The Magical Jabs

firstly, as a new user but longtime browser of your input, Sinister, this is a great thread and I would like to thank you for your efforts and insights on this and many others.

for me, I find your advice both useful as a practitioner and very interesting as a fan and observer, so thanks very much.

I wondered if you saw the Khan - Malignaggi fight?

One thing Khan was doing that brings out your/Mike's comment, on jabbing and jabbing and then jabbing some more, was that once Khan was doubling the jab, he was landing more successfully with it, and deterring Paulie from throwing counters, it seemed to me.

Also as a longtime observer of Khan's, he seemed to be stepping in with his jab much more, and was getting more power than he used to get from it (maybe not to Cotto's level but much closer than previously, i thought)

would you call what Khan was doing a power-jab or just a standard jab with a bit of a step?

Doubling up the jab throws off the rhythm of the other fighter. It's hard to pick up on exactly how it works by watching it, but it works like a charm. And stepping into a jab makes it a bit of a power-jab. Making lateral movement with the jab does not however.

^This is correct.

I was told by one of my trainers that I should take a full step when I throw my standard jab out.

Starting from the bottom up, this is sorta how it goes:

1. Push off the back leg, front leg moves forward
2. Hips and shoulders turn
3. Lead arm extends out and rotates inwards
4. At the same time, lead foot ends up one step closer to target. From here I can either return it back to the original position or bring the rear foot forward.

Is this correct? It's a little different to what is shown in Ike's video, he doesn't seem to move forward very far even when adding a little power.

NOTE: I'm still a beginner, trained a total of about 2 months now but I'm still not confident with my jab. I wanna make sure I don't pickup any bad habits.

I'm a new user, and was trying to increase my knowleage with jabs.
Some of the original post videos are off, i could be looking for the video by match name but i would know if it your be the right video/technic.
Can anyone refresh de video list?
Thanks.

I'm a new user, and was trying to increase my knowleage with jabs.
Some of the original post videos are off, i could be looking for the video by match name but i would know if it your be the right video/technic.
Can anyone refresh de video list?
Thanks.

I'll get to it one of these days.

People watch one fight with GSP vs Koscheck, then the jab is the "magic punch". I lol at the accurate statistical analysis by the ISraeli's that MOST people dont know dick about hand to hand fighting straight up.

Freakin jab.

Great tool yes. Delivered accurately with mixed timing it can be effective, yes.

Street encounter? YOu better be able to do more than look cute with jabs

And a thread about jabs that doesn't mention "Michael Moorer" the ONLY HW CHAMP/BOXER EVER that could KO and has KO'd someone with a TRIPLE jab?

lol

I guess I'm just too old at 35 to just say WOW

Last edited:
If you watch UFC, and have seen George St. Pierres second fight with Josh Koscheck, you would've seen that GSP used the jab very nicely. Not only boxers have magical jabs, you know.

Ike's jab is otherwordly. Thanks for sharing.

The paw as a means of blocking vision/creating distractions works wonderfully as well. Love this thread.

If you watch UFC, and have seen George St. Pierres second fight with Josh Koscheck, you would've seen that GSP used the jab very nicely. Not only boxers have magical jabs, you know.

Already been discussed champ.

Question on my Jab. Been turning my hand over late when I throw it, to the point where my trainer thought I was throwing my jab with my knuckles vertical when he's been holding pads :redface: Is there a benefit in doing this? I was thinking that if I rotate my hand late and if it's still rotating on impact there's a greater chance of causing a cut? Would I be correct in assuming this?

Already been discussed champ.

Question on my Jab. Been turning my hand over late when I throw it, to the point where my trainer thought I was throwing my jab with my knuckles vertical when he's been holding pads :redface: Is there a benefit in doing this? I was thinking that if I rotate my hand late and if it's still rotating on impact there's a greater chance of causing a cut? Would I be correct in assuming this?

Correct, also by turning over your jab it will bring your shoulder up to protective your face. One tip - make sure when you jab your head is off line (every time you punch your head should move).

There is a place for vertical-fist jabs, though. Trinidad's was like that. When aiming properly with the first two knuckles, and still raising the shoulder, they can break a guard and smash a nose just fine.

I've used it occasionally to break through tighter guards, coming up against taller opponents seem to make it easier as well. Haven't tried to land it on the nose, had success finding their chin though. Will try it out next time I spar to hit their nose.

On the topic of jabs, someone came at me with a superman punch at muay thai. Jabbed their nose in flight, successfully broke it. :D

A well-placed jab is an effective counter-punch for just about everything. Remember Tekken 2 and Tekken Tag when there was still such a thing as arcades in every mall? My favorite thing to do used to be to just make my character crouch, and use that stupid little punch to the knee. 2-3 of them would hit, then the other player would get frustrated and do something stupid.

In Boxing, jabbing to the upper-body intelligently accomplishes the same thing.

Back