The Mist - New adaptation on Spike (UPDATE: Show is canceled)

My main issue is there is nothing in the Mist so far that is just,the otherworldly disturbing stuff,yhat drove the character conflict in the movie. The stuff thst really made characters freak out. So far all the charactera killed in the Mist have been killed by bugs. Not anything supernatural and otherworldly just bugs. Except for the shade.

I think we're building up to something bigger. But kind of like with Stranger Things, for me, the supernatural happenings are the LEAST interesting about the story so I don't really care.

So far all the conflict is cheap stuff that was there prior to the Mist.

Well I think that's just it, in times of peace sometimes the conflict inside of us can be buried deep down, but a stressful occasion can bring it to the surface. And that's what we're seeing in the show.

All the shit that is usually managed well enough is now rising to the top.

The Mist was a hugely underrated film, one of the best horror flicks IMO, and quite possibly top 3 film adaptation of King's books. This is just Hollywood once again being fucking lazy and cashing in, knowing fully well that millennials won't even know that a superior film already exists.

Ep 5 is the latest on demand.

The gay kid's gotta be the ugliest actor ever. He's got those niche roles locked down at least.

Spike TV allows use of the word shit, but during Ep 5, Alyssa Sutherland does a topless sex scene, and it looked like they came close to showing nipples, but no nipples were to be found. Just a brief back side boob when she puts a robe on.

Looking forward to this series, doesn't air here until 25th August though.

Looking forward to this series, doesn't air here until 25th August though.

Temper your expectations. Greatly.

I must have read the novella half a dozen times in my teens and practically touched myself waiting for Darabonts adaptation. Aside from the final 30 seconds, it was superb.

Even though I tried to keep my hopes in check I couldn't help being excited about the tv series. Even as I'm watching it I'm trying to figure out if there's any element of the story I'm actually looking forward to and there really isn't much.

And that fucking goth kid. Goddammit. Who the fuck thinks making a gay, emo, goth, progressive, whiner is gonna get people to say "Thats my favorite character".

Last edited:
Started watching it but when the scene the morning after the party came I just stopped...Don't see the need for that in this kind of show.

This show is awful but in an entertaining way. The characters are all one dimensional stereotypes who constantly do stupid things that real people would never do and there's no real consistency as to what effect the mist has on people.

I almost feel like they're trying to give it an environmental message like it's The Happening 2 or something. Now that i think about it, that's also a movie were sometimes they could run around outside and be fine, but when the plot needed there would be dire consequences.

Can't wait to see what they come up with next!

In a related note though, i wish Frank Darabont would finally get around to making that low/mid budget version of The Long Walk he talked about years ago.

. . .and there's no real consistency as to what effect the mist has on people.

I've noticed this as well. How exactly does the mist work? We have no idea, at least not in any precise terms. It seems like sometimes characters can be out in the mist for a while and be fine and at other times they go into it and die almost immediately.

My only explanation is that either:

A) The mist itself is not what kills anyone, it's the creatures in the mist, and those creatures are not at all places at all times. So if you're in a creature-free area of the mist you'll be okay.

or

B) There's some kind of intelligence to the mist and it's choosing who to take and when. If you're out in the mist and it doesn't feel like fucking with you, then it won't.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've noticed this as well. How exactly does the mist work? We have no idea, at least not in any precise terms. It seems like sometimes characters can be out in the mist for a while and be fine and at other times they go into it and die almost immediately.

My only explanation is that either:

A) The mist itself is not what kills anyone, it's the creatures in the mist, and those creatures are not at all places at all times. So if you're in a creature-free area of the mist you'll be okay.

or

B) There's some kind of intelligence to the mist and it's choosing who to take and when. If you're out in the mist and it doesn't feel like fucking with you, then it won't.

I wonder if they'll even try to explain it or if they'll just leave it vague. Leaving it vague would probably be for the best. They were probably hoping to ride this into 7 or 8 seasons. :D

I wonder if they'll even try to explain it or if they'll just leave it vague. Leaving it vague would probably be for the best. They were probably hoping to ride this into 7 or 8 seasons. :D

My guess is they leave it vague.

I'm surprised to hear you say you think that's for the best though since you were just criticizing that element of the show.

My guess is they leave it vague.

I'm surprised to hear you say you think that's for the best though since you were just criticizing that element of the show.

I'm saying that from the feeling that they'd probably just fuck it up worse with an explanation. Actually if they do try to explain where the mist came from, that would almost certainly be the case based on how poorly they've handled everything else.

Some more consistency on what the mist does to people would be good though. Pretty sure the mist in the previous incarnations never started mind controlling people to attack and looked into peoples dark pasts like the brother and the possessed teens who beat his ass. This mist seems more like IT than the mist.

Again, I'm not too hard on the show. I find it amusing to watch. It was filmed locally to where I am so I it's nice to pick out landmarks. It's obviously not a good show but i don't watch a ton of tv and have seen every episode. I think they're really trying to do a walking dead type of thing and do a character driven show with the mist being a bit of an afterthought most of the time. Using the mind control gimmick will probably give them half a seasons worth of plot alone!

I have been watching this show because I LOVED the movie. Marcia Gay Harden was a stellar villain, and there were many characters to love and hate.

007MST_Marcia_Gay_Harden_008.jpg

When she was dealt with was an amazing moment in a fun movie.

On to the new show. I was super excited for it. Then within 10 minutes I knew the show was going to be shit. They literally shove some gay stuff, some bi-sexual tranny type stuff and some goth shit right down your throat. The progressive agenda totally seems forced and disrupts the flow, characters and story. Then they start pushing out white guys raping people and then they get racial. Wow, how progressive.

Anyway, it seems like the SJW stuff was more important than building interesting characters and telling good human stories. I didn't connect with anyone. The characters are retarded and I want them all to die. The CGI is awful. The plot is pointless and spins its wheels with bullshit. Nothing seems to be happening.

I hate this show and I have quit after 4 episodes. Fuck this show. Fuck it hard.

Pretty sure the mist in the previous incarnations never started mind controlling people to attack and looked into peoples dark pasts like the brother and the possessed teens who beat his ass.

This is what I was getting at when I mentioned there being an intelligence to the mist. It doesn't seem to just be mindlessly attacking people. The preacher at one point said that he thought the mist was a judgment from God and the brother's story seems to indicate that something like that may be the case.

It's obviously not a good show. . .

Mmm, well I would say that it's certainly not a GREAT show. But I would probably call it good, or at least good enough for me to keep watching.

I think they're really trying to do a walking dead type of thing and do a character driven show with the mist being a bit of an afterthought most of the time.

Yeah, I think so too. Kind of like I was saying earlier to Protectandserve, I think the show is more about the characters' interactions with each other than it is their interactions with the mist. The mist is more of a plot device to facilitate these character interactions.

Didn't have shit to watch last night so I checked up on the most recent episode. Whoever is responsible for that quote during the ads about how this show is better than the movie should have their fingernails peeled off.

The main family is painfully unlikable. From the nagging horse-faced mom, to the angsty teen with her two acting faces (pouty and reticent), to the dweeb dad who gets overpowered by the meekest looking scrub in that hospital (not counting the gay/emo/goth/crybaby). I just want them all to go play in the mist and get eaten by a shitty CG effect.

This is what I was getting at when I mentioned there being an intelligence to the mist. It doesn't seem to just be mindlessly attacking people. The preacher at one point said that he thought the mist was a judgment from God and the brother's story seems to indicate that something like that may be the case.

Definitely something going on in that regard from that scene when everyone watched that little girl get her brains sucked out and didn't bother to help her by opening the door, but the main characters daughter walked out ok.

Are you really enjoying this that much not just for irony's sake though? You must be a bit disappointed if you liked the novel or the movie.

Are you really enjoying this that much not just for irony's sake though? You must be a bit disappointed if you liked the novel or the movie.

I never read the novel or saw the movie, so I have nothing to compare it to. I'm just judging it on its own merits.

I'm not sure if I'm enjoying it "that much," but I'm enjoying it enough keep going, and that enjoyment is sincere. It's not really a so-bad-it's-good kind of thing for me. It's more of a it's-so-fairly-good-that-I-can-give-it-44-minutes-of-my-life-per-week kind of thing.

I think the acting is pretty solid. Some of the players are better than others, but overall, I think these guys are doing a pretty good job.

I think the story is intriguing enough, and the character interactions are interesting enough, that I want to see where they go. Will the main dude and his wife get their marriage on track? Will the daughter and that dude who allegedly raped her get their shit worked out? Will the preacher end up losing his faith or find it strengthened through these events? I'm interested in finding out.

And sure, the effects are not great--I'd say they're uneven, some work pretty well while others do not--but it is a Spike series and not HBO, so I'm willing to give them some allowances for what I suspect to be a fairly low budget for the series.

All in all, I'd give the show a 7/10. The fact that I keep watching is a testament to the writing, because there are plenty of shows that I have started in the past and ended up abandoning two or three eps in because the story just didn't hold my interest.

I never read the novel or saw the movie, so I have nothing to compare it to. I'm just judging it on its own merits.

I'm not sure if I'm enjoying it "that much," but I'm enjoying it enough keep going, and that enjoyment is sincere. It's not really a so-bad-it's-good kind of thing for me. It's more of a it's-so-fairly-good-that-I-can-give-it-44-minutes-of-my-life-per-week kind of thing.

I think the acting is pretty solid. Some of the players are better than others, but overall, I think these guys are doing a pretty good job.

I think the story is intriguing enough, and the character interactions are interesting enough, that I want to see where they go. Will the main dude and his wife get their marriage on track? Will the daughter and that dude who allegedly raped her get their shit worked out? Will the preacher end up losing his faith or find it strengthened through these events? I'm interested in finding out.

And sure, the effects are not great--I'd say they're uneven, some work pretty well while others do not--but it is a Spike series and not HBO, so I'm willing to give them some allowances for what I suspect to be a fairly low budget for the series.

All in all, I'd give the show a 7/10. The fact that I keep watching is a testament to the writing, because there are plenty of shows that I have started in the past and ended up abandoning two or three eps in because the story just didn't hold my interest.

Man, make sure to check the Mist movie from 2007. If you like this, you'll love that!

Man, make sure to check the Mist movie from 2007. If you like this, you'll love that!

I actually have it downloaded, but I want to finish the show first so as to avoid possible story spoilers.

I actually have it downloaded, but I want to finish the show first so as to avoid possible story spoilers.

No spoiler but there's no chance of a spoiler coming from the movie. There's one character who is definitely based off one of the originals, but we're all ready far enough down that road in the TV show that it's not a spoiler at all.

Watched the first two episodes of The Mist. I'm tapping out. Found it to be too dragging. The main characters are annoying. The male lead is miscast. He was great as a villain in Person of Interest and Allegiance. The Mist fits better as a two-hour movie and the show is just stretching it, filling it with dull moments to kill time.

Back