The HW Division Should Only Have 3-Round Fights

What are your feelings on HW fights lasting 5 rounds instead of 3?

• Total voters

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Gassing is a frequent problem. Ngannou isn't the first; he won't be the last. Even the champion gassed, just not as badly, according to many Sherdog writers. His tank has never been reliable. Only Cain reliably has a 5-round gas tank, but he rarely fights. Five rounds often lowers the quality of HW fights. The HW division is the only division where most fighters struggle and fail to provide quality entertainment for five rounds because of cardio problems. Five rounds doesn't fit UFC fighters who weigh 245-265 lbs. For too long fighters stare at each other instead of fighting.

Would you complain if the HW division changes to only 3-round fights?

Bigger people have bigger lungs etc so just because they are bigger does not mean they can not have cardio they just do not eat right or run, Ngannou carries a lot of muscle which consumes a lot of blood and oxygen so that is his reason for gassing. Until Mexico city Cain would go 5 rounds like a mighty mouse almost. They need to endurance train instead of always power training in my opinion.

The guy who made the comment that Cain only has one round has only seen his mexico fight and he is suggesting that is all Cain has ever been able to do lol, pathetic

Who cares what fits who. Championship rounds are 5 rounds.

In boxing, heavyweights have to fight 12 rounds just like a minimum weight guy does, no one ever complained.

Bad thread is bad.

I cant think of a single context where I could use the word 'reliably' to talk about Cain Velasquez.

His last fight was 2016 ffs

Or pay more money and get better athletes. Even big guys should be able to condition themselves for 25 minutes of activity.

Gassing after one round is extremely unprofessional. A 40 year old Werdum still had cardio for 5 rounds

Bigger people have bigger lungs etc so just because they are bigger does not mean they can not have cardio they just do not eat right or run, Ngannou carries a lot of muscle which consumes a lot of blood and oxygen so that is his reason for gassing. Until Mexico city Cain would go 5 rounds like a mighty mouse almost. They need to endurance train instead of always power training in my opinion.
Shoulda woulda coulda. The fact is that they have worse cardio. Their current cardio should be considered; not their "what if" cardio.

That said, I don't want HW fights changed to 3 rounds. As bad as cardio in the division generally is, I think all divisions should have the same rules. I support equality above any advantages gained from getting rid of 2 rounds.

Nay.
I rather support do not interrupt the round if one of the fighters has dominant position.
E.g. setting up RNC. Both Oezdemir and Ngannou were saved by bell when champs were close to finish them with RNC. Nay, let the fighter finish the move, then stop the round if the other one survives.

You messed up the formulation of the poll in relation to the thread title.

They have opposite meanings, people are gonna mess up their votes because of it.

Gassing after one round is extremely unprofessional. A 40 year old Werdum still had cardio for 5 rounds
Werdum is exceptional though, plus he's a lot less bulky than many HWs. If you didn't know who he was you wouldn't even think he's very big, just tall.

Ngannou was gassed out in the second round, should we just have one round? Lol

Werdum and Miocic can go 5 rounds easily, Miocic was gassed to some extent but everyone is, Conor was as gassed as Miocic and he's the LW fake champ, should LW be just 3 rounds? That's a very stupid thread. HW have a bunch of guys gassing out because HW sucks, simple as that.

So now that Ngannou has lost you want to change the rules because of it? Wow. He packed on too much muscle so his lungs weren't large enough to support them with oxygen anymore. It was the same with Carwin and many others. This is nothing new and I really don't know how all those top fitness professionals at the UFC "Perfomance" Institute could have missed that. Maybe they were preoccupied with their punching machine and how to translate the results into Ford Focusses?

I know that casual fans think that fighters should look like professional wrestlers and action figures. But that is obviously NOT the best body type and build for fighting. Get leaner and do more cardio, hit the treadmill and do your roadwork.

Asking for 3 rounds is like Jones fans asking to get rid of USADA.

What does it matter if they have cardio for half a round?

But on more serious note. This thread should be wastelanded.

5 rounds of HUNTO vs BIGFOOT was one of the greatest UFC fights of all time.

Leave it at 5.

Who cares what fits who. Championship rounds are 5 rounds.

In boxing, heavyweights have to fight 12 rounds just like a minimum weight guy does, no one ever complained.

Bad thread is bad.

I made this point in another thread but watch Dillian Whyte vs Dereck Chisora. Neither of these guys are elite by boxing standards by any stretch of the imagination. Their physiques are nothing impressive for pro athletes, they both carry a bit a fat. Yet they are two 250lb guys who threw hell for leather at each other, non-stop for 12 rounds without gassing. Throwing about 80 punchers per round, toe to toe, with constant body movement and footwork, for 36 minutes.

Ngannou landed 17 strikes in 5 minutes and that was it, he was done.

And lets not pretend that Stipe showed himself to be some cardio machine either. The standard of UFC heavyweight is very poor.

It would be nice to have 25min championship fight without rounds Y/N?

Gassing is a frequent problem. Ngannou isn't the first; he won't be the last. Even the champion gassed, just not as badly, according to many Sherdog writers. His tank has never been reliable. Only Cain reliably has a 5-round gas tank, but he rarely fights. Five rounds often lowers the quality of HW fights. The HW division is the only division where most fighters struggle and fail to provide quality entertainment for five rounds because of cardio problems. Five rounds doesn't fit UFC fighters who weigh 245-265 lbs. For too long fighters stare at each other instead of fighting.

Would you complain if the HW division changes to only 3-round fights?

Or we could get some decent athletes.

Why not recruit "A" level athletes who won't gas to fight at HW versus lowering the standards?

Back