The Official LOW-CARB Recipe Thread:

Hey bfett, any chance you could scale down photos before posting?

I've been making a bunch of LC stews in the slow cooker recently. With the right spices and fatty ass cuts of meat they don't seem to suffer much from leaving out the potatoes/carrots. Tonight's was moroccan lamb.

The best thing about slow cookers is you can get away with using cheap cuts since any meat is tender enough to fall off the bone after 8 hours of cooking.

There are some things you could put in there with negligible insulin response. Artichokes, you can add spinach leaves to the stew once it's ready and they'll soak pretty quick. You can also add white kidney beans, the extract of those even function as a carb-blocker. Most of the "Phase 2 Carb Cutter" products you see are white kidney bean extract. We made a chili using them in place of corn:

134050_498357378119_278093093119_6002400_1805457_o.jpg

Nice tip on the beans, thanks. :) I already go through about a pound of frozen spinach a day, can't get enough.

The xylitol I'm using really doesn't seem to want to dissolve. Even added into hot melted coconut oil it just sits there. I fixed it though by adding in a few tablespoons of warm water for it to dissolve into, and it worked a charm. So my personal variation:

1) Melt the coconut oil in a pan
2) Add 2-3 tbspns water
3) Add xylitol and mix thoroughly until dissolved
4) Add cocoa, mix again. Pour. Refrigerate.

I also added in a half pack of dessicated flaked coconut which changes the texture to a softer brownie type thing. Very, very good. I'm going to try orange, mint and raspberry variations at some point too provided the flavourings aren't too carby.

I think some of the 0-everything syrups you can buy might be good for this.

Not sure if Greek Yogurt is low enough but here's a dessert I use:

Dza's Sweet Tooth Tamer:
4 heaping tablespoons of full fat greek yogurt (I use ***e)
2-4 packets of splenda (depends how sweet you need it to be)
several shakes of cinnamon (to taste)
using a steak knife, shave some baker's chocolate (100% dark I think it comes out to) in for flavor

Stir vigorously.

Alternatively, I use raspberries instead of cinnamon and chocolate.

Making the chocolate again tonight.

This time I threw in some heavy whipping cream and almonds.

Me too. This time I replaced two of the Tbs of cocoa with chocolate whey and threw on some chopped macadamias... money.

I'm looking for a good (maybe decent?) pizza crust recipe. I tried the cauliflower crust and it was... ok. Then I tried a soy flour recipe I found on food network and it was... not really ok. I'm thinking about giving the pork rind recipe a go this weekend, since I was pleasantly surprised by the pork rind pancakes.

Sinister, care to share your chili recipe?

Just got a 5 lb tub of ON Whey double chocolate.

Wondering if anyone had any "goop" recipes. Maybe I could throw this in my chocolate mix...

Well I tried the low carb bread recipe and, aside from it being too oily (definitely reduce the oil from 1/3 cup down to 1 or 2 tablespoons) it's fecking great. Less of a bread than a dense spongecake without the sugar, it really hits those cravings you may occasionally get for something dry, light and voluminous. It's very easy to prepare too.

Sinister, care to share your chili recipe?

Fa sho:

2 (15oz) cans of White Kidney Beans (Cannellini) (drained and rinsed)
2 lbs ground beef
2 bell peppers (red, orange, yellow, or green)
1 1/2c chopped onion
4 cloves of garlic, finely minced
1-2 tbsp minced jalapeno peppers
2 (14.5oz) cans of diced tomatoes
1 (14.5oz) can of tomato sauce
3 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp black pepper

^ + 1/2 tsp cinnamon. Can't have chili without the cinnamon.

And a layer of whatever cheese you desire post-cooking.

Your wish is my command.

bfett81's notes: Do not use a pizza stone, and make sure you press the water from the dough, pat it dry thoroughly before baking, or it comes out soggy. You may want to flip the crust to get it evenly cooked.

This crust is not as stiff as the pork rind crust, which I will now post, and prefer.

bfett81's notes: Do not overcook this or it will be dry. I overcooked mine because I didn't want to it to come out too flimsy like the cauliflower was the first time (I didn't get the water out of it the first time I did it).

I'm making a pork rind crust again today.

These were both good fresh from the oven and even better the next day cold for breakfast, which surprised me a little.

Pictures:

6s9jqx.jpg

2dgngp1.jpg

Have not made a pork-rind hamburger bun. But I think that is my next task. Going to attempt those chocolates today. I have cream cheese, too.

How many ounces is 1 bag of pork rinds?

Anyone got a recipe for low carb chocolate mousse?

I think you can make it with cream, chocolate protein powder and egg whites, but I'm unsure about the quantities.

Might need a little Xantham gum in there as well, just a touch for consistency.

Anyone got a recipe for low carb chocolate mousse?

I think you can make it with cream, chocolate protein powder and egg whites, but I'm unsure about the quantities.

I make strawberry mousse just by blending a can of coconut milk and a spoon or two of strawberry whey. Haven't tried it with any other flavour yet though - don't know if chocolate would work with the coconut.

Back