The movie "alive" about the soccer team that had to turn cannibal. What would you do?

I’d eat their dicks and buttholes first.....wait....what???? I wouldn’t do that.

It's been forever since I've seen the movie, and never read the book. That being said, was there a legitimate reason they waited so long to try and hike out? Seems to me that would have been the first option, and really strange that they waited until they were nearly starved to death, and ate thier fellow passengers before even trying to hike out.

The Donner Party for example had to wait for the winter storms to pass before they could make a pass thru the mountains, they had no choice but to survive by cannibalism. But if this soccer team never even tried to hike to safety before they resorted to cannibalism is very curious.

As I said I don't know much of the facts about the situation, so my questions are out of legitimate ignorance. I'm glad thread popped up, at least now I can learn something about this situatuon.

They weren't packed and well equipped for a hike like the Donner party. They rigged a radio and could listen to the news about search teams looking for them so it made sense waiting. And when they did move out, they didn't have proper clothing and shoes.
http://www.jeffreygibbs.org/inspirations/2017/1/24/hero-story-4-nando-parrado-and-roberto-canessa

Story: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uruguayan_Air_Force_Flight_571#Search_and_rescue

"Survivors made several brief expeditions in the immediate vicinity of the aircraft in the first few weeks after the crash, but they found that altitude sickness, dehydration, snow blindness, malnourishment, and the extreme cold during the nights made traveling any significant distance an impossible task."

Why don't you folks read about the actual history of the accident before making incorrect statements and poor judgement. There were 4 women on the flight. All involved were devout Catholics. They were waiting to be rescued. They knew a rescue was under way, they monitor it by radio. The cannibalism was necessary to survive. It was not an easy decision to be made as a Catholic. Had I been in their place I would have done the same. Had I been dead, I would want my flesh to be used as a food source for the survivors. None of the dead women were touched. The hike out for help had very little chance of success. They were not equipped for the conditions they were in. Passengers: 40, Crew: 5, Fatalities: 29, Survivors: 16.

tbh you'd probably just reach a level of hunger where your survival instincts kick in and you eat whatever's available. When I went starving for like 14 hours once I ended up buying like 6 truck stop hotdogs

Dem instincts.

i forget the comedian but there was a funny bit about how rescuer searchers would have found them alongside a pile of dicks. Ate everything but the dick. No man gets that hungry

I would have hiked out like they did, but before waiting so long I was starving and had to eat my friends. They waited 70 fucking days to hike out and when they did, it took less than a week to reach civilization. The cannibalism was entirely unnecessary.

When you're lost in the wilderness, the very last thing you're supposed to do is leave the site of the accident. The leading cause of death in these situations is exposure doing exactly that.

Would've eaten the little guy before the plane crashed...

People should carry cannibalism cards like organ doner cards, maybe some advice about which cuts would be best, if you've done a million squats you don't want that arse to go to waste.

Story: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uruguayan_Air_Force_Flight_571#Search_and_rescue

"Survivors made several brief expeditions in the immediate vicinity of the aircraft in the first few weeks after the crash, but they found that altitude sickness, dehydration, snow blindness, malnourishment, and the extreme cold during the nights made traveling any significant distance an impossible task."

Why don't you folks read about the actual history of the accident before making incorrect statements and poor judgement. There were 4 women on the flight. All involved were devout Catholics. They were waiting to be rescued. They knew a rescue was under way, they monitor it by radio. The cannibalism was necessary to survive. It was not an easy decision to be made as a Catholic. Had I been in their place I would have done the same. Had I been dead, I would want my flesh to be used as a food source for the survivors. None of the dead women were touched. The hike out for help had very little chance of success. They were not equipped for the conditions they were in. Passengers: 40, Crew: 5, Fatalities: 29, Survivors: 16.
Thanks for the background. I’d forgotten the details of the story. Hell yeah i’d eat a human if it gave me a chance to survive.

I do have to question the relevance of them being Catholic. No one was killed for the nourishment of others. If anything, the Catholic Church would want as many survivors as possible in order to meet/exceed their tithing quota and to continue the bloodline with more catholic babies.

It's funny when people say shit like this, the hike out was successful and sheltering in place is what got so many killed. In almost all survival stories the people who survive are the ones who take an active role in survival.

Standard advice is to stay with the wreckage because it's easier to see from the air, that you're more likely to get rescued that way. That may have factored in.
Standard advice by rescuers who only look at the situation from their own perspective and not from what gives the best statistical advantage.

Guys, guys, focus.

Now, would you eat a person?
Yes.

Accordingly to the book, a priest heard the confessions of the survivors and absolved them of the sins. Therefore I would do it ( if I absolutely had no other choice).

Back