once they're broken in, it will be a semi-custom fit and one of the best feeling gloves you've ever worn. My hands are 8 inches long from base of the metacarpals (palm) to the tip of the middle finger with a 9 inch circumference around the metacarpal heads (knuckles) and the BGGL1 fit very well. Barring that, you can also look into the Fairtex BGL7, although you may have to write to have it made-to-order as it's not a common model. And if you're trying to get a custom model, you may as well get the Fairtex BGL6 custom-made in 16 oz. But if your friend is clueless about gear, just stick with the Twins BGGL1 -- they're a common model and the top choice of most of the major Thai camps and the official glove supplier for Lumpinee and Rajadamnern Stadiums!

Twins & Fairtex may be a little out of my range. I am hoping I don't have to pay more than US$50. Can you tell if any models by Windy, Boon, Sandee, Raja, Thaismai will suffice? I understand that Sandee does not make lace-up training gloves, so that makes it go lower on my preference board.

Also, I'd like to know about this: I have heard some of the stadiums have shops within. Are those any good?

Twins & Fairtex may be a little out of my range. I am hoping I don't have to pay more than US$50. Can you tell if any models by Windy, Boon, Sandee, Raja, Thaismai will suffice? I understand that Sandee does not make lace-up training gloves, so that makes it go lower on my preference board.

Also, I'd like to know about this: I have heard some of the stadiums have shops within. Are those any good?

Windy, Boon and Raja are all good brands!!!! Higher than Sandee and Thaismai on the list.

Well Rajadamnern stadium has a Twins shop. But you are better off getting Twins through Actionzone where it'll be 10%+ cheaper. There are also shops at the new Lumpini stadium, but I'm not sure which brands as I haven't been there.

If you want Boon gloves, 16oz lace-ups should cost around $40 (1,380 baht) at the Boon shop. Actionzone also carries Boon, so you may be able to pick them up there too. I don't know if there is a Windy shop in BKK any longer (it used to be at the old lumpini, it may be at the new one) but you can get windy at Actionzone and some of the other sports stores near Actionzone. And I have no idea where to find Raja in BKK now that Twins has taken over Rajadamnern stadium.

oh that's scary.... I guess that song 'One Night in Bangkok' isn't totally wrong eh.... hahaha.... but would they pull that sort of shit on an Indian guy? Like Indian from India...

Well Rajadamnern stadium has a Twins shop. But you are better off getting Twins through Actionzone where it'll be 10%+ cheaper. There are also shops at the new Lumpini stadium, but I'm not sure which brands as I haven't been there.

If you want Boon gloves, 16oz lace-ups should cost around $40 (1,380 baht) at the Boon shop. Actionzone also carries Boon, so you may be able to pick them up there too. I don't know if there is a Windy shop in BKK any longer (it used to be at the old lumpini, it may be at the new one) but you can get windy at Actionzone and some of the other sports stores near Actionzone. And I have no idea where to find Raja in BKK now that Twins has taken over Rajadamnern stadium.

I have heard that Windy gloves have roomy hand compartments. How about Boon and Raja? I know Top King is rather tight. I have fairly big hands and I wrap well using non-elastic wraps.

I have heard that Windy gloves have roomy hand compartments. How about Boon and Raja? I know Top King is rather tight. I have fairly big hands and I wrap well using non-elastic wraps.

actually I wouldn't say windy are mostly roomy...

My Windy's have a pretty roomy hand compartment, but I also have a model that I believe was made fore sale outside of Thailand.

Boon's tend to be short in the hand compartment, so if you have long fingers they may not be a good choice. I'd caution against Boon if your hands from base of palm to middle finger tip are over 7.5"

I got my Twins 16 oz BGVL3 for $33 and Fairtex 16 oz BGV1 were running about $50 last time I was at Actionzone. Of course, that was with purchase of other gear (specifically a pair of shinguards and a pair of shorts; she also threw in a free T-shirt) and some friendly bargaining. I had a Thai friend get Twins 16 oz BGVL3 a couple years ago for about $25 a pair (bargaining in Thai and buying 6 pairs). Twins is definitely NOT out of your price range in Thailand, believe me. No reason to buy one of the smaller brands as they will not be cheaper than Twins.

As for the stadium shops, they're very well-supplied but not as cheap as Actionzone, although they will definitely be cheaper than buying abroad or at tourist traps (like the department stores).

oh that's scary.... I guess that song 'One Night in Bangkok' isn't totally wrong eh.... hahaha.... but would they pull that sort of shit on an Indian guy? Like Indian from India...
If you don't look Thai in Thailand or speak at least conversational Thai, be prepared to be ripped off LOL. If you act like a jerk or a mark, then expect to be straight picked on too haha.

It's been interesting and instructive, this whole experience of posting my queries on sherdog G&E. Thank you very much, all of you, for responding with such sincerity. Hoping to lay my hands on a spanking new pair of Twins BGLL1 or Fairtex BGL7s or something as good. Thanks again. Will post the gear if I get it.

Last edited:
A lot of people complain about the padding distribution, but for MT purposes, it's a nice glove for defense and clinching -- the padding on the base of the back of the hand and the ulnar ridge are great for blocking and parrying respectively (especially for high powered kicks), and it's quite easy to open your hand to engage in the clinch with these gloves (also, the wrist cuff is a little shorter than other brands, so you have a little more wrist maneuverability for clinching at the cost of stiff support for power punching, but good wrapping offers enough support IMHO). I myself prefer Twins as my game mainly revolves around kicking and kneeing/clinching and less on punching. Perhaps the only complaint I have is that elbowing can get a little clumsy on the 16 oz.'s, but you get used to it really quickly (and your elbows become killer with smaller gloves thereafter LOL).

I agree with you specially having small hands the only downside in my 16oz Twins is that they

Thaismai.jpg
I contacted Thaismai through their Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thaismaishop/

I inquired the cost of 1 pair 16 ounce Velcro gloves in leather. This was their response.

I always thought Thaismai was one of the "cheaper" Thailand-made brands. Does $58 sound right? And if they can be gotten cheaper, any suggestions?

Very much appreciated. Thanks guys.

Thaismai is not a second tier brand. Whoever told you that doesn't know their stuff. I work in Bangkok selling boxing gear and Thaismai was one of the first companies I was introduced too. Sure their shorts don't look great but they've been making gloves for over 60+ years. Their gear is great but their marketing isn't so strong.

I've only had experience with their bag mitts. I've tried Windy's bag mitts, and I would have to say that Thaismai's were simpler, but I liked them a lot more. I have no experience with their thai gloves.

View attachment 223309
I contacted Thaismai through their Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thaismaishop/

I inquired the cost of 1 pair 16 ounce Velcro gloves in leather. This was their response.

I always thought Thaismai was one of the "cheaper" Thailand-made brands. Does $58 sound right? And if they can be gotten cheaper, any suggestions?

Very much appreciated. Thanks guys.

Yes, that is the right quote. Apparently they aren't the cheaper or less-quality Thai brand company that most people has the misconception of.

They are a quality Thai company, just not as widely known and as easy to access like the others, but I've heard many that have said they aren't the cheaper version of anything.

Thaismai is Thaismai and they are a legit Thai company.

I would just like to join the chorus. Thaismai is a quality brand. Several better and younger members of my muay gym often take part in the high end competitions in thailand and they always come back with a pair of twins but always two pairs of thaismai on request of the coach.

Back