the most annoying guy in BJJ that no one talks about

If it makes you feel better TS I’ve dealt with that before. Luckily over spring break I was able to train with some former college wrestlers and we probably spent an extra hour drilling/sparring. And experimenting on stuff, it was fun. But except for a couple nationally ranked high school kids I help out, most people aren’t good enough to give the proper feel and willing/able to drill correctly. Just either have to be a dick or find someone outside of practice

Easy solution - come to class, remember the last class or open mat your partner missed, and say the professor taught the move then.

Thought this was going to be a Gene Simco thread.

Please don't give up.

It has taken me years to find a good drilling partner.

Someone had mentioned earlier that you should first befriend your potential drilling partner. While I'm not opposed to this, I found that my best partners, either in school or BJJ, were people who I got along just well enough with. If we are too chummy we usually end up gabbin about bullshit. If, however, we are just "nonfriendly" enough, we are both there for business. Otherwise it requires some level of discipline on both ends, which can be hard to maintain if you like to bullshit with people you like.

I found the best indicator of a good training partner to be training frequency as opposed to perceived enthusiasm for drilling (i.e. opera non verba). I have met and tried to meet with people who are often enthusiastic about drilling, even when they flake out on drilling sessions - these people tend to not train a lot or at least regularly. My most consistent training partners were those who trained a lot, liked to compete, or had a real demonstrative passion for the sport (e.g. only came twice a week because of work schedule, etc.).

The stream of Redditors who post a thread when:

They start BJJ
They get a new Belt that isn't Black
JJ Lifestyle type threads

Try training up a lower rank drilling buddy if you aren't having any success with the higher ranks. Even if they aren't a good drilling partner yet, you can probably teach them how to be one.

They should reap a lot of benefit too if they get a turn to drill properly. They will enjoy the success and feel good about drilling. They'll talk about it to others who notice their improvement, and suddenly you might find yourself with a nice little core of training partners who are willing to drill without any BS.

This what I do.

I have like 3 or 4 guys that are white - blue ( one I have been doing side drilling with from white through blue) that I try to line up for weekend drilling. I do all my Kesting/grapple arts stuff that way.

I've heard a million people complain about the "you're really strong" guy after a roll, the spazzy newb, the guy who reeks of weed, the guy who starts speaking with a Brazilian accent, and a dozen more guys...
I can think of a million odors more offensive than weed. Reeking of booze for example. or cigarettes. Dirty teeth, hooker pussy, manure, fish, chemicals, gasoline, skunks, dirty laundry... I've smelled many of these things in bjj class during my travels over the years.

of course reeking of anything in class is not good, so stop singling out the stoners.

Last edited:
I can think of a million odors more offensive than weed. Reeking of booze for example. or cigarettes. Dirty teeth, hooker pussy, manure, fish, chemicals, gasoline, skunks, dirty laundry... I've smelled many of these things in bjj class during my travels over the years.

of course reeking of anything in class is not good, so stop singling out the stoners.
Stoner detected

Weed is like unending farts: it has a stink radius most odours don't have.

Back