The real life effects of gerrymandering explained

Do you know how the electoral college works, and why it was designed the way it was?
Why does every post of yours come off like you just looked something up on the internet because your sorta smart drug dealer cousin said it?

No. Try again.

I'm correct.

When the founders of the U.S. Constitution in 1787 considered whether America should let the people elect their president through a popular vote, James Madison said that “Negroes” in the South presented a “difficulty … of a serious nature.”

The framers met for the Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia in 1787, they aimed to unify the colonies with a government that gave fair representation to all states, no matter their size.

They were deciding whether slaves in Southern states should be considered property –to abscond population taxes — or people, so those states could have more representation in government.

Slaves were the economic heart and pulse of the country and the Northern states, even if they did not engage in slavery, benefited from their labor. So even though slaves were unable to vote, the Convention decided that slaves should be counted as three-fifths of a white person for the purposes of representation in Congress.

Considering options for electing the president, James Madison, now known as the "Father of the Constitution" and a slave-owner in Virginia, said the "right of suffrage was much more diffusive in the Northern than the Southern States; and the latter could have no influence in the election on the score of Negroes."

With that, Madison had proposed the prototype for the same Electoral College system the country uses today: instead of a direct vote, each state was to choose electors, roughly based off their population, but weighted by slaves.

Why does every post of yours come off like you just looked something up on the internet because your sorta smart drug dealer cousin said it?

I don't know. How many pro wrestling champions from Mexico do you know?

Why am I giving history lessons to Americans ffs.

The electoral college was, quite literally, set up to appease racists.

I'm correct.

When the framers met for the Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia in 1787, they aimed to unify the colonies with a government that gave fair representation to all states, no matter their size.

They were deciding whether slaves in Southern states should be considered property –to abscond population taxes — or people, so those states could have more representation in government.

Slaves were the economic heart and pulse of the country and the Northern states, even if they did not engage in slavery, benefited from their labor. So even though slaves were unable to vote, the Convention decided that slaves should be counted as three-fifths of a white person for the purposes of representation in Congress.

Considering options for electing the president, James Madison, now known as the "Father of the Constitution" and a slave-owner in Virginia, said the "right of suffrage was much more diffusive in the Northern than the Southern States; and the latter could have no influence in the election on the score of Negroes."

With that, Madison had proposed the prototype for the same Electoral College system the country uses today: instead of a direct vote, each state was to choose electors, roughly based off their population, but weighted by slaves.

Editing your post to add something you copy-and-pasted would've been a good idea if you'd actually read or understood what it is you copied. What do you think the Three-Fifths compromise did, and how do you think it makes the electoral college "racist"?

Editing your post to add something you copy-and-pasted would've been a good idea if you'd actually read or understood what it is you copied. What do you think the Three-Fifths compromise did, and how do you think it makes the electoral college "racist"?

Holy fuck, go away you moron. Theres mountains of literature that support my thesis. Its you who lacks reading comprehension.

Off to ignore you go, it's where I send idiots.

Last edited:
Holy fuck, go fuck yourself you moron. Theres mountains of literature that support my thesis. Its you who lacks reading comprehension.

Off to ignore you go, it's where I send idiots.

So rather than justify your baseless claims or explain yourself in any way whatsoever, you'll resort to name-calling and sticking your fingers in your ears?

Sounds reasonable.

Fuck that, we need gerrymandering. The democrats will eventually capture a latino voting block that will be over 30% of the total vote. It is happening, cue the ron paul gif. The most rural of rural areas will be the only places left. I will give the republicans all the advantages they can get for now. I'm not interested in a one party system.

Fuck that, we need gerrymandering. The democrats will eventually capture a latino voting block that will be over 30% of the total vote. It is happening, cue the ron paul gif. The most rural of rural areas will be the only places left. I will give the republicans all the advantages they can get for now. I'm not interested in a one party system.

Rig the vote, that's the Republican way!

All the republicans would have to do is not actively insult latinos. Nearly every value they have lines up with the right. The current white base just doesnt like them.

All the republicans would have to do is not actively insult latinos. Nearly every value they have lines up with the right. The current white base just doesnt like them.

It's a lose lose. The republicans would have to essentially stop using immigration as any part of their platform and that is one of the only good stances modern republicans have. Take immigration and what are they left with? Anti-abortion, anti-gay, tax breaks for corporations, gaurantee of international conflict? No thanks.

God forbid the GOP change their policies to be compatible with the 21st century...

It's a lose lose. The republicans would have to essentially stop using immigration as any part of their platform and that is one of the only good stances modern republicans have. Take immigration and what are they left with? Anti-abortion, anti-gay, tax breaks for corporations, gaurantee of international conflict? No thanks.

So you agree their party is terrible. Why shouldnt they be allowed to die out?

People get representation, not land. I think maps like this can be misleading since they imply an equal distribution of people for those (not you) that don't understand them.

Also, in Virginia the rural Republican areas have controlled the state legislature for the past 20 years or so. Not sure how that shows the "urban areas running things."

The state legislature is not a state wide vote on winner take all as say the governor. The urban areas have grown so large in population that they can over vote the rest of the state, that's how they can run things. So a small area of dense population can run the state.

If you had any concept of US electoral policy, you'd know rural folks have way, way disproportionate influence over governance at the state and (especially) the federal level.

Your position is pretty clearly unconstitutional in contravening "one person, one vote."

You clearly don't understand we don't live in a democracy (mob rule) and why. So there is much more to it then one person one vote.

Yes and clearly you don't understand how our government was set and works.

I'm not sure you do. Ok, let's say you're right. Seeing we don't want mob rule, and as I sure you know that term comes from ancient Greek philosophy (aristotle), keeping in line with the original hypothesis, the obvious solution is only those with university degrees should be able to vote.

Surely you agree? Can't have the mob ruling.

To be more safe from the mob, let's up that qualification to vote to a masters, or even a PhD.

Back