The reality of Loma: He's the 2nd coming of Roy Jones Jr and he wont last long

Orlando Salido started dominating him pretty damn clearly before Robert asked the ref if his man could quit and go straight to the score cards. The idiot ref said yes so Mikey and Robert called it a day and escaped with a pretty humiliating victory. He lost a lot of fans that day including me and most of the guys I was watching the fight with.

Salido is a fucking flithy fighter but he started dominating Mikey before the pathetic quit job the same way he dominated Loma for several rounds in their fight.

It goes to show you that literally anyone can get dominated in the ring. Regardless of whether it's by skill or power or volume or conditioning or just plain dirty grinding fighting.

Just re watched the fight, Mikey hit Salido Hard and dropped him often. You've gone madd. Salido resorted into jumping in headfirst and throwing wild shots from his hip. You made it sound like Mikey was getting his ass kicked, when in fact it was the other way around. Salido is a tough S.O.B though.

<26> .

Just re watched the fight, Mikey hit Salido Hard and dropped him often. You've gone madd. Salido resorted into jumping in headfirst and throwing wild shots from his hip. You made it sound like Mikey was getting his ass kicked, when in fact it was the other way around. Salido is a tough S.O.B though.

<26> .

Mikey was up on the scorecards big, no doubt about that, but Salido was picking up momentum late in the fight. He had two strong rounds, 6,7, and the fight was stopped in the 8th due to a broken nose. Mikey was up big, and could've stayed to finish the fight. But Robert was very worried. Salido had momentum, Mikey was injured, he pulled the plug.

It's very likely Mikey would have boxed up Salido and won a UD. Or maybe even stopped him late in the fight. he was clearly winning. But him pulling the plug on the fight when he was injured and his opponent was surging is a bad look.

Other fighters see this stuff and don't forget about it. Broner even mentioned it in the lead up to their fight.

Mikey was up on the scorecards big, no doubt about that, but Salido was picking up momentum late in the fight. He had two strong rounds, 6,7, and the fight was stopped in the 8th due to a broken nose. Mikey was up big, and could've stayed to finish the fight. But Robert was very worried. Salido had momentum, Mikey was injured, he pulled the plug.

It's very likely Mikey would have boxed up Salido and won a UD. Or maybe even stopped him late in the fight. he was clearly winning. But him pulling the plug on the fight when he was injured and his opponent was surging is a bad look.

Other fighters see this stuff and don't forget about it. Broner even mentioned it in the lead up to their fight.

Broner may not have the footwork of Loma but he has plenty of speed and Athleticism more so than Mikey. He hits pretty good too. Mikey had no problem boxing him up. Cut the ring off and outworked him. Broner is prob faster than Loma but not quite as dynamic.

EDIT : so the broken nose comment ( from Broner ) turned out to be a moot point.

Greatest athlete you've ever seen? Comparing Loma to RJJ ? Technically unmatched?

He's the greatest athlete IN BOXING that I've seen since Roy Jones, yes. I dare you to name a better one.

He's the greatest athlete IN BOXING that I've seen since Roy Jones, yes. I dare you to name a better one.
Bro so your saying Loma is a better athlete then Floyd?? Your basing this off of a guy who has had 11 fights and lost one of them to a 40 yr old journeymen...you dont think you might be jumping the gun a little prematurely???? LMFAO

This wasn't addressed to me but I'll give you some sound advice. You need to provide your criteria for what makes Lomachenko a better athlete than any other elite athlete in the history of boxing bar Roy Jones Jr. In other words, which attributes do you see in him that you believe are unrivaled? Strength, power, speed, cardio, endurance (not the same as cardio), intelligence, work ethic/dedication, agility, coordination, balance, reflexes, et al.

Broner may not have the footwork of Loma but he has plenty of speed and Athleticism more so than Mikey. He hits pretty good too. Mikey had no problem boxing him up. Cut the ring off and outworked him. Broner is prob faster than Loma but not quite as dynamic.

EDIT : so the broken nose comment ( from Broner ) turned out to be a moot point.

Broner is definitely not faster than Lomachenko.

This wasn't addressed to me but I'll give you some sound advice. You need to provide your criteria for what makes Lomachenko a better athlete than any other elite athlete in the history of boxing bar Roy Jones Jr. In other words, which attributes do you see in him that you believe are unrivaled? Strength, power, speed, cardio, endurance (not the same as cardio), intelligence, work ethic/dedication, agility, coordination, balance, reflexes, et al.
Exactly, otherwise its just blind favoritism.

Loma is much more technically sound than a guy like RJJ. RJJ got away with doing everything you aren’t supposed to do. Loma is solid technically, irrespective of athletic gifts. I don’t see him falling as dramatically as RJJ as a result.
His speed makes him special. He's not fighting anyone who can deal with his speed.

I see the parallel as far as their domination of opponents and making them look like amateurs competing against professionals, but they're way different stylistically. Roy relied heavily on his reflexes and explosiveness whereas Vasyl's greatest tools are his patience and composure.

I do feel like with his newfound popularity we'll eventually see someone decode Lomachenko's style and his wins will become much less one-sided compared to what we're seeing now, which is something we saw happen with Jones.

Source?? Broner's got pretty fast hands...

Check 0:45 in....

Not a fan, just say'n

<Fedor23> .

Broner has relatively fast hands. Lomachenko has extremely fast hands, and, more than that, his feet are drastically faster (and he's just generally a lot more athletic if we're talking balance, coordination, etc.).

Have to disagree, I don't think Lomachenko's hand speed is all that special. I'm not sure even his feet are all that fast either, someone like Pacquiao has significantly faster feet. I don't see him as being some athletic phenom like RJJ, more extremely well schooled with fantastic sense of positioning and the cardio to support his style.

Broner has relatively fast hands. Lomachenko has extremely fast hands, and, more than that, his feet are drastically faster (and he's just generally a lot more athletic if we're talking balance, coordination, etc.).

Have to disagree, I don't think Lomachenko's hand speed is all that special. I'm not sure even his feet are all that fast either, someone like Pacquiao has significantly faster feet. I don't see him as being some athletic phenom like RJJ, more extremely well schooled with fantastic sense of positioning and the cardio to support his style.

I don't know how people don't see him as especially fast. Sure, he is excellent technically, and consistently being in good position to get your shots off (while putting your opponent in shitty position to get their shots off) is going to make you look faster, but he clearly looked the faster man in essentially every way when he fought Gary Russell Jr., a guy who people were saying had the fastest hands in boxing.

Now, it's one thing saying that he's a great athlete, and another saying that he's on par with Roy Jones Jr.. That much I do agree with, but if we're talking boxers right now, he's as gifted as anyone fighting at the moment, I think.

Nope.

When great fighters get in the ring together and neither guy has one shot ko power the fight will at some point come down to who has the heart to win. Garcia has been semi-retired for years with one foot out of the ring. Look what happened when things got rough with Orlando Salido. Robert literally checked with the ref to see if his man could quit and still get the win. The ref said yes so him and his fighter called it a day. Salido was waaaaay dirtier with Loma and not only did Loma take him the distance he had him out on his feet in the final round. If Mikey gets in serious trouble Robert will save him. They are more interested in money and safety than they are in legacy or bravado. Not saying it's right or wrong but it is the truth. Loma makes guys quit. Mikey will never take a beating. Even if he was willing to do it his corner isn't won't let it happen. That puts him at a huge disadvantage long before the bell ever rings.
You’re drawing conclusions that don’t really exist with that salido fight, at least not within all context. Mikey dropped salido 4 times in thst fight. He was ahead by a mile. Robert also knew that Orlando was going to come in dirty, lead with his head. He mentioned it before it actually happened.

I’d be more inclined to agree with you if Mikey took a cheap win in a fight he was losing, but that isn’t the case. Mikey was clearly ahead on all cards, then Orlando did what Orlando does, get dirty and lead with his head. Why risk a fight you are clearly winning because of machismo? The broken nose was caused by a nasty headbutt.

Mikey’s corner did the rational thing.

Last edited:
After being thoroughly disappointed following Rigo's performance against Loma, and taking some time to reflect, I've come to a conclusion regarding Lomachenko.

To me, Lomachenko is the greatest athlete in boxing that I have ever seen. I don't say that sarcastically, he is unmatched. Since 2004, Roy Jones' prime, I haven't seen anything like Lomachenko. His style is successful mainly because of his athleticism. His pace, combined with his constant feints and footwork are the reasons his opponents quit. Rigo quit not because of an injury, but because he had no answers.

He'll fight Mikey Garcia in 2018, and he'll send Mikey back to the police academy. The way that will play out is competitive in the first 4 rounds, and then the pressure will be too much for Mikey's mechanical style to overcome, Robert throws in the towel by the 8th or 9th round with Mikey's face battered and bruised. That's not a competitive fight. Neither is a fight against any other champion at 135. 140 may be pushing it for Loma's small frame, but if he decides to venture to 140 his gifts may be offset by the size of his opponents.

This dominant reign will only last for about 3 years though. Because once his legs start to go, he's turning 30 next year, he'll be severely limited. He doesn't have the type of game, or at least hasn't developed the type of game, that is sustainable for several years. We haven't seen him 'set up shop' in the middle of the ring and fight some on the inside like Floyd, for example, in his later years when his legs went. He's also not a sharp shooter like Lara, nor does he hit as hard, to fight an exclusively outside game.

Right now, he's unmatched. Both physically and technically. Enjoy it while it lasts.

the only weakness what i see in lomachenko is he doesnt have power in his punches, but besides that his style is future.
that guy is like a glue, stays in front the opponent, pressures while he has a insane defense while he doing it. thats insane.
even mayweather cant do that shit. mayweather switches from defense to offense but lomachenko does it together while he pressures.

the only weakness what i see in lomachenko is he doesnt have power in his punches, but besides that his style is future.
that guy is like a glue, stays in front the opponent, pressures while he has a insane defense while he doing it. thats insane.

even mayweather cant do that shit. mayweather switches from defense to offense but lomachenko does it together while he pressures.

As shocking as it might sound, there have been pressure fighters with good defense in the more than 100 years that boxing has existed in a recognizably modern format.

Back