The Phantom (1996)

Have you seen the Richard Chamberlain Allan Quatermain movies from the 80s? Since you're so into Indiana Jones, it seems like you might enjoy them.

Those movies are terrible. Lots of bisexual undertones in those movies.

Billy Zane sucks.

He's great in this one

7184H9PXBXL._SY445_.gif

as is Sam Neill

and Nicole Kidman

and Nicole Kidman's ass

underrated flick in general

He's great in this one

7184H9PXBXL._SY445_.gif

as is Sam Neill

and Nicole Kidman

and Nicole Kidman's ass

underrated flick in general

It's like Billy Zane used that role to exorcise some demons... and because of that he was never the same actor again. All that shit in his head made him a better thespian.

for some reason, this reminds me of gray ghost...bruce wayne's childhood cartoon idol, most likely due to the time period in which it is set.

for some reason, this reminds me of gray ghost...bruce wayne's childhood cartoon idol, most likely due to the time period in which it is set.
I thought the Grey Ghost was based on Eisner's The Spirit.

As far as the Phantom goes, I remember seeing an ad in the back of a comic book for it when it was coming out (remember those?) The skull ring was cool but I couldn't get past the purple unitard.

I thought the Grey Ghost was based on Eisner's The Spirit.

As far as the Phantom goes, I remember seeing an ad in the back of a comic book for it when it was coming out (remember those?) The skull ring was cool but I couldn't get past the purple unitard.

probably, i think i mentally link them together because they have that certain nostalgic feeling from the roaring 20s/30s

I liked it when I saw it in theaters. Of course this was over 20 years ago and I was only 10.

I remember there were three movies that all came out around the same time that were based on old properties from yesteryear:

The Phantom, The Shadow and The Rocketeer.

And sadly, they all underperformed at the box office. The Phantom only made $17 million in its entire theatrical run.

I did read earlier though that it sold very well on home video for whatever reason.

I think a Dick Tracy came out around this time as well.

But if you like the 30s feel with a little darker plot, then watch Dark City. Great Neo-Nior.

I liked the shadow a lot. But haven't seen it since I've been an adult. I'm almost afraid to, because other movies I liked as a kid I've tended to hate once I go back and rewatch them now.

Never seen the phantom though, mostly because the costume looked so dumb that I just figured "if that's the level of effort they put in, then it's not worth my time"

I have that same feeling about the Karl Urban version of Dredd. Haven't watched it yet because the helmet looks like Rick Moranis in Spaceballs.

Enjoyed this, Shadow, and Dick Tracy a lot. I have rewatched them all within the last year or two, and like them all still.

Back