The most visually stunning films

Coco - Very good animation film
Thor: Ragnarok - fun film; I really liked how it looked
Valerian: City of a Thousand Planets - a movie that is all over the place, but looks really great in parts
A Cure for Wellness - liked it in the first watch, second time thought it was so boring. Looks great though.
A Ghost Story - interesting story, really touching too and has excellent long shots
Moana - very good film

This video is a great explanation of why the cinematography in Children of Men is so beautiful. Almost every scene tells a story of the world with panning shots and leaves haunting images for effect on close ups.

The Fountain, Enter the Void, and The Neon Demon fit the criteria.

Blade Runner
Ran
Stalker
In The Mood For Love
The Duelists
The Shinning
Akira
Under The Skin
The Mirror
Fellowship of The Ring
The Third Man
Suspiria
Once Upon A Time In America
The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover
Fantasia
Birth
Mauvais Sang
Raging Bull
Fury Road
Ida
Alien
Badlands
Blue is the Warmest Colour
Dolls
The Master
Citizen Kane
The Double Life of Veronique
Persona
The Neon Demon
Millenium Actress
A Clockwork Orange
Boy Meets Girl

Last edited:
Barry Lyndon
Citizen Kane
Blade Runner
Alien
Terminator 2
Aliens
The Abyss
Star Wars
Godfather 1
Godfather 2
Carrie

Kurosawas films are beautiful
the bad sleep well. sticks out to me the film is good.. but man is it shot beautifully especially for being black and white

How could I leave these off my list??

Adding Raiders, dramatically shot film

The cinematographer also directed the movie Windows from around 1979 or 1980, which also looks fantastic, but is a terrible movie.

He directed Windows as well as being the DOP?

Yeah, but his attention and expertise were both in the cinematography department. Don't think he really knew all that much about directing actors or quality of a script. He never directed anything again.

Yeah, but his attention and expertise were both in the cinematography department. Don't think he really knew all that much about directing actors or quality of a script. He never directed anything again.
My understanding is that either job can be a stress factory, but doing both is all your free time I would imagine

I just realized maybe I wasn't clear in my original post. He was the DOP on The Godfather 1 and 2 (and 3).
Ah, gotcha. Of all the powerful scenes, the one that affected me the most was a simple two-shot. Car stops, some men get out and approach Kay, she gets into the car with them as they slowly pull away.
If it had been lensed in almost any other way it would have detracted from the emotional impact.

Ah, gotcha. Of all the powerful scenes, the one that affected me the most was a simple two-shot. Car stops, some men get out and approach Kay, she gets into the car with them as they slowly pull away.
If it had been lensed in almost any other way it would have detracted from the emotional impact.

You can randomly select any frame from the first two Godfathers and there's about a 50% chance it would look good framed and on your wall.

Back