VivaRevolution

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The Maps of Israeli Settlements That Shocked Barack Obama

By Adam Entous

July 9, 2018

Entous-West-Bank-Settlements-Map.jpg

A State Department map shows Palestinian population centers in the West Bank. Obama was surprised to see how “systematic” the Israelis had been at cutting them off from one another.

One afternoon in the spring of 2015, a senior State Department official named Frank Lowenstein paged through a government briefing book and noticed a map that he had never seen before. Lowenstein was the Obama Administration’s special envoy on Israeli-Palestinian negotiations, a position that exposed him to hundreds of maps of the West Bank. (One adorned his State Department office.)

Typically, those maps made Jewish settlements and outposts look tiny compared to the areas where the Palestinians lived. The new map in the briefing book was different. It showed large swaths of territory that were off limits to Palestinian development and filled in space between the settlements and the outposts. At that moment, Lowenstein told me, he saw “the forest for the trees”—not only were Palestinian population centers cut off from one another but there was virtually no way to squeeze a viable Palestinian state into the areas that remained. Lowenstein’s team did the math. When the settlement zones, the illegal outposts, and the other areas off limits to Palestinian development were consolidated, they covered almost sixty per cent of the West Bank.

Lowenstein showed the small map to Secretary of State John Kerry and said, “Look what’s really going on here.” Kerry brought the map to his next meeting with President Obama. The map was too small for everyone in the Situation Room to see, so Lowenstein had a series of larger maps made. The information was then verified by U.S. intelligence agencies. Obama’s Presidency was winding down, but Lowenstein figured that he could use the time left to raise awareness about what the Israelis were doing. “One day, everyone’s going to wake up and go, ‘Wait a minute, we’ve got to stop this to at least have the possibility of a two-state solution,’ ” Lowenstein said.

The State Department presentation, which was prepared in 2015 and updated in 2016, showed examples of what the State Department identified as “Palestinian incitement” and maps depicting Israel’s settlement growth in the West Bank. One of the maps was titled “What a One State Reality Looks Like,” and included a bullet point that read, “In the combined areas of Israel, Jerusalem, the West Bank and the Gaza Strip, Jews no longer represent the majority.” (Israeli officials have said that the number of Jews and Arabs is at or near parity

Kerry met regularly with Obama in the Oval Office. During one of those meetings, Kerry placed the maps on a large coffee table, one after another, so Obama and his advisers could study them. Ben Rhodes, one of Obama’s longest-serving advisers, said the President was shocked to see how “systematic” the Israelis had been at cutting off Palestinian population centers from one another. Lowenstein didn’t show the maps to the Israelis, but he did walk them through the key findings, which were incorporated into Kerry speeches and other documents. Lowenstein said the Israelis never challenged those findings.

Later, Kerry presented some of the maps to Mahmoud Abbas, the Palestinian President. Kerry’s goal was to show Abbas that the Obama Administration understood the extent to which the two-state solution was threatened. Abbas was taken aback. Instead of feeling reassured, he told a confidant that the maps convinced him that the Americans believed “the chances of a viable Palestinian state is next to nil.” Alarmed by Israeli actions depicted in the maps, Obama decided to abstain on a U.N. Security Council resolution condemning the settlements, clearing the way for its passage. It would be Obama’s final act of defiance against Benjamin Netanyahu, the Israeli Prime Minister, before Donald Trump took office and put in place policies that were far more accepting of the settlers.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/the-map-of-israeli-settlements-that-shocked-barack-obama

I'm sure many can't read between the lines on this story.

If you can't have a 2 state solution, and you aren't willing to give citizenship to the Palestineans, then you are creating a aparthied state.

In fact, I would go further, and say the Israelis plan on engaging in a systemic attack of isolation on those communities until they literally or figuratively die off.

Palestinean ghettos if you would.

Discuss........

Dumb question, but where exactly are their walls separating the 2? Are they around those Palestinian areas?

Also, and pardon my ignorance on this matter, is the idea of building a wal around Hebron a point of contention??? Isn’t that temple or whatever it is significant to both the Israelis and the Palestinians??

Also, is that temple in Hebron where Baruch Goldstein murdered a bunch of people while dressed as an Israeli soldier???

Also, and pardon my ignorance on this matter, is the idea of building a wal around Hebron a point of contention??? Isn’t that temple or whatever it is significant to both the Israelis and the Palestinians??

Also, is that temple in Hebron where Baruch Goldstein murdered a bunch of people while dressed as an Israeli soldier???

Not sure on this. I'm sure someone reading this will know though.

viva what would be your solution to this issue, give me a possible/probable solution, not some pie in the sky I wish solution.

Whoever gives more in negotiation for a two state solution gets preferred US trade and military treaty's.

Whoever wins in negotiations gets massive sanctions for 10 years on trade and military.

If they don't come to an agreement, we slap them both with blockades.

Create a scenario where they both have to be suicidal not to come to a deal, and reward the most reasonable party.

viva what would be your solution to this issue, give me a possible/probable solution, not some pie in the sky I wish solution.
Wipe them off the map. [joke] *cough*

Also, I'd be shocked if Obama was "shocked" by this.

I don't know about that. 10 years ago this wasn't true.

I don't think it is unbelievable that we were taking Israel at it's word, that they want a two state solution.

I don't know about that. 10 years ago this wasn't true.

I don't think it is unbelievable that we were taking Israel at it's word, that they want a two state solution.
im not up to date on this entire situation and its history

havent they supposedly been close a couple times. i though israel gave back a bunch of land for on of the agreements that fell through?

but 6 million jews were killed in the holocaust? this is pure anti-semitism!

You clearly have one civ progressing and winning the other barley hanging on.

Gee who will win
Any other time in history there would not be this much compassion. They would be done

We already have enough terrorist states in the world. We don’t need another one.

There is so much here. I posted this same piece on the 'flip-flop' thread the other day.

The Maps of Israeli Settlements That Shocked Barack Obama

By Adam Entous

July 9, 2018

Entous-West-Bank-Settlements-Map.jpg

A State Department map shows Palestinian population centers in the West Bank. Obama was surprised to see how “systematic” the Israelis had been at cutting them off from one another.

One afternoon in the spring of 2015, a senior State Department official named Frank Lowenstein paged through a government briefing book and noticed a map that he had never seen before. Lowenstein was the Obama Administration’s special envoy on Israeli-Palestinian negotiations, a position that exposed him to hundreds of maps of the West Bank. (One adorned his State Department office.)

Typically, those maps made Jewish settlements and outposts look tiny compared to the areas where the Palestinians lived. The new map in the briefing book was different. It showed large swaths of territory that were off limits to Palestinian development and filled in space between the settlements and the outposts. At that moment, Lowenstein told me, he saw “the forest for the trees”—not only were Palestinian population centers cut off from one another but there was virtually no way to squeeze a viable Palestinian state into the areas that remained. Lowenstein’s team did the math. When the settlement zones, the illegal outposts, and the other areas off limits to Palestinian development were consolidated, they covered almost sixty per cent of the West Bank.

Lowenstein showed the small map to Secretary of State John Kerry and said, “Look what’s really going on here.” Kerry brought the map to his next meeting with President Obama. The map was too small for everyone in the Situation Room to see, so Lowenstein had a series of larger maps made. The information was then verified by U.S. intelligence agencies. Obama’s Presidency was winding down, but Lowenstein figured that he could use the time left to raise awareness about what the Israelis were doing. “One day, everyone’s going to wake up and go, ‘Wait a minute, we’ve got to stop this to at least have the possibility of a two-state solution,’ ” Lowenstein said.

The State Department presentation, which was prepared in 2015 and updated in 2016, showed examples of what the State Department identified as “Palestinian incitement” and maps depicting Israel’s settlement growth in the West Bank. One of the maps was titled “What a One State Reality Looks Like,” and included a bullet point that read, “In the combined areas of Israel, Jerusalem, the West Bank and the Gaza Strip, Jews no longer represent the majority.” (Israeli officials have said that the number of Jews and Arabs is at or near parity

Kerry met regularly with Obama in the Oval Office. During one of those meetings, Kerry placed the maps on a large coffee table, one after another, so Obama and his advisers could study them. Ben Rhodes, one of Obama’s longest-serving advisers, said the President was shocked to see how “systematic” the Israelis had been at cutting off Palestinian population centers from one another. Lowenstein didn’t show the maps to the Israelis, but he did walk them through the key findings, which were incorporated into Kerry speeches and other documents. Lowenstein said the Israelis never challenged those findings.

Later, Kerry presented some of the maps to Mahmoud Abbas, the Palestinian President. Kerry’s goal was to show Abbas that the Obama Administration understood the extent to which the two-state solution was threatened. Abbas was taken aback. Instead of feeling reassured, he told a confidant that the maps convinced him that the Americans believed “the chances of a viable Palestinian state is next to nil.” Alarmed by Israeli actions depicted in the maps, Obama decided to abstain on a U.N. Security Council resolution condemning the settlements, clearing the way for its passage. It would be Obama’s final act of defiance against Benjamin Netanyahu, the Israeli Prime Minister, before Donald Trump took office and put in place policies that were far more accepting of the settlers.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/the-map-of-israeli-settlements-that-shocked-barack-obama

I'm sure many can't read between the lines on this story.

If you can't have a 2 state solution, and you aren't willing to give citizenship to the Palestineans, then you are creating a aparthied state.

In fact, I would go further, and say the Israelis plan on engaging in a systemic attack of isolation on those communities until they literally or figuratively die off.

Palestinean ghettos if you would.

Discuss........
Question: Did Obama not know or was that political cover? After Trump's Jerusalem move, it's hard to say.

The two-state solution is done. The Israeli regime was never going to allow for it. Look at the maps:

FourMaps.jpg

Where would a contiguous Palestine even be?

Let's look at just the West bank:

israel-map-of-palestinian-control.png

Be serious!

Dumb question, but where exactly are their walls separating the 2? Are they around those Palestinian areas?
Not dumb, ignorant, Americans know nothing of this region. It's actually worse as they believe many obvious lies.

Yes, Palestine is separated by walls. Activists refer to these as genocide walls. Look at the maps above. What most people call Palestine today is actually three separate areas.

1) You have the famous Gaza strip. This is the area that Israel claims to have left years ago which is true. Hamas governs here. They were elected democratically, but most Palestinians and even most Gazans do not support the ideas of their extremist leaders. Since the Israelis pulled out, the Israelis have bombed these people regularly. Literally every time they rebuild.

For clarity, nearly 2 million people live here, mostly women and children. It is a tiny piece of land, surrounded by walls. These people have nowhere to go. They can't hide their kids from these bombing raids. It has been called the largest open air prison on earth. It is a massive concentration camp, if you will. This has been a testing ground for Israeli weaponry.

Think about that. Nearly 2 million people, locked behind walls who are bombed regularly.

Hitler never even did that shit.

2) You have the West bank area and if you see the small map above, you can see how this area looks more like a piece of Swiss cheese than anything else. There is not even a contiguous West Bank any longer as White/Jewish only settlements (towns, cities) have been built where Palestinians lived for ages.

This is pretty much what Hitler envisioned for Europe.

To make matters worse, the settlers dump their trash and plumb their sewage into the Palestinian ares. Additionally, many times groups of drunken settlers appear with automatic weapons and just start shooting. The IDF literally has their backs. This is clearly 'state funded terror.'

Picture a group of illegal immigrants with their own fucking army that took your guns and then comes down for drunken fun to play shoot-em-up as your kids are trying to sleep. If you can do that, you will begin to get the picture.

3) Al-Quds/Jerusalem!

Never - AND I MEAN EVER - has Jerusalem/Al-Quds ever even been part of Israel! Look it up, this is so important. If any Trump trolls can pass that on to Donald, that would be great as we might be able to avert WWIII.

Whoever gives more in negotiation for a two state solution gets preferred US trade and military treaty's.
Hogwash, the US already know that two states are impossible. The Palestinians accepted two states twice. Once in '88 and again in the early 90s on the White House fucking lawn!

They got zero preferred anything from the US ever. The zionist war project has gotten jillions. From every President and regardless of party.

im not up to date on this entire situation and its history

havent they supposedly been close a couple times. i though israel gave back a bunch of land for on of the agreements that fell through?
Zionist talking points. I could go into details, but this is long enough. Sorry.

Just remember that it was the Palestinians who accepted two states twice, but it was the Israelis who would never let this happen.

As far as giving land back? Silly, they had no land to begin with. Everything is stolen. It would be like me and my friends come over and throw you and your family out of the house your grandfather built and then we allow you to move back in if you agree to live in the basement and crap in a bucket.

We already have enough terrorist states in the world. We don’t need another one.
Israel IS A TERRORIST STATE! See above please and stop posting idiotic MEMRI propaganda videos. That crap is not even designed to fool some of our least critical thinkers.

Last edited:
I am losing interest in this whole conflict because its obviously no one wants peace.
So they might as well just fight it out or kill each other for the next 100 years.
Just don't spread your shit around the world.

This conflict would be so easy for the Palestinians to win. All they would have to do is be peaceful for 10 years and they get everything they ask for within reason. Everyone is just waiting for the opportunity to shit all over the Jews again. Including a large amount of Israelis themselves. And yet the Palestinians behave so incredibly stupid that you can't even take their side. Which would be the morally and historical side to take for most of the world.

But no they have to use children as suicide bombers.
At some point, you have to say well maybe you just deserve to live like that.
Because the way of changing it is right there.

Last edited:
Hogwash, the US already know that two states are impossible. The Palestinians accepted two states twice. Once in '88 and again in the early 90s on the White House fucking lawn!

They got zero preferred anything from the US ever. The zionist war project has gotten jillions. From every President and regardless of party.

I must have missed this, what proposals/solutions did the Palestinians accept?

I refuse to believe this information wasnt already readily available. Shit has been obvious for decades. Palestinians are being colonized. That isnt news.

Clickbait

Seriously, the whole thing sounds fucked and it's one of situations where I can't seem to care either way. There doesn't seem to be a good side or bad. Once children and women are used a suicide bombers, you've kind of lost any credibility for the moral high ground.

Why have borders at all and let everyone just live where they want to live... why two "Governments"? It seems doomed to fail. Are Palestinians only forced to live in those areas and not allowed to leave or integrate?

Back