The myth of Americans being bad at maths

When did math become plural?
1wg0hg.jpg

Generally speaking TS, generally speaking.

Maths doesn't equal entrepreneurship, ingenuity, inventiveness. Maths simply follows rulse, no outside the box thinking required. Asian countries haven't come up with much considering their higher average IQ. Everything that works about their culture, democracy(ish), capitalism, much of the everything they use on a daily basis - taken from the west.

Maths doesn't equal entrepreneurship, ingenuity, inventiveness. Maths simply follows rulse, no outside the box thinking required. Asian countries haven't come up with much considering their higher average IQ. Everything that works about their culture, democracy(ish), capitalism, much of the everything they use on a daily basis - taken from the west.

no outside the box thinking in maths is plain wrong. you clearly have a weak understanding of what maths is.

ITT dumb Americans use numbers to show they aren’t stupid.

See look there I ain’t as stupid as you say I am cause Murcia did good in Math stuffs.

I’m a damn good negotiator cause we got Donald Trump.

Maths simply follows rulse, no outside the box thinking required.

Knowing tricks and whatnot is important for competition math (IMO), but research math definitely requires a great deal of creativity and outside of the box thinking.

If a society has weak maths it also has weak science. The advances the US has made in technology should be proof enough that this is not the case.

Just by judging the Math Olympiads, an international pre-college math contest you can clearly see USA is top ranked in maths.

38942138bbe4575169f875c23293f9d0b9ce07ca4d0039cbc1237c89f70c72505b11b4dc.jpg
Unfortunately, although America has some excellent math students, the average student is pretty mediocre. There are really several tiers. I participated in ARML/AIME in HS. My ex is a grad student from a foreign country who was shocked at how incompetent many of her american undergrad students were when it came to math. I had to explain this multi-tier issue to her.

Maths doesn't equal entrepreneurship, ingenuity, inventiveness. Maths simply follows rulse, no outside the box thinking required.

This is something believed by people with no talent for math.

Knowing tricks and whatnot is important for competition math (IMO), but research math definitely requires a great deal of creativity and outside of the box thinking.
I don't have any familiarity with research math, but creativity and out-of-box thinking had their uses in competition, too. Tricks were a fair part of it, too, of course, but putting them together the right way definitely required some elegance.

That's some anti-German propaganda right there.
They had to split Germany into two because the Fatherland would have crushed everyone in overall medals.
Are the times that bad in the US that you have to go into bed again with communist BFFs to undermine Germany once again.

East Germany? Its not 1982 anymore.
SAD

If a society has weak maths it also has weak science. The advances the US has made in technology should be proof enough that this is not the case.

Just by judging the Math Olympiads, an international pre-college math contest you can clearly see USA is top ranked in maths.

38942138bbe4575169f875c23293f9d0b9ce07ca4d0039cbc1237c89f70c72505b11b4dc.jpg

Assuming the TS is a US American, this post is a clear example as to why the average American is bad at math (along with a lack of logic and problem understanding/solving) comparatively to other countries...

I'd bet money on an randomly selected student from China, South Korea, Vietnam, Germany, UK, Japan, Taiwan, Ukraine, France to beat a randomly selected student from the US in a math competition on any given day.

I’m surprised South Korea is # 7.

Surprised it's too low?

Last edited:
Assuming the TS is a US American, this post is a clear example as to why the average American is bad at math (along with a lack of logic and problem understanding/solving) comparatively to other countries...

I'd bet money on an randomly selected student from China, South Korea, Vietnam, Germany, UK, Japan, Taiwan, Ukraine, France to beat a randomly selected student from the US on any given day.

Surprised it's too low?

Yeah I was there one summer and it seemed like all the kids were attending summer math camp.

Yeah I was there one summer and it seemed like all the kids were attending summer math camp.

agreed.

then again that ranking is only for the top elite competition and doesn't reflect how well an average student from that countries performs in math.

I've mentioned this before in these forums but a buddy of Korean buddy told me he was the worst student in his class when he was a kid in Korea. Used to get beat cause he answered math problems too slowly. Came to American and had top grades in public school.

so yeah.. the average American does suck at math IMO.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the US representatives we send in the Math Olympiad were mostly immigrants or born in the US citizens with immigrant parents.. or mostly Asians...

you know what lemme check on google:

2017 (4th)
Ankan Bhattacharya, Zachary Chroman, Andrew Gu, Vincent Huang, James Lin, and Junyao Peng. coach Po-Shen Loh,

2016 (4th place)
U.S. International Mathematical Olympiad team members Ankan Bhattacharya, Allen Liu, Ashwin Sah, Michael Kural, Yuan Yao, Junyao Peng, and coach Po-Shen Loh.Credit

2015 (1st place) - Michael Kural, Yang Liu, Ryan Alweiss, Shyam Narayanan, Allen Liu, David Stoner

Looks like mostly Asians.. lol

Maths simply follows rulse, no outside the box thinking required.
That's really only true for the majority, just like most everyone's nine-to-five job. The best mathematicians have to be clever and exhibit ingenuity to develop something new, just like engineers and scientists.

That's some anti-German propaganda right there.
They had to split Germany into two because the Fatherland would have crushed everyone in overall medals.
Are the times that bad in the US that you have to go into bed again with communist BFFs to undermine Germany once again.

East Germany? Its not 1982 anymore.
SAD

Hey, they already had to split the Motherland into 15 countries to make this shit fair.

Back