The most rabidly delusional fan bases

Came to say this and glad I found your post... some of the worst fucking music of the of the last century.
I was reading a magazine probably 13-15 years ago I think it was a Hit Parader where they had a top 100 list of Vocalist, Guitarist, Band, Songs, Album, ect of Hard Rock and Heavy Metal where they had Nirvana or Kurt Cobain in the top 5 or 10 in every fucking category.

I was reading a magazine probably 13-15 years ago I think it was a Hit Parader where they had a top 100 list of Vocalist, Guitarist, Band, Songs, Album, ect of Hard Rock and Heavy Metal where they had Nirvana or Kurt Cobain in the top 5 or 10 in every fucking category.
giphy.gif

Was going to say Slayer, but OP has them covered.

But really, every metal fan ever. They are obscenely elitist simply because a lot of metal is hard to play. The reality is most of it is fucking retarded. Stupid lyrics and screaming like a schizo in a padded room. There is very little intellectually redeeming about it and this is coming from a big metal fan. And the pedestal metal fans put it on is absolutely ridiculous. It's probably because a big chunk of the metal fan base are weirdos and shut ins who have nothing else other than the music.

Stop shatting in my corn flakes

this whole thread is just you guys shatting in my corn flakes

Corn flakes require milk and perhaps some fruit loops if you're into mixing cereal, not shat, stop it

radiohead fans because they dont know any of the musicians rh ripped off. They are the led zep of the 90s in regards to plagiarism.

Parasite sounds vaguely, and I mean vaguely, like Subterranean Homesick Alien. Besides that and the chord progression of some Hollies songs (everyone rips off chord progressions), do you have any other examples?

Parasite sounds vaguely, and I mean vaguely, like Subterranean Homesick Alien. Besides that and the chord progression of some Hollies songs (everyone rips off chord progressions), do you have any other examples?
the piano roll on karma police is from sexy sadie by the beatles. There is another nick drake song that sounds alot like another song on okcomputer. i forget which one.

the piano roll on karma police is from sexy sadie by the beatles. There is another nick drake song that sounds alot like another song on okcomputer. i forget which one.

That's quite a reach.

As a lifelong Rush fan, I'd say there's some truth that assessment. However, after a while, you just get used to people hating Rush. In my old age, me and most of my Rush fan buddies know the sound isn't (and can't be) for everybody. And that's fine.

Was going to say Slayer, but OP has them covered.

But really, every metal fan ever. They are obscenely elitist simply because a lot of metal is hard to play. The reality is most of it is fucking retarded. Stupid lyrics and screaming like a schizo in a padded room. There is very little intellectually redeeming about it and this is coming from a big metal fan. And the pedestal metal fans put it on is absolutely ridiculous. It's probably because a big chunk of the metal fan base are weirdos and shut ins who have nothing else other than the music.
"Big Metal Fan"

Yeah, given how ignorant your statement is I'd say you're lying through your teeth on that one.

"Every Metal fan ever"

So including yourself?

latest

Every group has their share of lunatics within the fringes of their collective. There's always that one guy who has "Slayer" literally carved into his arm. But he's the exception, not the rule. The overwhelming majority of Slayer fans are not about to take a knife to themselves and lovingly carve out chunks of their own flesh while headbanging to Dead Skin Mask. This rant is not about those individuals. However, there are certain bands whose fanbase seems to be populated with an unusually large number of knuckleheads who seem to be incapable of accepting the fact that not everyone likes their favorite band as much as they do. In fact, they take it as a personal affront if you don't either like their favorite band or at least acknowledge their musical significance. They will then attempt to make a "rational" argument to prove that you are completely wrong and misguided in your entirely subjective view. A phenomenon that I fail to understand. For example, I happen to love bands as disparate as Living Colour and Borgeous. I couldn't care less if you think EDM or Vernon Reid sucks. Don't like it? Cool. Live and let live and different strokes and all that. But some people just can't leave it alone and a shitstorm of hyperbolic vitriol ensues. So here's a list of the most delusional fan bases that I've encountered:

Frank Zappa fans.

Yes, Frank was a rock'n'roll original. Yes, he is criminally unheralded. But I've had Zappa fans tell me in all earnestness that not only is Frank the greatest musician of the 20th Century, he is one of the all time greats. That he is, in fact, equal to or greater than musical titans such as Mozart, Beethoven and Liszt. Are you fucking kidding me?!!?!! Too bad Frank's dead cause he'd be the first to slap your dumbass upside the head.

Phish heads.

Everyone of these tools that I've encountered has been from an upper-middle class family from New England who seems to be genuinely pissed that they didn't get to experience the hippy free-love and drug era of the late 60s. And no, jackass, using a vacuum cleaner as an instrument is not indicative of musical genius. I have in fact witnessed a Phish concert. Wanna know why there's so much drug use at Phish concert? Cause the band's performance is so fucking bland and uninteresting that you need something to keep yourself from dying of boredom. (Or you could just do what I did, and leave...). And no, Trey Anastasio is not greatest thing since sliced bread. He's great, no doubt. But just cause he's got more musical ability and talent in his left pinky than all of KISS put together doesn't mean that I have to like him.

Dead heads.

They smell worse than Jerry's rotten corpse and I find the band that they worship to be more coma-inducing than sodium thiopental. You love em. Great. I think they should be used to torture terror suspects in Gitmo. Can't we all just get along? Except, keep your distance, cause you smell like death warmed over...

Rush/Dream Theater fans.

Some of these fine people seem to think that people who don't like these bands simply are not smart or educated enough to appreciate complex, intricate music. I really don't care for Dream Theater or a large part of the Rush catalog. So, apparently I'm not smart or have insufficient knowledge of music enough to "get it". Well, I actually happen to know the CAGED system, the Circle of Fifths, and have pretty good grasp of modal theory. I'm not a musical genius by any stretch of the imagination but I know enough to know that what these bands do ain't all that impressive (oooo, odd time signatures... as if counting to seven instead of four is all that fucking hard). What these mental simpletons fail to realize is that correlation does not imply causation. Basic rules of logic there, boyos. You know, just because I support gay marriage, it doesn't mean that I'm gay. However, if you happen to like the unabashed f@99otry that is "Time Stands Still", well then you definitely love the cock. That is logically irrefutable.

Iron Maiden fans.

I love Maiden. Fucking love them. But I am embarrassed by some of my fellow Maiden freaks. Get a grip. They're great, but they don't walk on water.

Randy Rhoads fans.

Again, I love Randy but I find it amusing that there are some that are absolutely certain about things that can never, ever, be known. "Randy would've re-invented rock". Too bad we'll never know cause HE'S DEAD! My favorite is when they assert that Randy was the first to introduce classical elements into rock, as if Blackmore, Page, Pete Green, Krieger, Steve Howe, Schenker, and Uli Roth to name a few never existed. Even Ozzy didn't do enough drugs to believe that one.

Metallica fans.

Make a casual remark that you think x guitar player is better than Kirk and they act like you just shat in their corn flakes. And don't even think about mentioning Mustaine. That'll send them into epileptic fits.

KISS fans.

They think that The Elder is the greatest concept record of all time. Nuff said.

Feel free to add or tell me I'm crazy...

TL/DR:

Some fans are annoying shitbags who try too hard to make everyone else as miserable as they are.

Avenged Sevenfold fans. And I say that as someone who likes much of their music.

It is not the entire fanbase, but it is a band that largely attracts tormented teen boys and girls and they tend to be the loudest most annoying ones on the internet. A disproportionate amount of their fans are emo females who say they are "the only good metal band", when half their music is not even metal. It is hard rock. But it is the ultimate "Scene" band.

Every single bandmember is the greatest ever in their eyes in their field. If you disagree they will swarm in droves.

Someone here should go make a post on reddit saying he is a new fan and slowly segue into saying "Wow, the drums got so much better on nightmare, did the drummer take classes?"

Beatles / John Lennon fans. They just can't let that shit go.
100%. The Beatles are the GOAT band (since they're the most influential) but I can't see how they're the GOAT music artists (if such a band or individual can have such a title). They influenced Rock & Pop but there's more genres than Rock & Pop. Can't see how they influenced Jazz, Reggae or Electronic Music for example, it's not like those genres weren't around before or during their peak or anything.

Beatles / John Lennon fans. They just can't let that shit go.

This times a zillion.

It's almost as though it has been passed down by generations and kids feel as though it's ancestor heresy if they don't worship The Beatles like grandpa did.

Fans of anything suck honestly. Just enjoy music you like and move on.

I love Metallica, the 80's material above all by quite a large margin but that fan base is rabid against each other, like a fucking civil war and you gotta pick sides once they changed. I don't mind popping in TBA from time to time but really only listen to certain tracks, that albums been played to death. Load/Reload should've been a double album but I didn't mind the switch . A few songs could have went. Everything after 90's Garage Days I can't listen to. I actually tossed St Anger out my car window on the way home, disgusted at the thought I could make a better album than this.

Don't like the newer "back to their roots" stuff either. They're all over the place and not in a good way like the AJFA album that had structure even though songs are topping 8 minutes. I used to frequent their message board in 2000 or so and there would be pages upon pages of fans going to war with eachother. You had the sycophants that thought everything was genius even though they sounded like two different bands. There were a lot of delusional posters there.

Back