The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame can go eat a d---

Nirvana was hugely popular while Cobain was alive

Yeah, it’s amazing people say that shit sometimes. While it’s obvious death immortalizes bands/artists who don’t get the chance to burn out like everybody else..I think people lean on the “only cuz he died”’ thing too often to diminish a band(almost always Nirvana but maybe a smaller band like Sublime as well) maybe they thought were overrated

You can argue Hendrix wouldn’t be this cult figure if he was able to age, change sounds/image, and make the odd shitty record like most do. You really think Tupac and BIG wouldn’t be just like all these other older rappers like Snoop? On their 40th LP with people noting they hadn’t done shit for 15 years. Not these symbols that are held to the highest reverence.

It wouldn’t take away from what they were though. Nirvana wasn’t just a posthumous smash by a long shot. They benefit from being done too soon and not playing through the changes in times but they were very much the face when Kurt was alive...even if they weren’t the face everybody in that scene wanted.

Last edited:
Yeah, it’s amazing people say that shit sometimes. While it’s obvious death immortalizes bands/artists who don’t get the chance to burn out like everybody else..I think people lean on the “only cuz he died”’ thing too often to diminish a band(almost always Nirvana but maybe a smaller band like Sublime as well) maybe they thought were overrated

You can argue Hendrix wouldn’t be this cult figure if he was able to age, change sounds/image, and make the odd shitty record like most do. You really think Tupac and BIG wouldn’t be just like all these other older rappers like Snoop? On their 40th LP with people noting they hadn’t done shit for 15 years. Not these symbols that are held to the highest reverence.

It wouldn’t take away from what they were though. Nirvana wasn’t just a posthumous smash by a long shot. They benefit from being done too soon and not playing through the changes in times but they were very much the face when Kurt was alive...even if they weren’t the face everybody in that scene wanted.

I do agree with you about Nirvana but Sublime is really one of those bands that definately fits the bill of posthumous definition of success. They were already in their 4th album and been around 10 years but no real success except for a novelty song of Date Rape. It wasn't till the singer's death that they had their album and back catalog go gold and platinum. Without Bradley's death, the self debut album probably won't receive the airplay that it did and still be known as the Daterape band.

Still waiting on Grand Funk Railroad. No Funk, no justice

I do agree with you about Nirvana but Sublime is really one of those bands that definately fits the bill of posthumous definition of success. They were already in their 4th album and been around 10 years but no real success except for a novelty song of Date Rape. It wasn't till the singer's death that they had their album and back catalog go gold and platinum. Without Bradley's death, the self debut album probably won't receive the airplay that it did and still be known as the Daterape band.

I think it would’ve. Self titled was their major label debut after a strong Indy run with 40oz to freedom being especially popular for an Indy record. So I think they were in for a big MCA push either way, why wouldn’t they be? The album had the machine behind it unlike the others. Their record deal wasn’t a result of Bradley’s death and I think the reason for the albums massive success is pretty evident when considering its quality and the time in which it came out.

The tunes were prime for that era. No Doubt, Bosstones, Reel Big Fish, etc. were all big at that time. Sublime out of all them had the most accessible, crossover caliber, and catchy songs. Not to mention the elements of california punk wave(Rancid, Offspring, Green Day) and rap. Two other genres hot at that time.

Self titled is such a perfect record for 1996 with so many shoo in hits it’s hard to imagine it wouldn’t have been a smash regardless. In fact, considering how diverse mainstream music was in the mid 90s..seemed any type of music could crossover like swing, big band, metal, techno etc Sublime could be considered one of the defining albums of that era.

Yes technically, they are a prime example of posthumous success since Bradley died a month out from the success. They’re immortalized and idealized by his death since bands are forever young and prime when they stop at their peak. However, I think the stars were so much aligned that it would’ve been a retrospective shock if Sublime didn’t blow up with that album. Overdose or not. It wasn’t an Indy record after all and they miss out on a lot of promotion and tour support as a result of Bradley’s death as well.

Last edited:
I never understood why rap artists get into the RR HOF. It's like the decision makers are all in on affirmative action or some shit. The idea that some great rock bands can't ever seem to get in but they let NWA and Tupac in is a fucking sham.

Don't get me wrong, I like NWA and Tupac... but fucking hell, induct them in the Hip Hop/R&B HOF and call it good.

I never understood why rap artists get into the RR HOF. It's like the decision makers are all in on affirmative action or some shit. The idea that some great rock bands can't ever seem to get in but they let NWA and Tupac in is a fucking sham.

Don't get me wrong, I like NWA and Tupac... but fucking hell, induct them in the Hip Hop/R&B HOF and call it good.

It was never exclusive to just rock bands despite the name. Otherwise you can argue a lot of really early inductees should’ve never got in.

Some of the earliest inductees are from the Mo Town and Phil Spector era. Even before bands like Led Zepellin and Pink Floyd were eligible, Diana Ross was in the HoF. Tina Tiurner was in before Hendrix. It’s always been the industries hall of fame but rock n Roll sounds so much better than pop hall of fame.

Hip hop is only now reaching the age where some of it stars are eligible by the criteria so it seems kind of forced and they just up and decided to start letting rappers in, but there was never any true standard that would exclude it.

Motohead isn't even in there.
Motorhead.

It was never exclusive to just rock bands despite the name. Otherwise you can argue a lot of really early inductees should’ve never got in.

Some of the earliest inductees are from the Mo Town and Phil Spector era. Even before bands like Led Zepellin and Pink Floyd were eligible, Diana Ross was in the HoF. Tina Tiurner was in before Hendrix. It’s always been the industries hall of fame but rock n Roll sounds so much better than pop hall of fame.

Hip hop is only now reaching the age where some of it stars are eligible by the criteria so it seems kind of forced and they just up and decided to start letting rappers in, but there was never any true standard that would exclude it.
Having R&B, Soul, Blues, Swing, Jazz and Country guys like Hank Williams & Johnny Cash in there is alright because those artist helped shape Rock and Roll. Alot of the music that guys like Bill Withers, Ike & Tina Turner, and alot of the Motown bands is deserving off being in there. Throwing in hip-hop to please the liberal media is a fucking disgrace. Having stupid fucking Howard Stern come in there and disrespect Cream while some how trying to justify Bon Jovi getting in based on record sales is a joke.

Not for your reasons, but I agree there are some awful bands in there and some that should be.

As another poster said innovation should be the precursor but now we'd have to go down some crazy lineage it would never end.

Having R&B, Soul, Blues, Swing, Jazz and Country guys like Hank Williams & Johnny Cash in there is alright because those artist helped shape Rock and Roll. Alot of the music that guys like Bill Withers, Ike & Tina Turner, and alot of the Motown bands is deserving off being in there. Throwing in hip-hop to please the liberal media is a fucking disgrace. Having stupid fucking Howard Stern come in there and disrespect Cream while some how trying to justify Bon Jovi getting in based on record sales is a joke.

I agree mostly.

They could start inducting bands like Rage Against The Machine(which they likely will) and they can say the rap-rock fad that was huge in the late 90s that had a few HoF eligible bands by the success, innovation, and influence criteria was partially spawned by the Public Enemy, Run DMC, and Beastie Boys. I mean, that’s a whole era of rock music.

In that case you can use the similar argument used for other genres that populate the HoF

It could be there was some political influence on rappers becoming eligible. I don’t remember it being a point of discussion before Run DMC got in though I’m sure it would be now if rappers still weren’t in. It does annoy me they started putting hip hop in while ignoring entire eras and genres that are rock.

I’ve just always seen it as the industries hall of fame and rock n roll as an umbrella term. Its like the Grammys. So I’d expect any type of artist to get in.

I agree mostly.

They could start inducting bands like Rage Against The Machine(which they likely will) and they can say the rap-rock fad that was huge in the late 90s that had a few HoF eligible bands by the success, innovation, and influence criteria was partially spawned by the Public Enemy, Run DMC, and Beastie Boys. I mean, that’s a whole era of rock music.

In that case you can use the similar argument used for other genres that populate the HoF

It could be there was some political influence on rappers becoming eligible. I don’t remember it being a point of discussion before Run DMC got in though I’m sure it would be now if rappers still weren’t in. It does annoy me they started putting hip hop in while ignoring entire eras and genres that are rock.

I’ve just always seen it as the industries hall of fame and rock n roll as an umbrella term. Its like the Grammys. So I’d expect any type of artist to get in.
I'm pretty sure Rage Against The Machine was nominated this year but I think Faith No More should get in before RATM like I thought Alice In Chains should've got in before Nirvana and Pearl Jam. Plus with Motörhead, Judas Priest, and Iron Maiden being passed over for Glam Metal shit it's like they skipped a whole era of music but I guess finally inducting Deep Purple should make up for that.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is worthless, just like the Grammy's.

Seems like the issue is that they have reduced the spots from 6 to 5 creating a huge backlog of people who deserve to get in. Also the committee seems intent of getting every know 60s act in thus wasting some of the slots. It happened this year with Nina Simone when it could have gone to a band more deserving of the spot

I really don't give a shit about the RnRHoF.

The reality is, when you look at it, it's never been about Rock music as a genre.

Whatever gets them publicity.

I understand Blues guys getting in due to the fact most of the big rock band from the 60's and 70's were doing Rock due to guys like Howlin' Wolf, Buddy Guy, Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson, Elmore James, and T-Bone Walker. Even with guys like Hank William and Johnny Cash they influenced people in Rock too show me a Rock band that was influenced by Tupac, NWA, or Madonna.
The most you could say is that they influenced Nu-Metal I guess, well, Madonna not included.

Where she factors in... I don't know and I don't even care anymore.

Seems like the issue is that they have reduced the spots from 6 to 5 creating a huge backlog of people who deserve to get in. Also the committee seems intent of getting every know 60s act in thus wasting some of the slots. It happened this year with Nina Simone when it could have gone to a band more deserving of the spot
Nina Simone getting in is alot better then Bon Jovi the amount of people she influenced like Elton John, Aretha Franklin, David Bowe, Van Morrison, Janis Joplin, and so on. More people like her should get in instead of people based on popularity it's inductions like hers that gives it a bit of integrity.

Nina Simone getting in is alot better then Bon Jovi the amount of people she influenced like Elton John, Aretha Franklin, David Bowe, Van Morrison, Janis Joplin, and so on. More people like her should get in instead of people based on popularity it's inductions like hers that gives it a bit of integrity.
All musicians at some point influence others but shes not really the main influence for most of those you just named. Little Richard has been the main influence for Bowie and Elton John.

Besides the the Rock N Roll hall of fame has always measured a combination of influence, success, longevity and sometimes acclaim. I'm not even a Bon Jovi fan but they got in based on success, longevity and fitting the definition of rock. Its hardly anything to be disappointed with since Kiss and Journey are already in

Last edited:
Jerry Cantrell is one of the most underrated riff makers of all time. AIC imo were the best band in that era.

Even Kool and the Gang is not in it and they are the biggest funk-soul band of all time with a ton of hits in two decades.

Back