The Magical Jabs

I think more people should use the pawing type jab used to confuse your opponents like the Klitschko's do. It seems to work really well.

Floyd Mayweather Jr. used it especially against taller fighters. i remember him using it against Genaro Hernandez and Chico Corrales. He was very quick at it and it looks at lot easier than it really is.

Floyd has an excellent 1-2 to the body. Almost always stopped bigger guys in their tracks because the cross following the jab, he'd float down with it and spear you in the guts.

Oh and Pernell Whitaker was mentioned, and I had said he was an excellent example of throwing 2's, 3's, and 4's. He was also an excellent example of jabbing going backwards. Here's proof:

YouTube - Pernell Whitaker HL

Now Hatton's jab against Malignaggi was a prime example of a power jab! He almost took Paulie's head off numerous times throughout that fight.

Here's the real question. How the fuck did you change your name?

What's the real question again?

Fantastic thread. I really enjoyed the examples you provided, too. It would be sick if someone could do a thread on MMA jabs; in particular, I know that guys like Din Thomas, Anderson Silva, Sylvia, etc. use the jab to great effect to maximize their reach and set up combos.

What would you say Andre Bertos jab is Liu, and what is your opinion of it? I love his jab, but hes also one of my favorite fighters so im biased. I think it is a cross between an upjab, and a power jab, because he nearly always steps into it, and sometimes he REALLY steps into it.

YouTube - Andre Berto vs Michael Trabant

This HL of one of his fights shows his jab in nearly every clip.

Do you step into your jab when you throw it Liu or just flick it out there and keep your feet planted?

What would you say Andre Bertos jab is Liu, and what is your opinion of it? I love his jab, but hes also one of my favorite fighters so im biased. I think it is a cross between an upjab, and a power jab, because he nearly always steps into it, and sometimes he REALLY steps into it.

Yeah it's an up-jab. He's like a bigger stronger Judah with the way he throws it. No one said the up-jab couldn't be powerful, but the difference between it and the standard power-jab is the angle it lands. The power-jab is straight out from the shoulder with full body weight behind it.

Do you step into your jab when you throw it Liu or just flick it out there and keep your feet planted?

Yes.

I'm seriously uneducated about boxing. Can you tell me a point (like the minutes/seconds) of the Trinidad video where he's throwing a trip-hammer jab, because I have to be honest...I have no idea what it is.

Thanks!

Every jab he throws. See how his guard is high? The trip-hammer style jab comes down from the guard with the fist nearly vertical. What defines it is two things: how fast it falls, and how it doesn't seem very hard. Trinidad used it to distract opponents and set up his power-shots.

Here's a Fight that doesn't end so quick, but he throws it sparingly.

YouTube - felix tito trinidad vs hassine cherifi

Back