The negative stigma of blue collar work/working with your hands

I just started watching Kobra Kai on Youtube and they got this guy who seems to be a handyman of some sort and can't help but think of the negative stigma of blue collar work that our society seems to have. Hollywood paints this picture of people who work with their hands being low class and living miserable lives.

I'm in the trades and people who do this kind of stuff make decent money. The numbers don't show much, but these guys pocket a lot of cash from side jobs.

The most well off people I know are tradesmen. Not only that, there's a severe shortage of them.
I work with students and more and more of them are considering trade schools as college becomes more expensive and jobs are not guaranteed. Trades are an increasingly attractive option.

Last edited:
I used to do a blue collar job but moved to a white one. There's nothing that fucks me off more than white collar colleagues who think they're better than the blue collar workers in the building, and think their higher salary somehow gives them the right to be rude to them.

You sound poor.

Alot of white collars and blue collars here. I don't even wear a collar

"Negative stigma" is redundant.

This is why you ditch diggers disgust me.

JK I got tons of respect for manual workers.

Y'all better unionize though

Jobs that will never *not* be needed.
AC repair, plumbers, auto repair.

It can't be shipped overseas.
It's a necessity
A computer can't do it

Are you going to own two houses, probably not.
Job security has it's benefits though.

Last edited:
Blue collar turned white checking in. My biggest gripe with blue collar is that they think for some reason just because they work a shitty job, that it makes them tough guys.

That's a phenomenon I'll never understand, used to work with guys like that too. I'm not bashing high end trades work, more low level grunt blue collar work. I think it's an insecurity intellectually so they step up the bravado as a way to compensate.

Everyone is wired differently. If you gravitate towards that stuff, who cares what other people think? That is the bigger issue. The majority people are fucktards regardless of their education or lack there of.

Blue collar turned white checking in. My biggest gripe with blue collar is that they think for some reason just because they work a shitty job, that it makes them tough guys.

It's not always true, but some of those jobs involve serious manual labor and lifting, long hours in shitty environment, and serious mental toughness.

Couple that with the old man strength of a guy who's been doing the job 20-30 years and that's nothing to scoff at.

It's because they get all dirty and icky and never went through the 'rigorous' schooling that many white collar folks went through. I honestly never thought there was a stigma. My dad is carpenter by trade and a bad ass one at that. He is a general contractor and banks more then most white collar jobs. My brother is an eletrical engineer. Top of his class in undergrad and grad school. First job working for NASA. He was so damn bored being behind a computer all day that he got burnt out. He just moved states with his wife and decided to get a job as a electrician and wants to get into being an elevator techinician. He could be making double the money as an eletrical engineer, but doesn't even care. He also worked for my dad for a year doing construction. He loves working with his hands and he's one of the most handy person I know. He can almost do anything at top notch quality and fast.

Back