The human body is terrible but also amazing

facePuncher7

Founder of the militant wing of the Salvation Army
@Brown
Reaction score
As some of your know I quit my job and headed overseas a week or so back due to health reasons.

I'm going to let it be known what the health issue was, because it pertains to this story.

A few months back I went to the doctors for routine check up, but I'd also been feeling run down and having trouble sleeping.

Doc checked my blood pressure and heart rate. Sitting still for 5 minutes and trying to be calm, I had a reading of 180/120 for my blood pressure and 98 for my heart rate. Re-tested every 5 mins for a while and same numbers.

Obv that's worryingly high, especially at 32yo (bordering on "extreme", technically). Did a battery of tests that I'm going to put in the "not too fucking fun" basket, but pretty much everything came back fine. Natural adrenaline levels a bit high but not crazy.

Been monitoring my BP for the last month at home and it's been steadily dropping.

Didn't check it for the last week since was moving and travelling, but a week ago it was like 145/93.

Well today in the morning and in the evening I got 125/80 with a heart rate of 58, which are perfect numbers.

Legit, from "how are you not dead right now?" to "perfect" in a bit over a month maybe. I think I was just obscenely overworked and stressed, and my diet wasn't great either.

I feel so relaxed now that I actually wake up startled sometimes because I can't feel my heart pounding in my chest and I think it's stopped.

Anyway, that's all really whack and I just wanted to share it with you. Stress is some real shiznit and I'm currently in amazement at how much it can affect your health.

Glad to hear you're doing better. Take care of yourself.

stress can really fuck you up. hope chiang mai is going well for you.

You’re 32, relax.

A normal healthy person would be lucky to get thier blood pressure to 180 during a sprint. Mine was sitting there while doing nothing, plenty of reason to be worried lol.

stress can really fuck you up. hope chiang mai is going well for you.

It is man, it's amazing. I went bamboo rafting today and saw elephants. One of them false charged us and I almost had a heart attack but he chilled out.

Oh and I've found a good MT gym, brushing up on my long-neglected clinch game.

Glad it’s working out for you. Less stress will do womders for you.

I have nothing but great memories from my 3 year assignment in Thailand. The people, the food, the temples, just amazing.

what changes have you made? im in a similar situation but they put me on a beta-blocker. bp wasnt high but pulse was over 100 so got diagnosed with tahychardia. doc said its from stress. i also wake up startled like you said sometimes feeling like my heart stopped or something. fook that

Props for having the balls to put your health first and go against convention by quitting your job. Too many people work themselves into an early grave.

Props for having the balls to put your health first and go against convention by quitting your job. Too many people work themselves into an early grave.
This. Takes some balls, good for you OP.

The human body is shit but also amazing. This is a true statement. The good is good but the bad is bad.

You're making it really hard not to quit my job and move to Thailand right now, TS.

My blood pressure was 180 over 120.

I got it down to 120 over 80 in a month.

I went low carb and walked five miles a day.

I get quitting a job that was killing you but why did you move overseas though?

what changes have you made? im in a similar situation but they put me on a beta-blocker. bp wasnt high but pulse was over 100 so got diagnosed with tahychardia. doc said its from stress. i also wake up startled like you said sometimes feeling like my heart stopped or something. fook that

Regular cardio. I already was training 2-3 times a week but not terribly hard. I now do AT LEAST an hour so solid exercise a day.

Cleaned up my diet a lot, the life in the office I was in made it too easy to load up on sugar and caffeine all day. Again, I was still eating fruit and vegetables etc every day, but a lot of shit too.

My blood pressure was 180 over 120.

I got it down to 120 over 80 in a month.

I went low carb and walked five miles a day.

That's a great result man, not too dissimilar to my situation.

I get quitting a job that was killing you but why did you move overseas though?

Part of it is that I wasn't doing what I wanted with my professional life. I'm someone that is very motivated, I have a strong drive, but the more I directed myself away from what I wanted to be pursuing the worse my health got. That being said, moving over here enables me to pursue what I want to be doing much more readily, due to the lower cost of living, healthier environment, better internet etc. Plus I have some history here, I have been over a bunch of times when I was younger for training, so it feels familiar and I can get by easily.

Back