The Masters of the Universe

10 super-rich people dominate giving to super PACs active in midterm elections for Congress

636549026054304002-022318-Donors-ONLINE.png

Don't really see the point of added commentary. This is simply vital information that I knew the WR would want to see.

It's so generous of those people to give away all that money and expect nothing return.

I think you're reading the wrong message. The blue donors are what people around here will refer to pejoratively as "Clinton democrats".
Consider this: you are a candidate that wants to support left-wing economics, or you are a candidate that does not want to be beholden to special interest. Imagine how hard it would be for a candidate to convince a middle-class person to donate $100 to his campaign. Now imagine having to fund a several million dollar campaign this way, one small donor at a time. Your fundraising is orders of magnitude more difficult than candidates that get money from wealthy donors. The small donor candidate will always be at a huge disadvantage.

You're not wrong, but also nothing that you said is at odds with my post. I was speaking to the motivations of the donors; you're talking about the effects they'll have.

When it comes to state/local elections (including for the House/Senate), I feel like donations should only be allowed from those who reside the locality. Someone who is a permanent resident of California shouldn't be able to donate money to the campaign of a Kansas state-senator.

Last edited:
I'm not sure this thread is going exactly the way @Madmick planned. Maybe though?

latest
It's going exactly as expected.

This is a PSA more than a discussion thread. Jot the names down.

INDIAN WELLS, Calif. – The network of groups affiliated with billionaire brothers Charles and David Koch will spend more than $400 million on conservative causes and candidates in the 2018 midterm election cycle.

Americans for Prosperity President Tim Phillips said Saturday that the investment would be the network’s largest election cycle investment ever — 60 percent greater than the 2016 presidential cycle — as Republicans seek to protect majorities in the House and Senate against stiff political headwinds.

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...00-million-during-2018-midterm-election-cycle

OP is chump change.

It's going exactly as expected.

This is a PSA more than a discussion thread. Jot the names down.

You heard him, boys. Post your favorite He-Man fan fiction here.

Does the list include PACs. PACs are in because it is tougher to put who is funding them.

INDIAN WELLS, Calif. – The network of groups affiliated with billionaire brothers Charles and David Koch will spend more than $400 million on conservative causes and candidates in the 2018 midterm election cycle.

Americans for Prosperity President Tim Phillips said Saturday that the investment would be the network’s largest election cycle investment ever — 60 percent greater than the 2016 presidential cycle — as Republicans seek to protect majorities in the House and Senate against stiff political headwinds.

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...00-million-during-2018-midterm-election-cycle

OP is chump change.
These are networks, not individuals.

These are networks, not individuals.
Charles and David Koch are individuals. I think the network they have to influence politicians counts just as much as individual contributions. I'm obviously not conflating the two.

Are you saying that the Koch's aren't "Master's of the Universe" because their individual donations aren't as high as the others's? Do you think I was critiquing your OP? I'm not sure what you're after here.

Charles and David Koch are individuals. I think the network they have to influence politicians counts just as much as individual contributions. I'm obviously not conflating the two.
They are, but those donations are not. Americans for Prosperity is not just those two.
Are you saying that the Koch's aren't "Master's of the Universe" because their individual donations aren't as high as the others's? Do you think I was critiquing your OP? I'm not sure what you're after here.
Where the hell are you getting all this subtext? Charles Koch is literally one of my named "Masters of the Universe" in the OP.

I'm pointing out that comparing individual donations as part of network donors (PACs and Super PACs) is not analogous to comparing network donations without citation of individual contribution. The OP talks about individuals within networks. The Hill article talks about group donations that are already at the network-level.

OP is chump change.
maybe they could divert some of that money like 30 land miles north to my neck of the woods....

no?
we still suck?

allright, drive on, good times

So democrats got more...
Yeah, they're just as swampy-- if not more swampy-- at the top. The website listing campaign contributions during the campaign between the two major candidates revealed that.

I'd say it's a wash, and that politicizing this is the absolute worst possible approach. That's for the ignorant. As Sun Tzu taught, the greatest masters deal in personnel.

So democrats got more...

What do you mean by more? This really shouldn't be a partisan issue, but even if that's where you want to take the discussion, that's not how those numbers add up.

Total Republican Donations: $30.4m
Total Democratic Donations: $29.4m

Somehow we the people need to make campaign donations from the ultra-rich ultra-unpopular. Basically, if candidates receive even a dollar from a mega-corp or rich fuck who has no understanding of the life of commoners they're obliterated in the media.

Honestly, there probably isn't a more pressing issue for the average American regardless of political affiliation than to help remove money from politics.

Don't really see the point of added commentary. This is simply vital information that I knew the WR would want to see.

Pretty amazing. 'Super PACs' may accept unlimited contributions (bottom).

am i retarded, or should inherently less money be spent now w/ social media and the wider spread/ease of communication?

'donald's free press' and all that, so it's actually getting more absurd on face value.

I can't speak to your cognitive faculties.

But you're right that it's less necessary, but necessity was never the only, nor even the primary, motor of rising campaign spending. You're still going to be at a distinct disadvantage if your opponent is spending $20 million hiring 10000 people and you are only spending $2 million and hiring 100 people.

Back