The Hook Debate: Palm in or Palm down? (17 threads mashed together, have fun)

I do both. My lead hook is usually a palm down, while my back hook is palm in. It feels natural to me.
Thanks to whoever talked about the Bicep feel on palm down vs in

But ideally you aren't supposed to hit with all knuckles but just the one of your index and middle finger

From what I understand, there is no advantage to one over the other in the instance that a perfect punch lands (the two knuckles). In the event that it wasn't quite perfect, the distance, timing etc...Palm in would more evenly distribute the blow.

I don't really consciously practice either one. I used to only thrown palm in hooks for a while, they I started sitting my butt back farther and sometimes palm down are just more comfortable. It really depends on my position. In combinations, up tight... always palm down. If I'm ever trying to reach around the guard, palm in. I'll even throw palm down hooks to the body if I'm sat down and really twisted out to the left... I was surprised to find out how sharply they land.

This is more or less how I feel, though I've come to different conclusions than you. I always want to land cleanly and with the knuckles, so I just adjust my hook according to the distance and angle in order to make that happen. At long range, I go palm down to connect with the first knuckle. In close I go palm in to get both of my punching knuckles home. But then there are times in close where a palm down hook feels more natural, like if you need to come down over a shoulder to land.

another interesting thing is where your are supposed to land. There seems to be disagreement. Some say you should land with your last 3 knuckles, while others say you should land with the first 2 knuckles. Iv heard a lot of cases for both sides.

Palm down
markhuntko.gif

AnUJmPV.gif

Palm down
markhuntko.gif

AnUJmPV.gif

But Tyson was throwing more of a straight because he needed that extra range. tyson usually threw hooks palm in you can clearly see it in videos of his bag and padwork and in most fights tyson punched palm in.
Yeah Hunt punches palm down.

It seems most guys here are taking sides which is just wrong I think now should be established that there are all kinds of different fighters throwing palm in and palm down it depends on each fighter.

This is more or less how I feel, though I've come to different conclusions than you. I always want to land cleanly and with the knuckles, so I just adjust my hook according to the distance and angle in order to make that happen. At long range, I go palm down to connect with the first knuckle. In close I go palm in to get both of my punching knuckles home. But then there are times in close where a palm down hook feels more natural, like if you need to come down over a shoulder to land.

I like this method. I guess I do kind of use the palm down when I dip my lead shoulder and throw a lead hook over the opponents jab. (I'm a southpaw so I throw the lead right hook over an orthodox jab) In close, as you said, the tight, palm in feels a lot cleaner/stronger to me.

So, I've heard, and read arguments about this and I just wanted to ask your opinion guys. Freddie Roach prefers the lead left hook where the palm faces down on the ground. It also seems to offer more cover. The palm in (Where the palm is facing towards you) however, seems to generate more power. I try to practice both, but the palm in is, at least for me, more comfortable and significantly more powerful.

What's your thoughts about it guys? Do you throw hooks with your palms facing the ground, or do throw them with your palms facing towards you? What are the advantages and disadvantages of both?

Great question Aikidokia! I feel that the palm in hook incorporates more of the inside forearm muscle, which is where more power is generated than that of a palm down hook. The palm in hook also feels like a more natural motion to land a powerful hook by pulling the weight of the punch in towards me. What do you think?

Great question Aikidokia! I feel that the palm in hook incorporates more of the inside forearm muscle, which is where more power is generated than that of a palm down hook. The palm in hook also feels like a more natural motion to land a powerful hook by pulling the weight of the punch in towards me. What do you think?

Palm in hooks definitely feel more natural to me. Also feels more "solid" for a lack of a better word. So, I agree. :)

Palm in. More elbow and wrist support since the musculature is in a more advantageous position, providing stability against the forces from a punch.

Palm in. More elbow and wrist support since the musculature is in a more advantageous position, providing stability against the forces from a punch.

Agreed! The palm in hook does feel better supported. Also, this video by JT Van V where he breaks down both types of hooks is well worth the watch.

[YT]xfOOdM0hJv4[/YT]

Palm in feels more comfortable for me and I always worry about shorting the punch with the palm down as I broke the bones on that portion of my hand years ago in school

I think in the end the point is that neither way is wrong or right. There is a proper way to throw a hook with the fist held either way, so it just comes down to personal preference.

I was taught palm in so that's what I use; I do try palm down every now and then and feel like I get can more force with it

Just wondering, for those who favor palm down, do you do the same for body shots, or do you folks switch to palm in for those?

I think there is a place for palm-down body shots. Kidney punches and hooks thrown from the clinch, when it's not easy to get a lot of weight on them, seem to benefit from being thrown this way. Roberto Garcia throws a great palm-down wide right to the body, and Sugar Ray Robinson was famous for the same punch. He called it his "candy cane punch."

I think there is a place for palm-down body shots. Kidney punches and hooks thrown from the clinch, when it's not easy to get a lot of weight on them, seem to benefit from being thrown this way. Roberto Garcia throws a great palm-down wide right to the body, and Sugar Ray Robinson was famous for the same punch. He called it his "candy cane punch."

Agreed! I find palm down hook's to the body very useful for getting around behind the guard of an opponent whose squared up and tucking his elbows tight into his body (I.E: Brandon Rios). Takes my head slightly off center and further back, so i can see the UC counter coming easier and either pull back, pivot out or come around it with a counter hook...... Where it's gotten me in trouble though is that it's harder to keep from over reaching (to far over front foot) with a palm down hook to the body (I.E: all the UC's Katsidis ate vs Marquez) , at least IMO that's the case. GGG uses palm down hooks to the body exceptionally well when he's got an opponent on the ropes and covering up.

Do we need another one of these threads? :/

my sentiments, exactly. maybe your stance (or memory) has softened over time...

hard to tell but it looks like Orlando Bloom prefers palm down.

orlando-bloom-hits-justin-bieber-abiza-spain-drunk-alcohol-miranda-kerr-selena-gomez-pp-sl.gif

Ha I swear this topic comes up all the time... many threads on it, and I have yet to hear someone say go for the 45degree angle approach. Why does your palm have to be facing the floor OR your body, when it can half do each? This is generally what my hooks look like, but I'm known for doing things "half-a$$ed"... :)

pick a side, buddy...nobody like a fence straddler.

this is interesting stuff...probably should be stickied at the top of this forum.

Back