the most annoying guy in BJJ that no one talks about

JosephDredd

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I've heard a million people complain about the "you're really strong" guy after a roll, the spazzy newb, the guy who reeks of weed, the guy who starts speaking with a Brazilian accent, and a dozen more guys, but no one talks about the most annoying guy of them all.

It's the guy who, when asked if you can drill some of reps of a move on him that your trying to learn from a book or DVD, will tell you why the move will never work and try to show you a better move. "Why thanks, no-name purple or no-name brown, I am totally going to discard this technique from one of the most legendary grapplers of all time because you don't like it. This was totally the most productive use of this five minutes I was trying to squeeze in before or after class."

As a purple closing in on my brown belt, I can say that the only way I can successfully drill stuff is to snag a blue because I'm a larger guy and whites can't even hold themselves up.

Literally every single time I've tried to drill moves with someone my rank or higher outside of class I get the same reaction. It's driving me bonkers. I just need a live body to shut up and let me get some reps in and I will happily do the same for you.

I think this was legitimately the reason why I never got anything out of my year-long subscription to BJJ Library (and we were a Ribeiro school, ffs).

But it's never happened to me in judo. In Judo I can grab someone and say, "let me try this variation of a throw I just learned" and they will go into uke mode and let me do my thing. They have no idea how much I appreciate it because I grow so much just from squeezing in a handful of reps when i can.

I've never done BJJ but I can guarantee if you try any of those moves on me I'll snap your wrist and walk away.
giphy.gif

incredible-20fAvrcCyzSKY

No blues in advanced class?

I’ve never had that problem. Keep on trucking, mang.

Very few. I'm grabbing them when I can, but I'm starting to legitimately feel like I'm wasting $200/month because what I really need is to drill my game and am struggling to create opportunities to do so. Frustrating. Not sure what I'm paying for right now.

Yeah it is freaking nightmare.

Sometimes. I will allow the advanced guys drill their own stuff instead of teaching a move.

It turns out to be a fish market with everyone wanting to teach their stuff by imposing them self...lame

As a beginner, I'm always trying to fit in new stuff in my game, not that I don't like what we do in class, but if there's holes in my game that the techniques in class aren't filling I'm not dumb enough to wait for my coach to cover everything I need.

I have pretty much to try it in live sparring because everybody is a know it all, most of the time if I take someone aside to drill it, I will have a peaceful first try, and then, it's them trying to counter it, criticizing it, saying that I must do something wrong because it doesn't work the first time...

I have like 1 or 2 guys that I can do that kind of stuff with, and I really hope that I'm that guy for them too.

Have you tried just telling them to shut up?

I mean say it nicely of course. But also say it a little bit like a dick too if you know what I mean. I think if you just tell them to shut up they probably will.

I have open drill all the time in my classes. I don't have this fish market problem with everyone just talking the whole time.

I do have to tell my students to STFU periodically though. Every couple of months seems to get the message across. It's a small price to pay for an effective training environment.

You have to train people how to drill. I've made some of the best progress in my game when I had a lower belt I trained really well how to STFU and drill (and when I've found good people at my level who know how to drill correctly). But you often do have to show people how to approach drilling, folks don't take to it naturally.

This is in fact the martial art in which people get their blue belts then immediately become bjj bloggers. You ever notice that? How almost all crappy, emo bjj blog posts that show up in your Facebook feed are written by blue belts who now have the expertise to preach to the bjj masses?

I don’t know. Some douches acquire a little bit of skill and all the sudden can’t keep their mouths shut. I agree, it’s annoying as hell.

Have you tried just telling them to shut up?

I mean say it nicely of course. But also say it a little bit like a dick too if you know what I mean. I think if you just tell them to shut up they probably will.

I have open drill all the time in my classes. I don't have this fish market problem with everyone just talking the whole time.

I do have to tell my students to STFU periodically though. Every couple of months seems to get the message across. It's a small price to pay for an effective training environment.

I haven't found a way to shit them up and still wind up drilling. The best I've done is explain why x move is done the way I'm doing it and they'll shrug and say, "Whatever." and I might get a few reps in. Not ideal.

Toronto. It's the going rate.

DAMN

The highest I heard about in Montreal is 120$

I pay about 70$ a month in a superb gym, access to the main gym for S&C, loads of open mat times, loads of classes...

For god sakes, my 4 kids and myself cost me 195$ a month (huge family discount here)

It is possible you are just an ass and no one wants to drill with you. You being Canadian, I find that scenario unlikely, but possible.

Try training up a lower rank drilling buddy if you aren't having any success with the higher ranks. Even if they aren't a good drilling partner yet, you can probably teach them how to be one.

They should reap a lot of benefit too if they get a turn to drill properly. They will enjoy the success and feel good about drilling. They'll talk about it to others who notice their improvement, and suddenly you might find yourself with a nice little core of training partners who are willing to drill without any BS.

Yeah, I have to agree with this. Or it is always funny to see guys who go to class, wanting to learn a technique that they haven't properly memorized and fail at it. As a judo guy, I get asked to show judo throws which is fun, but most newbies rush the techniques and wonder why the technique doesn't work after they missed 1 or 2 steps.

Back