The last BIG heavyweight upset?

treelo

//Do something here
@red
Reaction score
Got thinking about 1 second before i pressed the post new thread button, when was the last truly shocking heavyweight upset?

I certainly dont think Furys win over Wlad was.

Was it Wlad being beat by Brewster or Sanders?

Or do we have to go as far back as McCall against Lewis?(i dont consider the Rahman loss that big, Lewis looked like shit in that fight)

Or was it Foreman v Moorer?

I'd probably go for the latter, everyone kind of knew Moorer had dodgy whiskers, and kind of knew it 'could' happen, but didn't think it actually would

I dont see any big upsets coming anytime soon as i dont think any of the current fighters have currently carved enough of a career to make that big a name for themselves, and they all seem to be fighting each other rather than trying to take gimme fights

Rahman vs Lewis for me. Also don’t consider fury’s win a massive upset

i think both ortiz and Parker could outbox wilder/Joshua but would be considered pretty big upsets

I'd go with Fury over Wlad. The way he did it wasn't as shocking because it wasn't a KO, as most big HW upsets are KO's (Douglas-Tyson, Foreman-Moorer, McCall-Lewis, Brewster-Wlad etc).

I actually agree that Ortiz and Parker have shots in their respective fights, not great ones, but paths to victory none the less.

I actually agree that Ortiz and Parker have shots in their respective fights, not great ones, but paths to victory none the less.

Not sure i would consdider them to be big upsets though, its clear that Wilder and Joshua have flaws, and they are both fighting undefeated fighters

Not a huge fight but the eliminator Leapai won before he fought Klit was pretty unlikely from memory. His fight against Klit went as expected of course.

Not sure i would consdider them to be big upsets though, its clear that Wilder and Joshua have flaws, and they are both fighting undefeated fighters
True. Fury over Wlad is a bigger upset than either above. I’m not sold on Joshua and think Parker can win if his chin is as solid as it has looked. Ortiz hasn’t look very good lately and I’m not sure if it’s the lack of “vitamins” or just Father Time catching up to him. He looks really slow and plodding to me and his shots seem to lack the snap of a Wilder or Joshua.

Klitschko - Pulev. I blame the food.

That being said, Wlad - Fury was a big upset. Wlad looked unimpressive against Jennings but I thought he'd shift gears against Fury.

Wlad/Fury probably does qualify as a big upset. At least I didn't give Fury a particularly good chance. You could say Haye/Bellew, but that was more of a contrived money grab than a top HW fight. Failing that, you'd probably have to go back to Wlad/Brewster. Povetkin/Huck very nearly was one.

I thought that Fury beating Klitshko was a major upset. After the fact everyone can claim how they knew that Klitschko was on the decline, but he was on one of the most dominant HW title runs in history at the time. And Fury was largely thought of as a big goof who was getting a title shot because of his size and personality. Does anyone remember the odds for that fight?

A more recent big upset, although maybe not that big a fight, was Bellew beating Haye.

I thought that Fury beating Klitshko was a major upset. After the fact everyone can claim how they knew that Klitschko was on the decline, but he was on one of the most dominant HW title runs in history at the time. And Fury was largely thought of as a big goof who was getting a title shot because of his size and personality. Does anyone remember the odds for that fight?

A more recent big upset, although maybe not that big a fight, was Bellew beating Haye.

He’s always been thought of as a bit of a joke, and that was compounded by his famous uppercut to his own face. And because of that boxing fans slept on him.

he showed steady improvement in the fights leading up to to wlad fight, especially the chisora fight. Appreciate chirora is a gate keeper but he absolutely schooled him and made him quit; it was embarrassing.

I wasn’t too suprised that he outboxed wlad, his size was always going to cause him problems, but I was surprised that he’d won a decision in Germany. I thought he’d have to get the stoppage to win, which was unlikely

Does anyone remember the odds for that fight?

It was around 6/1 so not the shock of the century but clearly an upset. Parker is around 6.5/1 to beat Joshua. Rahman-Lewis I was 20-1 according to this article which also gives Tyson-Douglas at 45-1 (!) http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/3517087.stm.

Edit: maybe my memory is a bit off, as this article says the odds were 7/2 on fury http://www.boxingnewsonline.net/wladimir-klitschko-tyson-fury-betting-odds/

Last edited:

I was pretty shocked at how good Fury looked, more that he completely outboxed Klit rather than just relied on size and reach. I would have put it down to age for Klit but nearly 2 years later (I think) he put Joshua on his arse.

I was pretty shocked at how good Fury looked, more that he completely outboxed Klit rather than just relied on size and reach. I would have put it down to age for Klit but nearly 2 years later (I think) he put Joshua on his arse.
i don't think it's fair to say anyone outboxed anyone in that fight. it was 36 minutes of standing around and clinching, with a punch thrown here and there.

i don't have the numbers here, but i think chocolatito threw roughly the same amount of punches in a single round against someone as those two in 12 rounds combined. granted, he's literally less than half their size, but still.

i don't think it's fair to say anyone outboxed anyone in that fight. it was 36 minutes of standing around and clinching, with a punch thrown here and there.

I agree with this completely, it was the biggest major non-fight since Holyfield-Moorer 1, 2 guys who seemed to not want to engage at all

i don't have the numbers here, but i think chocolatito threw roughly the same amount of punches in a single round against someone as those two in 12 rounds combined. granted, he's literally less than half their size, but still.

I read a really great breakdown of what Fury did in that fight. Initially I agreed with you but Fury was doing a lot more than what it looked like, not letting Klit measure his range and stuffing up his rhythm. I'll try and find it. Klit did look sluggish, if it was a lower weight class I would have said he had a bad cut or something but I don't think Fury let him fight his fight.

I read a really great breakdown of what Fury did in that fight. Initially I agreed with you but Fury was doing a lot more than what it looked like, not letting Klit measure his range and stuffing up his rhythm. I'll try and find it. Klit did look sluggish, if it was a lower weight class I would have said he had a bad cut or something but I don't think Fury let him fight his fight.

Fury always moves and constantly reset Wlad in the fight, its extyremely hard if you fight in a certain style if someone can reset you by just moving or throwing a punch to stop you, it seems to be a bigger problem for the bigger the guys as they dont seem to move as much, one guy i sparred with shut me down so bad i felt like i had never fought in my life

Fury always moves and constantly reset Wlad in the fight, its extyremely hard if you fight in a certain style if someone can reset you by just moving or throwing a punch to stop you, it seems to be a bigger problem for the bigger the guys as they dont seem to move as much, one guy i sparred with shut me down so bad i felt like i had never fought in my life

Yeah one point i remember the article made was that Wlad sets up his whole offence from his jab, measuring the other guy so the rest can flow from there. Fury didn't let this happen, every time he tried to measure him Fury hit his hand away, he kind of didn't know what to do from there.

Back