The Phantom (1996)

Kristy Swanson was in that?

Sheeeeeeit... I would have watched it for that reason alone.

pll-00051.jpg

Lol, yeah, but i am over 40. I have been into them from when I found a suitcase full of 1950's and 1960's Phantoms' my grandfather had on the farm. He gave them to me and I added a few over the years.

Probably have over 300 vintage comics worth somewhere around $20 grand if i could be bothered selling them individually. I will probably never sell them.

I read earlier that the newspaper comic strip is still being published. That blows my mind.

The bad guy having that microscope that shot up razor blades when you adjusted the focus scarred me

This and The Shadow are better than most, if not all, the new superhero movies imo. With the exception of TDK

That really was a dick move.
I might've watched this movie 2 or 3 times 20 fucking years ago and I still remember that small scene. Along with prime CZJ being incredibly hot.

I might've watched this movie 2 or 3 times 20 fucking years ago and I still remember that small scene. Along with prime CZJ being incredibly hot.

The cast really surprised me. I didn't expect to see so many recognizable faces.

I really wonder how I would've felt about the movie if I had seen it when it was first released.

You know, between this, Rocketeer, Dick Tracey, Roger Rabbit, The Shadow and Indiana Jones all in my childhood it really is no wonder that the 30's and 40's style women does it for me

giphy.gif

You know, between this, Rocketeer, Dick Tracey, Roger Rabbit, The Shadow and Indiana Jones all in my childhood it really is no wonder that the 30's and 40's style women does it for me

giphy.gif

Aside from that pesky old Depression, everything about the 30s was awesome. I love the clothing styles, and that art deco look that characterized all the swanky interiors is awesome. We need to bring that shit back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aside from that pesky old Depression, everything about the 30s was awesome. I love the clothing styles and that art deco look that characterized all the swanky interiors is awesome. We need to bring that shit back.
Me too. I really had never put together that there were a lot of movies in that time period that i grew up on. Even things like Tim Burton’s Batman and The Mask had Art Deco elements.

I wonder why you don’t see more modern films set in that time period. I remember the one with Sean Penn and Gosling a couple years ago where Emma Stone was trying to be the femme fatale
Gangster-Squad-Character-Poster-%E2%80%93-Emma-Stone.jpg

But just no.

I wonder why you don’t see more modern films set in that time period.

I dunno, it's a good question.

As I mentioned earlier, I know that when The Phantom, The Rocketeer and The Shadow came out, all three were box office failures.

One thing that I've come to understand is that a film being a period piece is actually considered an OBSTACLE in terms of getting people into the theater. It took me several years to fully understand that and wrap my head around it, because for me, a film being a period piece--provided it was a period I thought was cool--was always something that would grab my attention and make me MORE interested. I've always enjoyed the way that movies can give me a way to experience other times and places.

I dunno, it's a good question.

As I mentioned earlier, I know that when The Phantom, The Rocketeer and The Shadow came out, all three were box office failures.

One thing that I've come to understand is that a film being a period piece is actually considered an OBSTACLE in terms of getting people into the theater. It took me several years to fully understand that and wrap my head around it, because for me, a film being a period piece--provided it was a period I thought was cool--was always something that would grab my attention and make me MORE interested. I've always enjoyed the way that movies can give me a way to experience other times and places.
If anything i think that is the entire point of cinema, to take you away from your life to another world. I guess i do understand that though. There’s plenty of eras that a movie could be made about that would instantly turn me away.

Never seen the film but the old snes game was great

If anything i think that is the entire point of cinema, to take you away from your life to another world. I guess i do understand that though. There’s plenty of eras that a movie could be made about that would instantly turn me away.

Just limiting the conversation to American history, for me the 50s, 60s and 70s are pretty iffy. But basically any period in American history before or after that is going to be interesting to me.

Founding of the colonies? Why not. American Revolution? I'm down. Wild West? Let's do it. New York in the Roaring 20s? Cool.

Right now I'm enjoying all the 80s revivalism that's been going on.

Just limiting the conversation to American history, for me the 50s, 60s and 70s are pretty iffy. But basically any period in American history before or after that is going to be interesting to me.

Founding of the colonies? Why not. American Revolution? I'm down. Wild West? Let's do it. New York in the Roaring 20s? Cool.

Right now I'm enjoying all the 80s revivalism that's been going on.
Yeah even after all the good reviews and starring two big name actors like Gosling and Crowe i still couldn’t get into The Nice Guys just because of the 70’s setting. Seems like anything set in the 50’s or 60’s inevitably turns into a racism story.

Yeah, its not much chop these days.

It's glory days were post war with Lee Falk.

I didn't even realize that comic strips in newspapers were still a thing. I can't help but think that pretty soon newspapers themselves will no longer be a thing.

No, they come across as exactly what they are: Cheap, cynical cash-grabs. I could forgive that if they we're actually good, but I've seen enough to know there is nothing that is good about those films.

Any time I watch clips from them I literally feel uneasy.

Their version of King Solomon's Mines might be one of the biggest pieces of shit in cinema history... despite having Sharon Stone in it. Firewalker with Chuck Norris is much better but still pretty poor.

As for the Phantom... I liked it when I was 8. Combining two skulls and getting a death ray seemed like a pretty damn sweet thing to have back then.

Back