The myth of Americans being bad at maths

2arctanx

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If a society has weak maths it also has weak science. The advances the US has made in technology should be proof enough that this is not the case.

Just by judging the Math Olympiads, an international pre-college math contest you can clearly see USA is top ranked in maths.

38942138bbe4575169f875c23293f9d0b9ce07ca4d0039cbc1237c89f70c72505b11b4dc.jpg

A lot of the "American sucks at _____" stuff is exaggerated.

A lot of the "American sucks at _____" stuff is exaggerated.

Very true, most of it is bred from jealousy and insecurity. Anybody saying they aren’t jealous of the USA is a flat out liar...

Last edited:
You do know the top end being the best and the average being totally shit aren't mutually exclusive right?

It's like pointing to the NBA and saying "Average Americans aren't bad at basketball, see?" Well I see those guys, but the average American probably gets winded dribbling so...

Who says Americans are bad at math? I don't think I've ever heard that stereotype. Best Math departments in the world are in US universities.

#16 Canada. .... I guess China and India are sending us their losers who suck at mathS.

Brits call it 'maths', which does actually make more sense as 'math' is a shortened form of 'mathematics'

Not sure I follow, as math is plural without an S, like of like well ... a lot of words, no? For example "what is your favourtie science?" as opposed to "what is your favourite sciences?".

Brits call it 'maths', which does actually make more sense as 'math' is a shortened form of 'mathematics'

*maffs

And they should be performed very quick, preferably three times.

We do it right . Spell it correctly

Colour is proper . Color

Not sure I follow, as math is plural without an S, like of like well ... a lot of words, no? For example "what is your favourtie science?" as opposed to "what is your favourite sciences?".

Both are grammatically correct, I'm pretty surprised native English speakers would never have heard a Brit or an Aussie say 'Maths' before though, I'm American, I've heard that lots of times. Get out more.

You do know the top end being the best and the average being totally shit aren't mutually exclusive right?

It's like pointing to the NBA and saying "Average Americans aren't bad at basketball, see?" Well I see those guys, but the average American probably gets winded dribbling so...
this works both ways? including for other countries lol. the fact that the USA leads China with about 1 billion less people speaks volumes.

Last edited:
Both are grammatically correct, I'm pretty surprised native English speakers would never have heard a Brit or an Aussie say 'Maths' before though, I'm American, I've heard that lots of times. Get out more.
but say it . Colour. Color. Which sounds right.
Americans have it backwards

I pretty much ignore every Brit and Aussie I come across.

Back