The myth that Colby looked bad against Maia...

I see a lot of people saying that Colby was getting pieced up by K1 Maia in the first round but Maia gassed and that is why he lost.

The first round was close and although Colby got bloodied up he outlanded Maia in each round.

Round 1 - 37 vs 29
Round 2 - 22 vs 11
Round 3 - 29 vs 13

Maia landed at a higher percentage to be fair but Colby landed 88 strikes and defended 13 takedowns.

88 strikes is the most landed by an opponent against Maia, to be fair Nate KOed him with one punch but it is still impressive. If you look at Maia's previous 6 opponents before Colby, so Woodley, Masvidal, Condit, Brown, Nelson and Magny, their combined strike output against Maia was 109 strikes.

Round 2 and Round 3 were total domination by Colby, so much so that by the end of the 3rd round, the fight was on the verge of being stopped, look at Maia's bloodied face and the position he was in.

Maia is 40 but that didn't stop him from destroying fighters like Condit, Nelson, Brown, Mangy etc in just a few rounds.

Colby does deserve some hate for some of the things he has done, but his performance against Maia was the best against him since Nate Marquardt. Woodley is a tough fight for him but he definitely can win it.

War Chaos!

Colby-Covington-696x392.jpg

Boomerang.

I see a lot of people saying that Colby was getting pieced up by K1 Maia in the first round but Maia gassed and that is why he lost.

The first round was close and although Colby got bloodied up he outlanded Maia in each round.

Round 1 - 37 vs 29
Round 2 - 22 vs 11
Round 3 - 29 vs 13

Maia landed at a higher percentage to be fair but Colby landed 88 strikes and defended 13 takedowns.

88 strikes is the most landed by an opponent against Maia, to be fair Nate KOed him with one punch but it is still impressive. If you look at Maia's previous 6 opponents before Colby, so Woodley, Masvidal, Condit, Brown, Nelson and Magny, their combined strike output against Maia was 109 strikes.

Round 2 and Round 3 were total domination by Colby, so much so that by the end of the 3rd round, the fight was on the verge of being stopped, look at Maia's bloodied face and the position he was in.

Maia is 40 but that didn't stop him from destroying fighters like Condit, Nelson, Brown, Mangy etc in just a few rounds.

Colby does deserve some hate for some of the things he has done, but his performance against Maia was the best against him since Nate Marquardt. Woodley is a tough fight for him but he definitely can win it.

War Chaos!

Colby-Covington-696x392.jpg
I don't like Colby and initially thought he did get "pieced up," but the numbers don't lie. He borderline dominated the striking. All I would say is he should NOT have been hit as many times as he was. His defense was suspect and had it been someone with power and better technique, different story.

No credit to Maia and his countless years practicing striking either. Maia worked on striking a LOT, Colby went out there on fire to put Demian away in the first couple min. A lot of guys avoid taking the fight to Maia the way he did. Yea he got caught a bunch in the pocket but he prob thought Maia would insta-shoot and not stand and bang it out.

He was gassed and going life and death in the striking with Maia. That's like holding your own in a grappling match with Conor.

He did look bad, even if Maia looked his age and past it. He also looked that way vs Masvidal.

Woodley was foolish for not accepting a fight against Covington. That was easy money for him.

so Covington's plan was to get pieced up by Maia so that Maia would gas out? Is that what you're telling me?

Colby gonna get worked by RDA he lucky it’s not Woodley

The myth that Colby looked bad against Maia is basically True...

How much is Colby paying shills these days? Can't be that much.

Back