The Official LOW-CARB Recipe Thread:

It may not have HFCS but it probably has Hydrogenated oils. I would go with Natural Peanut butter if I were you.

Ok guys I was very skeptical of this one but it blew my mind away. Really thought I was eating fried rice.

CHINESE FRIED "RICE"
10 ounces fresh cauliflower, 1/2 medium head
Cooking oil
3 green onions, sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
Dash ginger, optional
3 tablespoons soy sauce
Few drops sesame oil, to taste
1-2 cups pork, chicken, beef, ham or shrimp, diced
3 eggs, beaten

Grate the cauliflower using either the largest holes on a hand grater or with the grating blade in food processor. The results should almost resemble the size of cooked white rice. Weigh out 10 ounces of the grated cauliflower (I had 4 good-size florets left for another use). Heat enough oil to cover the bottom of a wok or very large skillet on medium-high. Quickly stir-fry the white of the onions and the garlic. Watch closely so as not to burn. Add the cauliflower; fry about 4-5 minutes, stirring constantly until it begins to color a bit. Don't over cook or it might get mushy. Stir in the ginger, soy sauce, sesame oil and the meat. Stir-fry until somewhat browned. Push the "rice" to one side of the wok. Pour the eggs into the other side; scramble and cook until still moist. Mix the eggs into the "rice"; mix well and break up any large chunks of egg.

That was TERRIBLE! IT TASTED WORSE THAT JAIL FOOD!!!!!

Hey guys/gals? I have a question. I tried the flax bread with high hopes but found out I may not like the taste of flax. They turned out well, the texture was good but the taste was a little off IMO.

Could I do the same recipe but use almond flour and or coconut flour instead or is there something special about flax that works better?

It seems like I read using coconut flour was a good option for bread but I don't remember the reason why. Could all coconut flour be used for a bread recipe or is it better to mix with something else?

I am also going to try the cheese bread and Mr. Peanut Butter bread and see how they work.

This site has a lot of good looking low carb recipes also. Some of them have been posted earlier...
Low-Carb Recipes - Sugar-Free Low Carb Recipes for South Beach Atkins and Other Low-Carb Diets

Last edited:
MDA has some recipes using coconut flour for breads and pancakes...

Coconut Flour | Mark's Daily Apple

All the coconut flour I've ever bought has been really... coconutty. There's just no hiding that flavour. Even my cheese bread which had six kinds of totally minging, eye-watering cheeses in it ended up tasting and smelling of nothing but coconut.

Almond flour might be a blander choice better suited to breads, but I can't attest to that because that stuff is poison to my kind.

I made the Pork Rind pizza crust pizza today. I was out of egg's so I used liquid egg whites instead. It tasted awesome to me. I am going to the store when I wake up to buy some egg's and am going to make another one and try it with real egg's for comparison.

BTW: Thank you to everyone who has contributed a recipe. You are all helping me out big time.

After reading the other posts about the carb effects of white kidney beans and onions it made me wonder if anyone has a list of food items that have little or no carb effect like the white beans and onion? I have been avoiding onion all but small amounts once a day but if I could use onion more without worrying that would be great, in other words if there are other items that fall in the same category as the two above that would be awesome to learn about them. Or does it still have more to do with your bodies response to them?

it would be cool to get some more Info on this, I agree.

This isn't really a recipe but more of a series of hints:

You can find ice cream makers cheap.
Some of you are already experienced with Xylitol, Stevia, and Erythritol.
Ice cream + cinnamon = AWESOME.
Using real heavy cream means you'll taste more of that than sweetener and it'll be closer to what ice cream originally tasted like.

Needless to say I have ice cream now that has no sugar, negligible carb content, and is mostly fat almost every night of the week.

P.S. - You can also find low-sugar Skyr, which adds protein.

This isn't really a recipe but more of a series of hints:

You can find ice cream makers cheap.
Some of you are already experienced with Xylitol, Stevia, and Erythritol.
Ice cream + cinnamon = AWESOME.Using real heavy cream means you'll taste more of that than sweetener and it'll be closer to what ice cream originally tasted like.

Needless to say I have ice cream now that has no sugar, negligible carb content, and is mostly fat almost every night of the week.

P.S. - You can also find low-sugar Skyr, which adds protein.

I've always wondered about this. I know cinnamon cancles out glucose but to what degree? Will enough of it be able to take care of high sugar/carb items or atleast minmize insulin response, suppose I mix alot of it in batter for pancakes or cookies or something to that effect?

It'll blunt the response to some degree, but that can be individual, and come down to very small numbers that vary. Best thing to do is experiment with blending and the glucometer.

Breakfast: Pan Fry hamburger (drain fat), add eggs, add salsa, stir until eggs are fully cooked

Mushrooms: Mushrooms taste best when cooked as basically as possible. Eat them with a steak, reason is when you cook them in the same pan (wash and quarter them beforehand) it brings out the taste of the mushroom and gives it extra flavor from the steak.

Steak: Ideally a steak should be 1+ inch thick. Preheat oven with pan in it to 500 degrees. Leave steak out to get to room temperature and season. Pour olive oil into pan and heat until it's just starting to smoke. Sear steak on both sides for about two minutes each side (only for 1+ inch thickness). Put steak into oven on the pan and let heat on both sides for about 2 minutes each side. Let sit on cutting board under foil for 3 minuts and voila, you have a perfectly cooked rare steak, just red enough for full flavor and cooked enough for tenderness.

Breakfast: Pan Fry hamburger (drain fat), add eggs, add salsa, stir until eggs are fully cooked

Mushrooms: Mushrooms taste best when cooked as basically as possible. Eat them with a steak, reason is when you cook them in the same pan (wash and quarter them beforehand) it brings out the taste of the mushroom and gives it extra flavor from the steak.

Steak: Ideally a steak should be 1+ inch thick. Preheat oven with pan in it to 500 degrees. Leave steak out to get to room temperature and season. Pour olive oil into pan and heat until it's just starting to smoke. Sear steak on both sides for about two minutes each side (only for 1+ inch thickness). Put steak into oven on the pan and let heat on both sides for about 2 minutes each side. Let sit on cutting board under foil for 3 minuts and voila, you have a perfectly cooked rare steak, just red enough for full flavor and cooked enough for tenderness.

Two things.
1) Dont' drain the fat on the burger.
2) put a small amount of butter between the steak and the foil when it comes out of the oven. It's a restaurant trick, and anything to add more fat to a low carb diet. Comes out delicious.

Heres somethin' I whipped up the other day.

Meat Salad Special

1 full pack of pepperonies

1 container of bacon bits

1 pack of beef or turkey jerky

1/4 pound of deli meat (sliced roast beef, ham, ect your choices at your local deli)

1/4 stick of butter

1 Lg Onion

1 cup chopped romain.

1 Clove of Garlic

1 cup of shredded cheese

4 tablespoons olive oil

Some salt

---Run a frying on medium high heat. Throw on the 1/4 stick of butter and let it melt to a liquidy foam. While it's melting chop up and dice the onion, romain and garlic. When your done with chopping the butter should be melted and liquid by now. Put the chopped onion in. Put the garlic in. Put the romain in. Throw the entire pack of pepperonies in the pan. Throw the enite container of bacon bits in. Throw the deli meats in. Throw the whole pack of jerky in Dump the cheese in. Then pour the olive oil in. Let it all cook and melt untill the pepperonies, meats, jerky and bacon get crispy.

When done throw in a salad bowl and enjoy.

This sounds good, I'm going to have to try it, and when I saw your avatar I had to smile because I could totally see Ricky eating this.

Scottish Eggs (Hard Boiled Egg wrapped in Sausage)

Hard Boil your eggs, peel and place in the refrigerator to chill.

Flatten out 1/4 pound of sausage, and then encase the egg with it. Roll the sausage covered egg in an eggwash, and then roll in shredded coconut(original recipe calls for breadcrumbs, I've heard other people say they use crushed pork rinds). Then I place them in the freezer for about 30 minutes to solidify the sausage coating.

Deep fry in your oil of choice for 10 minutes. I don't have a deep fryer, so I pan fry the outside in bacon grease to get a crispy crust, and then bake in the oven at 350 for 30 minutes.

Great with some spicy mustard, can be eaten hot or cold.

There's a pub literally about 4 blocks from my place that has some bangin Scotch Eggs.

I am from the north of England. Scotch eggs are known to me.

I've never actually made my own because they're so ubiquitous in the shops here - statistically in Britain you're never more than 300 yards from somewhere that sells them. There are a few great variations, usually involving bacon, ham, mayonnaise, worcester sauce, black or white pudding, etc.

As long as it's sugar free pudding.

I don't think they put sugar in black pudding ('blood sausage' in colonial, white pudding I guess you might call 'oh jesus fuck what is that crap?!') but it wouldn't surprise me. Oats/rusk/chinese newpaper are the usual filling ingredients though so yes, avoid if you're being super-strict.

Chinese newspaper, JA!

Ive wanted to deep fry a few things lately. What are the best oils to deep fry with on no carb? I dont know if it matters much on no carb but I still want to be healthy ya know?

If you get a hankering for chips and you're doing low carb try this...

Get some pepperoni slices and lay them out on a baking sheet.
Put them in the oven and bake until the edges curl just a bit.
Remove from oven and place on a paper towel (to drain the grease/fat).
Put them in a ziplock bag after they're done draining and you've got chips for your low-carb dip or wheat wrap sandwich.

Back