The Old That is Strong does not Wither - Log of Disco

We are kindred spirits- I am also highly injury prone, and progress with my lifts pretty slowly. So I'll be following along.

Congrats on your new LOG title. Never give up on your dreams, and if you do, make sure you find a new dream ASAP.

Hey all thanks for the comments

Jaunty, no worries, and you can explain to me what a Jaunty point is?

daken & n00b - yes when I say I have "given up my dream" I don't mean it in a bad way. Things have just changed since I was 26, single, living in a town with a close knit boxing and mma club. Training all day and partying all weekend was my lifestyle, and I look back on my time with no regrets.

I am now 30, accumulated a few injuries, have a girlfriend which means I have less spare time, she is also not encouraging of me fighting (to put it mildly). I work longer hours and will soon be doing the marriage a baby thing (probably). I would have the skills for an amateur boxing match with a few months of training to get my cardio/conditioning up to standard, but I would need a lot more work to a thai or mma match.

So my life has changed quite a bit, and lifting 4 times weeks and competing in olly comps (probably one day powerlifting comps) suits me more.

I may get back into boxing or BJJ at some point in time, but not in the immediate future. At the moment my focus is on getting strong.

Squat 3x5x110kg
Very painful. I could feel my form going but no one around the record me for me earlier sets and spot me for my last. I am willing to try 112.5 but would love a spotter.

Press 3x5x52.5
Easy enough, scaling back up.

Chin machine
3x5x75
These never feel great, I don't like this machine. Shoulder feels good

Plank
1 min 34
Lowest ever, I don't know why my abs were giving out so fast.

Ah well happy to get 110 on the squat. Contest this Sunday.

Clean and jerks, 5 at 60kg, 3 at 70kg and 1 at 80kg. Tweaked my groin on the last one but at least I know I'll be starting at 85kg for the comp.

Bench 3x5x72.5 scaling back up, no worries from shoulder

Back extension 3x10x5kg extended.

Contest Sunday so rest day wed, light day thurs, Friday and Saturday off.

Just some snatch work today, pretty light, shoulders a bit sore so took it easy.

2 days off until meet

Meet!!

Wow what an interesting contest!

Before I lifted I weighed in and:
- was totally freaked out that the ceiling was too small for me (wasn't, but wouldn't want to too much taller than me!)
- was told as there were 3 girls so they would just run girls & guys together. I knew this could happen, but it put forward my lifts by about 45mins which messed a bit with my eating plan

Then I came back got changed, left again to warm up my girl was not ready, said she would drive on her own, and I knew she would struggle to find the place... So while I am warming up I am giving her directions... I ended up having to leave the place 2 mins before it started to get her... Talk about interrupted

So my shoulders were reasonable and my groin held together, but the two factors combined had me power snatching, which I like more anyway

55kg good and easy
60kg good and easy (+4kg PB)
65kg red lighted, and I knew why.

Shoulders weren't too bad but I was more worried about my groin heading into C&J. I though about starting at 80kg but I am so much stronger then I was, I decided to go all out...

85kg good and easy (= PB)
90kg good but felt heavy (+5kg PB)
95kg... I thought long and hard about this but I so badly wanted to get 95kg, there is something cool about lifting 2 large weights. And it was good!!!! But i struggled big time... 2 whites and a red. (+10kg PB).

I was surprised I got one red flag but watching the video I realised
a) it looked easier than it felt, the clean anyway
b) I was lucky to get the two whites!! Well I thought so anyway...

Video to come tomorrow

From yesterday

Front squats 3x5x87.5
Press 3x5x52.5
Back extensions 3x10x5*

Deadlift 2x3x145kg (PB)
Bench 3x5x72.5
Chins 2x5x75, 5x82
Plank 1 minute 51

Deadlift 2x3x150kg (PB)
Press 2x5x52.5 , 1x5x55kg
Plank 1 min 51

Jerk skills
Front squat 3x5x77.5
Bench 3x5x75

No more lifting for 2 weeks

Back from holiday

Dropped by 20% because I was concerned about recovery.

Front squat 3x5x67.5kg
Press 3x5x45kg
Plank 1 minute 34

Amazing how 2 weeks off and a 20% reduction has made me so sore

Missed today

Deads 2x3x140kg
Bench 3x5x65
Plank 1 min 6 secs

I was supposed to be deading 120kg but there were some bros bigger than me deading 120kg givin each other high fives and yelling "my man" after they finished their set. Got the better of me, lol, hope I'm not too sore tomorrow

Squat 3x5x90
Press 3x5x50
Shrugs 3x5x90
Plank 1 min 58

Squat was amazing... I was literally surprised at no pain in groin I was so used it... Yay for 2 weeks off.

Back on shrugs hope the shoulders pull up okay

Overhead squat in 5's

Good mornings (trying to learn them) in 5's

Deadlift doh
2x3x140

Bench
3x5x72.5

Front squat 3x5x80
Press 3x5x52.5
Deadlift 2x3x110
Shrugs 5x5x90

Chin machine 5x82, 5x75