The Mist - New adaptation on Spike (UPDATE: Show is canceled)

G

Guestx

I just ran across this. Frankly, I want to be excited but after watching the trailer I'm just not. It does not look great to me.

I may still check it out anyway, though. Premieres June 22.

This looks great can't wait to see this. I really liked the movie. Ending is easily one of the most fucked up endings in a movie ever.

This looks great can't wait to see this. I really liked the movie. Ending is easily one of the most fucked up endings in a movie ever.

I've heard that about the ending. I still haven't seen it, though.

I dunno, looks kind of like sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyit.

I dunno, looks kind of like sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyit.

To me, it definitely has a very bland made-for-TV feel. I watched the trailer and was like, "Well, I guess Spike isn't going to be challenging AMC or HBO in the original programming category any time soon."

But like I said, I think I'll still give it a look just to make sure.

A lot of fans of the novella didn't like the ending of the film, but I thought it was absolutely brilliant. It kind of highlighted the hopelessness they felt during the film.

I'll watch this whenever it makes its way over here. No sign of it on the UK spike channel yet.

A lot of fans of the novella didn't like the ending of the film, but I thought it was absolutely brilliant. It kind of highlighted the hopelessness they felt during the film.

I'll watch this whenever it makes its way over here. No sign of it on the UK spike channel yet.

Yea that almost always happens with book people. I never read the book so I thought it was great.

Yea that almost always happens with book people. I never read the book so I thought it was great.

I always try and treat them as 2 separate entities to be honest. Films should not try to copy the books, rather retell the story. If I recall, even Steven King was happy with the film.

To me, it definitely has a very bland made-for-TV feel. I watched the trailer and was like, "Well, I guess Spike isn't going to be challenging AMC or HBO in the original programming category any time soon."

But like I said, I think I'll still give it a look just to make sure.

It might be suffering from just a bad trailer filled with annoying modern horror trailer editing cliches. But I'd need to hear a lot of great things about it before I find time to try it out. It's not like Spike has earned a lot of artistic goodwill with me over the years.

I always try and treat them as 2 separate entities to be honest. Films should not try to copy the books, rather retell the story. If I recall, even Steven King was happy with the film.

If there's any author where the books and films should be looked at separately, it's Stephen King. He has had good books utterly trashed in film form, and even had only pretty good books made into great films.

It might be suffering from just a bad trailer filled with annoying modern horror trailer editing cliches. But I'd need to hear a lot of great things about it before I find time to try it out. It's not like Spike has earned a lot of artistic goodwill with me over the years.

Spike is actually an interesting case because it's a network that has largely lost its way.

If you remember, they used to be the GUY'S NETWORK. You know, they had this whole focus of programming aimed at young males. The UFC, 1,000 Ways to Die, Deadliest Warrior, etc. And while, aside from the UFC, I never gave a shit about any of that, it at least gave the network a distinctive identity. Somewhere along the way though they just became the channel where you can watch Cops and Bellator. How that happened, I'm not sure. But it strikes me as a big mistake.

In any case, not sure you heard, but Spike is getting rebranded as the Paramount Network. We'll see what that means for their programming. That does not sound like a channel you'd find any MMA on.

Goddammit you lazy fucking cunts in Hollywood come up with something original!!! Who tf needs The Mist the tv series/retelling? Fuck off

Agreed. I've read books and then watched the movie so I know how book readers feel. Like you though I always try and treat them separately and honestly sometimes I'm just happy to get some sort of visual context to what I read even if it's not as well done all the time.

In any case, not sure you heard, but Spike is getting rebranded as the Paramount Network. We'll see what that means for their programming. That does not sound like a channel you'd find any MMA on.

Didn't hear about this. I wonder how this will affect Bellator.

Didn't hear about this. I wonder how this will affect Bellator.

It looks like it's going to happen sometime in 2018. Here's something by Kevin Kay, Spike president, from an internal memo that went out:

All-

Today is a watershed moment for us at Spike.

It is the culmination of years of hard work transforming Spike into a premium entertainment destination. The time is right to take the next big leap forward – to capitalize on this moment when the appetite for powerful storytelling and high-quality cinematic production has never been greater in television.

The time is right for THE PARAMOUNT NETWORK.

For more than 100 years, the iconic Paramount name has been closely associated with the biggest stars and most compelling stories in all of entertainment. It’s a studio known worldwide with unparalleled brand recognition. As one of the biggest media companies in the world, Viacom has an incredibly wide-ranging portfolio of indelible brands that have unique and powerful relationships with broad and diverse audiences across the globe, including the successful Paramount Channel aired internationally, from France to Latin America to Russia.

The big news for all of us today is that Spike will re-brand as The Paramount Network over the next year – with a tentative launch scheduled for early 2018.

The Paramount Network will take Spike’s already strong programming mix and amplify it with the Paramount brand. Its focus will be on building distinctive, high-quality scripted and non-scripted original programming – with dramas, comedies, documentaries, movies, sports and tentpole events. It will also incorporate third-party programming, as well as films from other studio’s libraries.

The new leadership team under Bob Bakish has great confidence in our ability to make The Paramount Network a huge success. We will have more information to share on the re-brand in the coming weeks – and know that I intend to keep you updated along the way.

But for now, let me say how much I look forward to taking this exciting next step with you. I hope you are as fired up as I am for the future!

Kevin

It looks like it's going to happen sometime in 2018. Here's something by Kevin Kay, Spike president, from an internal memo that went out:

All-

Today is a watershed moment for us at Spike.

It is the culmination of years of hard work transforming Spike into a premium entertainment destination. The time is right to take the next big leap forward – to capitalize on this moment when the appetite for powerful storytelling and high-quality cinematic production has never been greater in television.

The time is right for THE PARAMOUNT NETWORK.

For more than 100 years, the iconic Paramount name has been closely associated with the biggest stars and most compelling stories in all of entertainment. It’s a studio known worldwide with unparalleled brand recognition. As one of the biggest media companies in the world, Viacom has an incredibly wide-ranging portfolio of indelible brands that have unique and powerful relationships with broad and diverse audiences across the globe, including the successful Paramount Channel aired internationally, from France to Latin America to Russia.

The big news for all of us today is that Spike will re-brand as The Paramount Network over the next year – with a tentative launch scheduled for early 2018.

The Paramount Network will take Spike’s already strong programming mix and amplify it with the Paramount brand. Its focus will be on building distinctive, high-quality scripted and non-scripted original programming – with dramas, comedies, documentaries, movies, sports and tentpole events. It will also incorporate third-party programming, as well as films from other studio’s libraries.

The new leadership team under Bob Bakish has great confidence in our ability to make The Paramount Network a huge success. We will have more information to share on the re-brand in the coming weeks – and know that I intend to keep you updated along the way.

But for now, let me say how much I look forward to taking this exciting next step with you. I hope you are as fired up as I am for the future!

Kevin

So looks like they plan to keep Bellator around. Thought maybe they'd move them to another channel or something.

Interesting, apparently Spike is also planning on airing a six-part mini-series on the Waco incident.

Spike TV has picked up rights to Waco, the Weinstein Television event series that will star Michael Shannon and Taylor Kitsch as David Koresh. The planned six-parter is based on the true story of the 1993 FBI siege of Koresh’s Branch Davidians compound near Waco, Texas that ended in a deadly shootout and fire at the conclusion of a 51-day standoff.

John Erick Dowdle and Drew Dowdle penned the script and John Erick Dowdle will direct. The series, announced over the summer, will go into production next spring. It will explore the true life details leading up to and chronicling the siege between the FBI, the ATF and the religious sect, told from several perspectives of those involved. The series is based on two biographies: A Place Called Waco, by Branch Davidian survivor David Thibodeau, and Stalling For Time: My Life As An FBI Hostage Negotiator, written by the FBI’s Special Agent in Charge of Negotiations Gary Noesner. Shannon will portray Noesner.

Shannon, Kitsch and the Dowdles are executive producing with TWC co-chairmen Harvey Weinstein and Bob Weinstein, president and COO David Glasser, and Weinstein TV Co-Head of Production Jennifer Malloy and Head of Scripted Television Megan Spanjian. Spike TV EVP Original Series Sharon Levy, SVP Scripted Original Series Ted Gold and VP Scripted Programing Lauren Ruggiero will oversee the project for Spike.

“The dramatic events in Waco captivated the nation, and we are thrilled to partner with Weinstein Television and an all-star cast and production team to bring this incredible story to life,” Levy said in the release announcing the deal.

Added Harvey Weinstein: “We’ve been working with our friend Kevin Kay at Spike for years. He has a rare gift for creating quality scripted television with commercial appeal and when he shared his vision for both the program and his goals for the network I knew we had found the perfect partner. Waco is a provocative series where the drama and excitement are amplified by the truth and the history surrounding the event, along with a cast of amazing actors including the incredible Michael Shannon and Taylor Kitsch. We are looking forward to working with Sharon Levy and her team to bring this story to life.”

Source: http://deadline.com/2016/10/waco-ev...hannon-taylor-kitsch-weinstein-tv-1201842998/

So looks like they plan to keep Bellator around. Thought maybe they'd move them to another channel or something.

The mention of sports is certainly encouraging. Bellator doesn't want to have to go back to MTV2.

Back