The MilkMan Delivers: Beyond

Nice job milky. Getting a pr in front of the misses, pfwoar it's good to be king.

Hey MilkMan, congrats with the pr and merry xmas!

Got a little question, do you have any experience with strength shop products? Especially the barbells they sell?

Hey MilkMan, congrats with the pr and merry xmas!

Got a little question, do you have any experience with strength shop products? Especially the barbells they sell?
Thank you frystyle. I have an olympic bar from Strength Shop, a heavy duty utility bench, some cast iron plates and my knee sleeves, my girlfriend also has some wrist wraps from there.
Most of my stuff I picked up from their clearance section, so got what I consider to be good prices on them. Delivery and service is top notch too. Although delivery is a little pricey, it is very quick, considering it comes down to me from Scotland. Any queries or complaints have been promptly answered too.
I'm happy with the Strength Shop products I have, and would use them again.

Thank you frystyle. I have an olympic bar from Strength Shop, a heavy duty utility bench, some cast iron plates and my knee sleeves, my girlfriend also has some wrist wraps from there.
Most of my stuff I picked up from their clearance section, so got what I consider to be good prices on them. Delivery and service is top notch too. Although delivery is a little pricey, it is very quick, considering it comes down to me from Scotland. Any queries or complaints have been promptly answered too.
I'm happy with the Strength Shop products I have, and would use them again.
Thanks for the info. Do you have their 2028 original Barbell or another one? I might buy that one but I am not sure if it is very good.

Okay, and is there a specific reason you bought an olympic weightlifting bar? Does it differ much from a powerlifting bar?
Yeah the main reason was cost, at the time they had one heavily discounted so I bought it. It does the job and I like the bar, I'm not enough of an expert to know the differences between it and a specific powerlifting bar,but it certainly does what I need it to do.

Long workout whilst "working from home"

Overhead press

20kg x 10
20kg x 10
20kg x 10
20kg x 10
30kg x 10
30kg x 10
50kg x 10
50kg x 10
50kg x 10
50kg x 10
50kg x 10

Front squat
50kg x 3
60kg x 3
70kg x 3
90kg x 1
90kg x 1
100kg x 1
100kg x 1
110kg x 1
120kg x 1
130kg x 1 - PR. New 1RM.

Last edited:
Yeah the main reason was cost, at the time they had one heavily discounted so I bought it. It does the job and I like the bar, I'm not enough of an expert to know the differences between it and a specific powerlifting bar,but it certainly does what I need it to do.
Alright then, thanks for the info!

Congratulations, you have been visited and blessed by the Fonz.
The-Fonz-fb-like.jpg

Bugger me, wasn't really planning on "bulking" this Christmas, but I just did an end of year weigh in, and am back up to 221lbs / 100kg after being around the 93 / 94 kg mark most of the year, oops.

Alright then, thanks for the info!

Just to weigh in on this, difference between an Olympic Weightlifting bar and a power bar are usually the below:
  • Oly bar has no centre knurl
  • Oly bar has "whip" and may be made of more pliable steel (not a bad thing)
  • Oly bar has grip markings slightly further out (power bar is 81cm between markings, 91cm on an Oly bar)
  • Good Oly bars have bearings in, power bars have bushings. This is required for spin, power bars don't need this extra cost
  • Power bars usually have sharper knurling
  • Finally, Oly bars are slightly smaller in diameter, usually 28mm. A Texas power bar is 28.5mm and other power bars are 29mm - this makes them stiffer
There are obviously exceptions to the above, but when barbell shopping these are good guidelines.

My coach has advised me against using the Oly bars for pressing as he says they can wreck your shoulders. Considering he benches 5 plates I take the advice!

Just to weigh in on this, difference between an Olympic Weightlifting bar and a power bar are usually the below:
  • Oly bar has grip markings slightly further out (power bar is 81cm between markings, 91cm on an Oly bar
  • Good Oly bars have bearings in, power bars have bushings. This is required for spin, power bars don't need this extra cost
  • Finally, Oly bars are slightly smaller in diameter, usually 28mm. A Texas power bar is 28.5mm and other power bars are 29mm - this makes them stiffer
There are obviously exceptions to the above, but when barbell shopping these are good guidelines.

My coach has advised me against using the Oly bars for pressing as he says they can wreck your shoulders. Considering he benches 5 plates I take the advice!

There you go! Thanks OT (and happy new year to you).

Happy new year Milky. Have a jpg on me:
12274420_1041581025894364_3064074302325046631_n.jpg

• Oly bar has grip markings slightly further out (power bar is 81cm between markings, 91cm on an Oly bar)

Thanks for the really informative reply! :D

Back