The most visually stunning films

Perhaps the best scene in cinema history. At the very least the best battle scene.
Wouldn't go that far but it does portray the invasion starkly and conveys the absolute terror those guys faced. If anything from the history I've read it goes a touch light on the slog.

Agreed. Jaws, Indiana Jones 3x, Schindler's List, Jurassic Park, ET, etc. Dude is a legit genius.
I could've liked ET but even as a kid I hated the creature design.
To me it was a stupid result of the attempt (which is very difficult in film) to make something clearly alien but also relatable.
Big eyes for sympathy, shortness of stature to express vulnerability, the journey home story.

America but not West?

What sort of eldritch evil is this!?:D

I think its a bit more consistent personally, West has some amazing looking scenes like the opening and the final confrontation but America has something interesting visually going on almost every scene. A lot of varteity on display as well with each of the different eras having very individuals visuals styles to them.

I will go with ones that perhaps haven't been mentioned so far, or are less often suggested.

Seven Samurai, which I don't believe was mentioned with other Kurosawa films earlier. Also Throne Of Blood, particularly the end sequence with the hails of arrows.

I am a big fan of a scene in My Darling Clementine, where they have Wyatt Earp talking to two men under a canopy/awning. No incidental music or anything, steady shot, with the pouring rain playing under it the whole time. The rest of the film is pretty beautiful too, from what I remember.

Spielberg has been mentioned a bunch, I nominate Duel, considering how little budget and experience he had at the time.

Alien comes to mind as well, gorgeous and still scary film to this day, especially if you watch it in the dark (although the strobe lighting towards the end doesn't half hurt your eyes!)

Then you have big musicals like Singin' In The Rain, American In Paris and, one of my favourites, Footlight Parade. All the old school Busby Berkeley choreography.

I would also put forward some of Jackie Chan's works, the choreography and stunt work is phenomenal, plus all the slapstick influence from Chaplin, Keaton and the like.

An aside as well, I recommend looking up Breadsword on YouTube, was reminded after someone mentioned Dr Strangelove earlier, he does a very good video essay on that film, as well as one on The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou, which is another damn fine looking film from Wes Anderson.

call me weird, but I always thought the cinematography in Shooter (Wahlberg/Fuqua movie, not the TV show) was like really really good for a random action movie

Particularly the snow scene

also, To Live and Die in LA has a very Noir type camera work, love that movie

I replace interstellar with inception. Interstellar is just Nolan trying to do inception special effects but with different story.
I thought Interstellar was vastly overrated
Team INTERSTELLAR checking in. It's less kinetic but so much more heart.
I really liked the look of Spring Breakers
Surprisingly good.
Perhaps the best scene in cinema history. At the very least the best battle scene.
The scale of Kurosawa's battle scenes is unbelievable.

It’s After the Sunset for me

Salma-Hayek-reveals-bra-and-panties.gif

c_limit%2Cfl_lossy%2Cq_80%2Cw_480%2Fhttp%3A%2F%2Fimages-origin.playboy.com%2Fogz4nxetbde6%2F2dukpkOb6EIeueWY8AMYYM%2Fc2a6874a5dea5bf97da70e8fa3e50950%2F16-salma-hayek-gifs.gif

Selma plus Bahamian paradise. What more can you ask?
Shit Alex..

You can find that and better on the internet..

You have a fetuse of a brain when thinking of this concept..

Fuck off, but carry on..

I allowed it.

The new Star Wars movies

Shitty movies but they by default get the most talented vfx artists and you have to admit the cinematography is very good

Even just with Terry Gilliam and Tim Burton movies my list will be long af lol

Shit Alex..

You can find that and better on the internet..

You have a fetuse of a brain when thinking of this concept..

Fuck off, but carry on..

I allowed it.

<LatsRickStory>

Hey the man asked for a stunning visual.......visually a 2004 Selma coupled with enjoying fresh tropical air on a private island is much more stunning than some sound of music mountains shit

That’s just me though

Emmanuelle in Space with Krista Allen is visually stunning especially Krista Allen. In fact, most appearances of Krista Allen are stunning very much so.

P&M has entirely devolved into ogling gifs of hot actress ass, complete with rankings and head to head records and seeded brackets. I don't even want to tell you what kind of other things you can find online with a few simple keystrokes!

Alien
Kingdom of Heaven Directors Cut
Barry Lyndon
RAN
Red Cliff
Apocalypto
Ex Machina
Brooklyn
The Way Back
Darjeeling Limited
Road to Perdition
Skyfall (movies trash, but fuck it looks great)
Incendies
Dunkirk
BR:2049
Lost in Translation

My personal favorite though: Midnight in Paris

big fan of movies that are able to make me romanticize the setting/city, thats a sign that the director has captured its settings perfectly to illustrate its story

Not gonna scroll through the whole thread, here's a few that come to mind...

On the Silver Globe
1477664662715516.png

The Colour of Pomegranates
Zbw2wpAR7iggOVesNfDf_12.15.15_Screenings.TheColorofPomegranates.I_am_Armenian._01.jpg

Valerie and Her Week of Wonders
968full-valerie-and-her-week-of-wonders-screenshot.jpg

Days of Heaven
260567.jpg

Well, Tarkovsky goes without saying:
tarkovsky_cosa.jpg

andrei-rublev-2.png

Mirror-Tarkovsky-1.jpg

Last edited:
Back