The Rock was more over and a bigger star then Stone Cold in the attitude era

The highest selling shirt ever - austin
highest draw ever - austin

Rock was number 2.

he was no Jim Londos.

Most over and bigger star? If Austin is the biggest (or second at worst) wrestling star of all time, how does he lose to the Rock?

I don't think it's even disputable who the most over and biggest star was from 1997-2002.

Rock out popped Austin from late 99 onwards when they were both on the same show.

Also, Rock's hottest year (2000) he was hotter then Austin in his hottest year (1998)

When wrestling was at its peak, who was on top?

Stone Cold Steve Austin.

Sure, Rock reinvented himself and had more longevity but no one was bigger than Austin when he was at the height of his powers.

Wrestling's peak was 2000, The Rock was on top of the mountain that year not Austin (granted he was injured for half of it)

The highest selling shirt ever - austin
highest draw ever - austin

Rock was number 2.

Highest ever drawing segment in WWE history - The Rock's This is your life
Highest ever PPV buyrate in WWE history - The Rock, vs Cena

There's a reason Rock was chose to face Hogan instead of Austin.

Austin was number 2

Wrestling's peak was 2000, The Rock was on top of the mountain that year not Austin (granted he was injured for half of it)
Did the research and fair enough, you're correct. Wrestling definitely felt hotter in 97-99 from what I recall but 2000 was a better ratings year and had become much more mainstream. I still feel like Austin was the bigger star but Rock certainly has a case.

Last edited:
I think we all know who the real star of the AE was.

Both Austin and Rock would be forgotten bums if HHH hadn't invaded Nitro in a tank and single handedly won the Monday Night Wars.

I think we all know who the real star of the AE was.

Both Austin and Rock would be forgotten bums if HHH hadn't invaded Nitro in a tank and single handedly won the Monday Night Wars.

Careful, in 10 years that could be what they're teaching the kids...

HHH playing the long term game of super burials, HHH goes over history....

At his peak, Austin was even more of a draw than 80s Hogan. Rock was a better wrestler though (obviously because of Austin's neck injury) and could work heel equally as good as tweener.

that wasn’t the reason. Austin simply didn’t want to work with Hogan.
Austin himself has confirmed many times that he was pissed off as Rock was chosen to face Hogan over him whilst he had to settle with Hall

Austin is my favorite of all me, i think he was hands down the most popular wrestler of all time (Hogans a close second) ,but there were plenty of nights where they (Rock/Austin) had the audience split 50/50

I dont remember ever hearing Rock get a louder pop than Austin when those two were workin each other (except maybe when Austin turned heel)

Austin himself has confirmed many times that he was pissed off as Rock was chosen to face Hogan over him whilst he had to settle with Hall
Austin was offered the Hogan match first but turned it down. He didn’t think the match would be good because of their clash of styles.

Lol, really? Where are you getting this info from? It was Austin’s call and he wouldn’t work with Hogan. The Rock was never “chosen” instead of Austin. More like Austin declined to work with Hogan so they put Rock in there

No one was bigger than Hulk. He was a pop culture icon of the 1980s.

Austin never reached that level and the rock did so after wresting.

Austin was more over than the rock at his peak as well.

Listen to Austin’s pop the night he came out to make the save for Foley when he won the championship.

One of the biggest pops in wresting history imo

The Rock as a heel was the best heel I ever saw. he made it so damn cool.

Back