The Judo Rolling Bow and Arrow Choke Modified for BJJ (plus the grip detail that people get wrong)

Unrelated question: How does the response to your videos compare on SD to when you post on reddit?

nice vid - I like the switch of direction with the roll.

Thankyou! It catches a lot of guys unawares bwcabec they're used to the choke coming from the same side as the hook that's already in. It's also good to threaten the 2nd hook so they have to block that side, so they leave their neck easier to access

As someone who is awful at controlling the back, and typically spazzes for submissions, this will work perfect for my game!

Never seen that grip detail before... wondering if it applies to any other chokes...

Last edited:
As someone who is awful at controlling the back, and typically spazzes for submissions, this will work perfect for my game!

Never seen that grip detail before... wondering if it applies to any other chokes...

haha, you never even have to fully take the back, so it's perfect :D

this grip applies to all the collar chokes from the back where you align your hips behind the head like that :)

Nice technique. Will have to try it a little during open mat.

Meaning I';m in their closed guard and kinda bait it.

Also working on it from back mount but that is a very complicated one - at least for me.
Are you giving them the sweep and turning before they can settle on top?

Are you giving them the sweep and turning before they can settle on top?
So do you know the choke you use from closed guard that is used mainly to open the guard?

Well I get the baseball bat grips and then stand (keeping mind of their hips and legs as getting arm-barred is a real danger) and pretend I'm trying to do that choke. Then they usually open guard and from there I jump/roll towards there head and the side that had the four fingers in grip. I'll try it when the guard is still closed as well but they end up in mount when you do that roll but if the grips are set then it tightens up.

LIke I said I'm just playing around with it.

So I was trying this yesterday - during live rolls (not having drilled it) and I kept wondering why I they were slipping out or I was land flat on my back.

Then I realized (afterwards) that I was not switching the grip to the opposite side that you have your hook inserted and then standing and turning to the side that your hook is on (if that makes sense).

I had this look on my face once I realized the mistake I was making.

<Huh2>

So I was trying this yesterday - during live rolls (not having drilled it) and I kept wondering why I they were slipping out or I was land flat on my back.

Then I realized (afterwards) that I was not switching the grip to the opposite side that you have your hook inserted and then standing and turning to the side that your hook is on (if that makes sense).

I had this look on my face once I realized the mistake I was making.

<Huh2>

haha and then you look around to make sure no one was watching and noticed what you were doing lol

Back