THE Official 2017 S&C Deadlift Competition Thread

MatterOverMind

Pulling for you
@Black
Reaction score
Welcome to the 2017 S&C deadlift competition.

I'm going to get right down to business. The competition will officially start on JUNE 5TH and will continue through December 31st. This will be a team-based competition. The winning team will be the the one who can AVERAGE the most improvement in these coming months. Each participant must submit a video or official meet results to establish a starting 1 rep max BEFORE JUNE 5TH. Once all submissions have been entered, teams will be chosen at random. The number of teams is yet to be determined and will be established based on the final number of participants. Uneven teams will be compensated for by dividing the total lbs of improvement by the number of participants on the team.

Your deadlift video should be a true ONE REP MAX. The video angle MUST be from a good angle to see all intricacies of the lift, otherwise it will not count. The lift must be performed with a barbell (not a hex/trap bar). No straps, no hitching, no ramping, no dropping the bar. Basically, it must follow IPF RULES, other than the ones about obeying the referee's signal. See page 18 for details. Knowing and understanding the rules is important.
If you have any questions about the rules, PLEASE ASK!

If you use any special equipment, such as a deadlift suit or a deadlift bar (which is not the same thing as a hex/trap bar), the same equipment MUST be used for your final 1rm.

Dropping out of the competition can be done penalty-free until August 1st.
If anyone is available to take your place, then a replacement can made.
Starting on August 1st, withdrawal from the competition will not remove you from your team's average.
Whatever improvement you've made up to that point, with video proof, is what will be figured into your team's score.

I trust that our participants would never do such things, but ANY FLAMING OR DERAILING OF THIS THREAD WILL RESULT IN A BAN FROM THE COMPETITION.

Not all of these rules are set in stone, so feel free to voice your opinion on anything you don't agree with fuck off.

Here is the current list of participants (click HERE to go to the log):

@NurseKnuckles - 495 lbs (Final 1rm goal: 565)
@The_observer86 - 455 lbs
@JimRussel - 675 lbs (Final 1rm goal: 700, "but hopefully a lot more")
@MatterOverMind - 445 lbs (Final 1rm goal: 600)
@Cmart - 445 lbs (Final 1rm goal: 500)
@Japmanx - 535 lbs (Final 1rm goal: 585)
@MilkManUK - 419 lbs
@xPINKx - 396 lbs
@ASUThermo - 601 lbs
@fbmmofo - 562 lbs (Final 1rm goal: 600)
@spdrew2143 - 680 lbs
@SexyMahnaz - 440 lbs
@rocketskates - 622 lbs
@Cool Hand Luke - 385 lbs
@btwrestler119 - 505 lbs
@Obscure Terror - 440 lbs
@Oblivian - 510 lbs
@Parrulo - 330 lbs (Final 1rm goal: 396 lbs)
@KotovSyndrome - 507 lbs (Final 1rm goal: 551)
@Bloodhy - 420 lbs (Final 1rm goal: 465)
@frystyle - 333 lbs
@cincymma79 - 615 lbs
@toonie - 495 lbs
@eastNYgoon138 - 385 lbs (Final 1rm goal: 455)
@ThePitBull32 - 405 lbs (Final 1rm goal: 525)

I will be updating this post with starting 1 rep maxes as they are submitted.

BEFORE SUBMITTING A VIDEO, READ THIS...

Some guys in this thread submitted videos where they obviously had a lot left in the tank to the point where they could have done multiple reps.

It's not that people would be intentionally dishonest, some people just aren't well versed in pulling deadlift 1RMs and don't realize how much they have left in them.

AND ASK YOURSELF IF THAT APPLIES TO YOU.

IF SO, PLEASE DO YOUR BEST TO REMEDY THE SITUATION.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have on the subject. We're all here to help/support each other.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Nice to see a comp in here again. With MOM leading it up no less. Kudos gents.

I will use my all time-PR of 180kg/400lb. I have that on video since it was done in another comp on here, does that video count? I'm not sure if I'll be able to pull 180 again in just a few weeks, but starting with a lower max is pretty pointless.

Current 1rm- 425
Cool. I'll update when you post your video.
I will use my all time-PR of 180kg/400lb. I have that on video since it was done in another comp on here, does that video count? I'm not sure if I'll be able to pull 180 again in just a few weeks, but starting with a lower max is pretty pointless.
I'm good with that.

I'm out with the no straps rule. My bar is practically smooth, haven't gone strapless in months.

I'm out with the no straps rule. My bar is practically smooth, haven't gone strapless in months.

@MatterOverMind , if you're allowing a Deadlift Suit, why not straps as well? I don't intend to use either, but as long as the competitor starts and finishes with the the same equipment, I don't have a problem with others using them.

I don't view those as being comparable.

Personally, I don't think straps should be allowed, but it can be open for discussion.

I've never used a DL suit, but I suspect it would have far more effect on what one can lift than straps. It's a bit like saying, you can use a Slingshot in a Bench competition, but no wrist wraps.

Like I said, I won't be using either. Only thing I'll be wearing is a Belt, so I have no dog in this fight. I just think it's a shame to lose a competitor because he can't use straps when someone else can compete in gear.

It's not a deal breaker for me. Just my 2 cents worth.:)

No straps. I thought we were going by IPF type rules. Let's not make this into a joke. Next hitching and ramping will be requested.

I've never used a DL suit, but I suspect it would have far more effect on what one can lift than straps. It's a bit like saying, you can use a Slingshot in a Bench competition, but no wrist wraps.

Like I said, I won't be using either. Only thing I'll be wearing is a Belt, so I have no dog in this fight. I just think it's a shame to lose a competitor because he can't use straps when someone else can compete in gear.

It's not a deal breaker for me. Just my 2 cents worth.:)

Straps help you keep the bar in your hands when you might have otherwise dropped it and failed the lift. A deadlift suit doesn't.

Your bench comparison doesn't make sense at all.

I know it's 2017 and everyone wants to be included, but hell no to straps.

I would say its more like allowing wrist wraps and not a slingshot, and that makes sense.

I would say its more like allowing wrist wraps and not a slingshot, and that makes sense.

It's obviously not that important, but I just don't see it as a valid comparison.

Also, wrist wraps are allowed in just about all powerlifting meets, straps aren't allowed in any (SPF doesn't count).

Consider the no straps rule set in stone.

Deadshot has been removed from the list.

My current 1RM is 151 kg / 332 lbs. Video can be found in my log, I would love to get a formcheck!

Back