The Magical Jabs

I've realized that recently. I'll use my jab to create the illusion that I'm scoring* by going to the naval, chest, shoulder, nose, whatever is there to jab. It's not enough to do any serious damage, but it does its job of making my opponent think that I'm pulling ahead. If I can get my guy a few times in succession it will usually lead to him trying something drastic to catch up, and then I can capitalize on his blind aggression (the most common response is flurry and push forward).

* not so much "illusion", I suppose because I am scoring. I guess "false sense that my jab is my attack" would be more appropriate, since it's acting as chum for the power shot.

People watch one fight with GSP vs Koscheck, then the jab is the "magic punch". I lol at the accurate statistical analysis by the ISraeli's that MOST people dont know dick about hand to hand fighting straight up.

Freakin jab.

Great tool yes. Delivered accurately with mixed timing it can be effective, yes.

Street encounter? YOu better be able to do more than look cute with jabs

And a thread about jabs that doesn't mention "Michael Moorer" the ONLY HW CHAMP/BOXER EVER that could KO and has KO'd someone with a TRIPLE jab?

lol

I guess I'm just too old at 35 to just say WOW

How about looking at the time stamp on the OP champ, you'd see this thread was created long before the GSP vs koscheck fight. Thats ok though you go back to your krav maga and practice your open hand slaps or whatever it is they teach.

People watch one fight with GSP vs Koscheck, then the jab is the "magic punch". I lol at the accurate statistical analysis by the ISraeli's that MOST people dont know dick about hand to hand fighting straight up.

Freakin jab.

Great tool yes. Delivered accurately with mixed timing it can be effective, yes.

Street encounter? YOu better be able to do more than look cute with jabs

And a thread about jabs that doesn't mention "Michael Moorer" the ONLY HW CHAMP/BOXER EVER that could KO and has KO'd someone with a TRIPLE jab?

lol

I guess I'm just too old at 35 to just say WOW

So which is it, do you like the jab as a punch, or do you not like the jab as a punch? Because if the first statement of your post is correct, then what does it matter if Michael Moorer is included in the thread or not? The jab sucks anyway.

Despite that mixed message, this thread is not about people who jab, but rather about the different types of jabs that exist and who were the best examples of them. Doesn't matter if they resulted in a KO or not.

You're not too old at 35 to say "wow"...what you are at 35, is too uneducated about Boxing.

GSP does his jab differently he moves his back foot behind him pushes forward covering alot of distance but you got to get in a similar stance to his to do it (I figured out how to do it and it's amazing I also added a few little wrikles of my own in it I can do it a few different ways. But you can't do it in just straight up boxing it good for MMA and Kickboxing but for Kickboxing you can't use it all the time. By the way Black and Red belt kickboxer.

I don't know if this is the right place to ask but anyone have some tips for working the jab effectively against a southpaw?

In what way are you struggling to land on them? Are they parrying, slipping, countering it?

Thank you for this thread I didn't realize there were that many different variations. Very helpful.

I wanna thank you guys for posting some of the best fights ever! Now Big John McCarthy says that the MMA jab is different from the boxing jab. Whadda you guys think about that? I think the jab varies from one individual to another but the basic mechanics are the same.

Thanks,
Tom

I wanna thank you guys for posting some of the best fights ever! Now Big John McCarthy says that the MMA jab is different from the boxing jab. Whadda you guys think about that? I think the jab varies from one individual to another but the basic mechanics are the same.

Thanks,
Tom

Without hearing any context, my initial reaction is... that's stupid. A jab is a jab. It's a nice quick punch that wears on your opponent and establishes range. How could it be different in MMA than in boxing?

Did anyone mention Thomas Hearns' flicker jabs? Thrown with almost no guard, he releases it like a whip.

Thomas Hearns vs Roberto Duran June 15, 1984 Caesars Palace - YouTube

That Jab is not unique to Tommy, its the 'Hitman' stance developed by Manny Steward. High hands, strong upper body and power from the hips and angles defined the style. The Jab had power but not from the legs, so if you dont force power into it, plant your legs or use your hips, it really is a whip rather than a normal Jab.

It has a lot more to it, but its a stylistic issue, not specifically jab related.

Great resource on the Jab. A lot more is to it, but even in boxing circles the jab doesnt get a load of respect for its complexity. A straight arm jab, a paw, a jolt, ect may all be jabs, but do completely different things.

Jab is the most basic point to fighting. Good tool to have to keep things simple.

Back