The Official Dragon Ball (Z, GT, S, etc.) Franchise Discussion Thread v5

Status
Not open for further replies.
So much head scratching moments during this tournament. They could have made this soooooooooo much better.
It sucks that things can't be more fleshed out given the time constraints. I just hope there is a new series after the movie.

So much head scratching moments during this tournament. They could have made this soooooooooo much better.

The manga is much better in how it weaves the story, such as reasons for the power scaling for techniques is fleshed out more for the audience to put things in order. Also the characters have slightly better character development. I think Toyo will use the anime to flesh out the kinks of what could have been better, what went wrong, and how to improve on the quality of the arc to better the franchise. He may be approaching this from a strategic point to make a better story and learn from his mistakes as a storyteller and artist.

I'm having a really hard time wrapping my head around how someone can like Dragonball Super. Maybe I never gave it enough of a chance, but as a big DBZ and even Dragonball fan, it just feels very hollow.

I'm having a really hard time wrapping my head around how someone can like Dragonball Super. Maybe I never gave it enough of a chance, but as a big DBZ and even Dragonball fan, it just feels very hollow.

I think they are winging it and using cookie cutter formula at it's most basic for a typical anime, the staff is not as experienced at putting it all together as others. Most of this has to do with time constraints in getting an episode up, meeting deadlines, and just not having enough money allocated to produce a single high quality episode. Perhaps certain anime production companies have been in an echochamber of how things are done and don't seek new ideas into how to make a proper story.

Most importantly the better designed, well done animes are the ones with very short episodes with years in between seasons to get it right. That way they can put more time and money into those few episodes to deliver to the fans.

Yeah well last bits have been rushed so they can start the new dbz movie for December.

I thought the episode was very good.. some people seem angry about 17 being so powerful.. but I disagree.. it's not like he has been destroying people with sheer power..

He is clearly below Goku.. Vegeta.. Jiren.. Toppo etc.. he has been getting by due to unlimited energy and nifty techniques rather then outright power. Not like he eliminated anyone major either.. the big robot was a joint effort by all 5 guys left from U7

So fucking glad that Jiren said Vegeta had no chance to beat him BECAUSE he was injured and completely drained.. it will make his elimination next week feel much better..

What pissed me of in the U6 arc was how Vegeta appeared fine.. but got totally destroyed by HIT.. then Goku steps up and can at least hang with hit (before kaoikan blue). In the manga Whis actually explained Vegeta was low on power/energy after beating frost.. magenta and cabba

Also Toryima is not the guy who writes the whole episode either.. he gives them the base.. but they have different writers almost every episode..

I think that's why you get odd stuff were Vegeta.. Goku etc go from out of power and down then recover next episode

Can Vegeta win mvp and get a wish even if he gets koed? He is either 1st or 2nd on eliminations and knocked out the toughest guy so far (Toppo)..

Maybe Freeza/Jiren and Goku all stay in.. so Vegeta still wins LVL and keeps his promise to Cabba

Last edited:
Then lets be grateful for Toriyama’s spontaneous random writing. Because let’s be honest, that would of sucked.
You can't give Toriyama too much credit there his Editor Kazuhiko Torishima always kept Toriyama on his toes.

He said something to the effect about 19 and 20 " These are the villains ? , some Geezer and Some fat Guy ? " .

When Toriyama introduced 17 and 18 , Torishima complained about them being Bratty Children and after that we eventually got Perfect Cell ( Torishima Gave Toriyama Grief about Cells 1st 2 forms)

Crazy theory: Belmond was the person who killed Jiren's parents. Knowing that he would retire soon, Belmond needed to have someone surpass him in order to be the next God of Destruction.

If you have been in the 5 threads that we have had, you would noticed that even regulars in the discussions dislikes some part of Super. We are not fanboys than cream over every single thing they threw at us. We complained alot tbh.

If anyone here has ever watched Yu Yu Hakusho, Jirens background is very similar to Batman. But after that, everything about this character is basically a copy of Younger Toguro.

Seems like Jiren and Goku have a lot in common

Seems like Jiren and Goku have a lot in common
I'd say Jiren is more like Vegeta, at least before Bulma softened him up. Vegeta was focused on strength and getting stronger and stronger.

Not to mention Vegeta's father was killed by an evil-doer as well.

17 was Modified to Kill Goku, Dies saving Him.

Neat way to look at it.

Crazy theory: Belmond was the person who killed Jiren's parents. Knowing that he would retire soon, Belmond needed to have someone surpass him in order to be the next God of Destruction.

I would be down for this if Super Ended on this Cliff Hanger Focused on having a Great Movie in December and a new Dragon Ball Series released next year with a "God and Angels Arc".

Couple thoughts from this episode:

Jiren has repeatedly given Vegeta credit for things...has he ever said a kind word about Goku? Goku showed him some crazy stuff with UI but Vegeta is the one he seems to identify with and respect the most. I really can't remember.

LOL at the continued besmirchment of Frieza. Android 17 even left him to take the full brunt of the blast he protected Goku and Vegeta from.

I'm pretty sure they used the glowing eyes of the unknown evil as a placeholder for unknown evil....and not that they were implying the killer was Goku Black. They used the same artwork for Black before they revealed him to be Goku. I can't remember all the crazy time/universe shenanigans from that arc, but wouldn't that be some shit! I'm sure Jiren and the others would have had something to say about Goku being in the tourney if that had been the case though.

Fun episode though and looking forward to the finale. Looks like it's going to be a rehash of the Buu arc though, with Vegeta giving Goku time to heal and pulling out his trump card to win the whole thing

Something that pisses me off of the animation. When they are doing those fast combos, they slow it down, so you can see the horrible cycle animation. Seriously, it looks soooooooooo much better when you speed the animation up. Look how the animation looks with the video game Dragon Ball Fighterz when they replicate that kind of animation. We don’t really need to see every strike being thrown. Do we watch auto racing on slow motion??? Make it fast.

Anyone surprised at how moral Belmond came off? I always figured he was an amoral, trickster type god who only cared about his own goals.
It's the biggest shock to me tbh. I saw him as one of the truly evil GoDs when the previews came out and knew he'd probably be someone completely selfish with no mercy.

As it turns out, he's actually the most likable GoD imo. He seems to have the closest relationship with his fighters (Even moreso than Beerus), and shows a genuine care for their interests. While Beerus does care for Goku and Vegeta, he's mainly rooting for them for his own self interest. When Toppo taps into his GoD powers, Vermouth seems like the happiest guy in the arena. He's happy for the guy achieving GoD powers, even though that indicates he himself would probably get replaced. Very interesting imo.

Another GoD that surprised me, and seems to have a good relationship with their fighters is Universe 2's Heles. After reading her description about destroying everything ugly, I thought she'd be a stuck up bitch. But after seeing her in this tournament, she's more positive and caring than I thought. She's all about love and happiness, plus not every fighter on her squad is attractive. So maybe the description really entails that ugliness to her is more about bad people and shitty personality than aesthetics.

toei could've just left us with no background on jiren because that was the most generic shit ever. freeza getting stomped every 30 seconds is hilarious.

giphy.gif

toei could've just left us with no background on jiren because that was the most generic shit ever. freeza getting stomped every 30 seconds is hilarious.

giphy.gif

It cracks me up.

Feels like "But wait there's more !"

You can't give Toriyama too much credit there his Editor Kazuhiko Torishima always kept Toriyama on his toes.

He said something to the effect about 19 and 20 " These are the villains ? , some Geezer and Some fat Guy ? " .

When Toriyama introduced 17 and 18 , Torishima complained about them being Bratty Children and after that we eventually got Perfect Cell ( Torishima Gave Toriyama Grief about Cells 1st 2 forms)

I think that worked out for the best

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back