THE PUNISHER Netflix Series (Season 2 Premiering Jan. 2019)

If you have seen THE PUNISHER season one, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Russo was yet another villain done right by Marvel Netflix. Idk what their magic formula is but they know how to create great antagonists (Kingpin, Purple Man and now Russo aka Jigsaw).

Marvel Netflix almost batted a perfect with their villains but they killed off Cottonmouth far too early in the Luke Cage series.

Russo was yet another villain done right by Marvel Netflix. Idk what their magic formula is but they know how to create great antagonists (Kingpin, Purple Man and now Russo aka Jigsaw).

Marvel Netflix almost batted a perfect with their villains but they killed off Cottonmouth far too early in the Luke Cage series.
I really hated that they let Russo live just so they can set up his Jigsaw return. If it was really that necessary that he lives, they could 'ev at least given him an off screen "death" and make his Jigsaw return that more powerful. Frank straight up kills everyone that crosses his path yet he lets Russo live because...? C'mon son. That was just lazy writing. And yeah, as soon as Cottonmouth died, so did my interest in anything Luke Cage related.

I really hated that they let Russo live just so they can set up his Jigsaw return. If it was really that necessary that he lives, they could 'ev at least given him an off screen "death" and make his Jigsaw return that more powerful. Frank straight up kills everyone that crosses his path yet he lets Russo live because...? C'mon son. That was just lazy writing. And yeah, as soon as Cottonmouth died, so did my interest in anything Luke Cage related.
Not lazy writing when you listen to the scene IMO.

He goes to kill him and then says "no, killing you would be too easy". It goes back to the "was it only about the cars, women and numbers Bill?" during the torture scene. Billy says yes.

So, Frank proceeds to take the one thing away from Billy that he values more than anything, his looks. "I wake up every day hoping to die Billy, and I can't."

I stalled out on it too. Started off really promising, enjoyed the first episode the most; then it quickly got bogged down in a lot of modern soldier PTSD stuff that felt really cheesy to me, not impactful, and most importantly, did not feel Punisher-y. Microchip doesn't feel right either. I stopped after a few episodes. Oh well.
Start back up during PTSD-kids raid on the hotel.

Not lazy writing when you listen to the scene IMO.

He goes to kill him and then says "no, killing you would be too easy". It goes back to the "was it only about the cars, women and numbers Bill?" during the torture scene. Billy says yes.

So, Frank proceeds to take the one thing away from Billy that he values more than anything, his looks. "I wake up every day hoping to die Billy, and I can't."

Start back up during PTSD-kids raid on the hotel.

That's the best individual episode in the whole excellent season imo

I stalled out on it too. Started off really promising, enjoyed the first episode the most; then it quickly got bogged down in a lot of modern soldier PTSD stuff that felt really cheesy to me, not impactful, and most importantly, did not feel Punisher-y. Microchip doesn't feel right either. I stopped after a few episodes. Oh well.

Having finished the show I can say he never becomes "The Punisher". That opening scene where he takes out the leftover's from Daredevil and burns the skull is all you get. The rest of the show is about a guy fighting a conspiracy. Oh, and soldiers complaining about how hard their jobs are...in a world where Nick Fury and Captain America exist.

It's not a terrible show, but if it wasn't called "The Punisher" I'd never have watched it.

These are from the end of May:

Screen%2BShot%2B2018-05-31%2Bat%2B12.53.45%2BPM%2B%255Bwww.imagesplitter.net%255D.jpeg

GT1Vvsto

Can't make out the scars on Jigsaw that well but it's pretty awesome to finally see a returning villain in anything Marvel that wasn't some dude brought back from the death.

Didn’t like it. Too boring and melodramatic. Got the Castle tone wrong.

Also, Russo better be really disfigured. Not just a little bit.

I still can't get over how savage Frank's kid was in that scene with Billy:
"If you're an orphan how do you know you were named after Billy the Kid?"

I’m on episode 8 of the 3rd season of the daredevil series and god do I wish punisher was here to do things his way.

One of the MCU's great strengths is to take established villains and actually make the cinematic version better. Thanos, Red Skull, Vulture, Bullsye, Kilgrave and Jigsaw are all far more rounded characters on screen than in the comics.

That said, I didn't want Billy to return this season. It's too soon. Give me Barracuda, the 6 foot 7, 300lbs, ex-Green Beret, mercenary and occasional cannibal:)

Last edited:
I’m on episode 8 of the 3rd season of the daredevil series and god do I wish punisher was here to do things his way.
Agreed, I got to like episode 6 or 7 where Daredevil is wondering if he can beat Fisk with Foggy and Karen and I'm like:
"CALL THE MOTHERFUCKER WITH THE SKULL GODDAMNIT!"

One of the MCU's great strengths is to take established villains and actually make the cinematic version better. Thanos, Red Skull, Vulture, Bullsye and Jigsaw are all far more rounded characters on screen than in the comics.

That said, I didn't want Billy to return this season. It's too soon. Give me Barracuda, the 6 foot 7, 300lbs, ex-Green Beret, mercenary and occasional cannibal:)
Rumors I've read is Barracuda is the "big bad" and potentially "The Russian" as well with Billy just kind of a periphery thing the way Fisk was in Season 2 of Daredevil.

Reason I say that is Bernthal mentioned Barracuda, the production staff/directors also mentioned Barracuda as a "we want him in this series" in the lead up to the Season 2 announcement.

And reason for me saying Russo is just a periphery guy:
https://www.screengeek.net/2018/05/11/the-punisher-season-2-villains-cast/

They basically outright said he puts in an appearance to remind you of his existence but doesn't sound like he's the main BIG BAD.

One thing that is concerning me right now... Of the MCU Netflix shows... 2 have now been cancelled after pretty major cliffhanger season endings in Iron Fist and Luke Cage.

As much as I loooooooved this show, I can't help but feel fear that the second season won't be up to snuff in comparison to the first, and we'll be looking at another cancellation.

One of the MCU's great strengths is to take established villains and actually make the cinematic version better. Thanos, Red Skull, Vulture, Bullsye and Jigsaw are all far more rounded characters on screen than in the comics.

I really hope to see Dr. Doom on the big screen, I'd even accept a tv version.

As much as I loooooooved this show, I can't help but feel fear that the second season won't be up to snuff in comparison to the first, and we'll be looking at another cancellation.
I have that fear too but there's a huge saving grace that The Punisher as a character has over Luke Cage and Iron Fist and Jessica Jones. It's the same thing that keeps Daredevil relevant.

People that aren't comic book fans know who Punisher is. His story/backstory is one that basically any American can relate to because almost EVERYONE has a friend or family member that has served and probably been deployed in this day and age that came back... different... either physically or mentally.

Add to that that the skull is used by SEAL teams as their logos (Kyle/Jocko Willink's SEAL team used it) and his character is very ingrained in any even regular infantry unit he's well know. The problem Iron Fist especially had and Luke Cage have to a lesser degree is unless you're a comic book person... no one really knew who they were.

Daredevil and Punisher have enough crossover with the BIG TIME heroes like the Avengers (hell, Captain America almost killed Frank in Civil War), or Spider Man where he teams up with Daredevil and fought Frank when Frank was first introduced is a big deal.

Add in one last thing... it's obvious that Marvel knows they have a bit of a goldmine going with the Symbiotes with how Venom did... guess two other guys that Venom has taken over:
punisher_venom_by_perronegro300-d6qj9p2.jpg

eovv1variant.jpg

Venom or another Symbiote have taken over Daredevil and Punisher at one point or another too.

And last and final thing... the cast of Daredevil and the Punisher series... they can actually act.

Dude that plays Iron First is wooden as fuck and that whole cast generally is garbage outside of Wade which is a huge issue as Wade is barely a periphery character. Same with Luke Cage, the chick playing Mariah goes from either not seeming to give a shit in her scenes to over-acting to such a degree it looks like Shawn Michaels vs Hogan at Survivor Series. The cast of Jessica Jones isn't much better.

By comparison, Cox and Bernthal you can tell take their roles as Murdock and Castle not only seriously but they're also HUGE fans of the characters they're playing and you can feel that in their portrayals.

EDIT:
It's the same reason that even though there hasn't been a solo Hulk film since the Ed Norton on that an argument can be made and is right that Ruffalo is better as Banner. Compared to Norton's portrayal at least Ruffalo seems to be enjoying it and brings a lot to the screen as The Hulk and is believable. Roth and the dude playing the General in the Norton Hulk movie are the only two guys that seemed to give a shit.

I won't even bet,on this thread. Disney fucked all you fucks. Get ready for only happy endings.

NERDS

@Mocrates one other thing too that is a huge selling point whether we want to admit it or not...

the ultra violence that you can get with the Punisher character is great. As much as the politicians and celebs like to whine and moan about violence when it hits our streets they all know they make their money off selling that to us.

Just look at the brutality in just highlight vids of Frank from his two seasons on the screen:

Not sure what you're trying to say, but you're about to catch these hands nonetheless.
Lol.

Whether you kids like it or not. Disney owns all this shit and the darker edgier shit on dd ends.

Lol.

Whether you kids like it or not. Disney owns all this shit and the darker edgier shit on dd ends.
Except Disney already owned this shit when these scenes happened:

Sssssooooo.... you're probably wrong. Actually no "probably" about it. You're 100% wrong.

Daredevil Season 3 had some real graphic and dark shit happen in it too and Disney's owner right now of that property so... again, you're wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back