The Jordan Peterson Thread - V2 -

If you guys want a real answer to the problems Jordan Peterson tries to address, check out this lecture series. SO GOOD.

If you guys want a real answer to the problems Jordan Peterson tries to address, check out this lecture series. SO GOOD.

I've just started the third video . . . But I think you may have oversold this a bit. I'll probably need to watch it again. Pretty good overall, but I'm not sure all intellectuals don't start sounding like they're liking the sound of their own voice after awhile. Also, sometimes questions and the questioners can be so cringe-worthy when addressing a theologian. I'm not sure what exactly is in my craw and why, so bear with me.

Jordan Peterson talks with Ayaan Hirsi Ali:

CHi7YXKXAAAf-90.jpg

@dontsnitch @Caveat @Devout Pessimist

To the people who got this notification: I notified you because I thought you'd be interested in this not solely for the novelty of seeing a Sherdogger in real life but for the way I explain and elaborate on a lot of the ideas that have been put on the table by Peterson and that we've discussed in here.

As part of an undergraduate class my supervisor is doing called "Film and Cultural Theory," I got to do a lecture on skepticism and Inception. The reason I'm posting this in here is because I thought, even if you don't care to hear me talk about philosophy in general or Inception in particular, you'd at least appreciate the fact that I give Peterson a shout-out in the lecture and spend some time breaking down and critiquing postmodernism and Marxism.

The most relevant parts in relation to Peterson are all going to be found in the first video. Specifically, check out 20:07 - 24:25, where I talk about how Marxist logic (and the theory of ideology put forth by Louis Althusser in particular) is a variant of Descartes' "evil demon" argument (and I illustrate this with reference to The Matrix, which the students watched to go along with their Marxism reading/lecture last week), and 27:47 - 37:47, where I explicitly and elaborately critique postmodernism and Marxism in the same vein as Peterson's many critiques, including a reference to a psychological game I once saw him play in one of his videos to demonstrate the false dichotomy between free will and determinism.

I know there's no way to talk about yourself without seeming like an arrogant tool, but that's the risk I'm running to put these up in here in the hopes that they might be of interest.

To the people who got this notification: I notified you because I thought you'd be interested in this not solely for the novelty of seeing a Sherdogger in real life but for the way I explain and elaborate on a lot of the ideas that have been put on the table by Peterson and that we've discussed in here.

As part of an undergraduate class my supervisor is doing called "Film and Cultural Theory," I got to do a lecture on skepticism and Inception. The reason I'm posting this in here is because I thought, even if you don't care to hear me talk about philosophy in general or Inception in particular, you'd at least appreciate the fact that I give Peterson a shout-out in the lecture and spend some time breaking down and critiquing postmodernism and Marxism.

The most relevant parts in relation to Peterson are all going to be found in the first video. Specifically, check out 20:07 - 24:25, where I talk about how Marxist logic (and the theory of ideology put forth by Louis Althusser in particular) is a variant of Descartes' "evil demon" argument (and I illustrate this with reference to The Matrix, which the students watched to go along with their Marxism reading/lecture last week), and 27:47 - 37:47, where I explicitly and elaborately critique postmodernism and Marxism in the same vein as Peterson's many critiques, including a reference to a psychological game I once saw him play in one of his videos to demonstrate the false dichotomy between free will and determinism.

I know there's no way to talk about yourself without seeming like an arrogant tool, but that's the risk I'm running to put these up in here in the hopes that they might be of interest.

I'm also interested in watching these. Thanks in advance.

I will watch this when I get a chance and let you know what I think. Thanks for posting. :D

Sweet, will watch.

I only recently discovered Jorden Peterson through Joe Rogan's podcast. This guy is a bonafide genius. And I can't stop watching his videos.

I found this interview quite interesting. I haven't been hugely impressed with Ayaan's articulations in the past, but I feel Dr. Peterson helped her flesh out her concepts of Medina and Mecca Muslim groupings as exemplified by Muhammad as he lived in these areas (the latter and former respectively). I'm still not hopeful about an Islamic reformation, but, the delineation between Muhammad's tribal interactions in Mecca and Medina was interesting if nothing else.

I found this interview quite interesting. I haven't been hugely impressed with Ayaan in the past, but I feel Dr. Peterson help her flesh out her concepts of Medina and Mecca Muslim groupings as exemplified by Muhammad as he lived in these areas (the latter and former respectively). I'm still not hopeful about an Islamic reformation, but, the delineation between Muhammad's tribal interactions in Mecca and Medina was interesting if nothing else.

I haven't listened to it but the idea that Ayaan Hirsi Ali can act as any sort of catalyst for positive change in the Muslim community is one of the most deluded ideas I have ever come across. Its like thinking Richard Dawkins can reform the Catholic Church.

I haven't listened to it but the idea that Ayaan Hirsi Ali can act as any sort of catalyst for positive change in the Muslim community is one of the most deluded ideas I have ever come across. Its like thinking Richard Dawkins can reform the Catholic Church.

In almost everything I've seen of her, she comes across very soft, weak and even unclear. This is the clearest that I've heard her ideas fleshed out. I've not read her books, I can only say she doesn't come across as a convincing leader and I'm left feeling uneasy if she's the one leading the charge. I don't doubt she's had an impact for positive change, however. Maybe her books are better than she comes across in person.

In almost everything I've seen of her, she comes across very soft, weak and even unclear. This is the clearest that I've heard her ideas fleshed out. I've not read her books, I can only say she doesn't come across as a convincing leader and I'm left feeling uneasy if she's the one leading the charge. I don't doubt she's had an impact for positive change, however. Maybe her books are better than she comes across in person.
Its not just that, its that she hates Islam completely and her motivation in talking about it is entirely to criticize it so she has no rapport in the Muslim community in any way, shape, or form. That's why I made the comparison between her reforming Islam and Dawkins reforming Catholicism. Even if Dawkins somehow came up with some reasonable reform program for the Catholic Church there's no way they'd accept it coming from Dawkins given his status as a vociferous critic of Christianity and religion more generally.

Back