Guillermo del Toro's THE SHAPE OF WATER (Wins Best Film and Best Director)

If you have seen THE SHAPE OF WATER, how would your rate it?

• Total voters
I get that Del Toro has an amazing vision, but his material, especially his last movie was contrived and redundant. I've seen it all before.

AUDIENCE
You should do a movie like AMELIE.
A love story.

GUILLERMO DEL TORO
FISSSSSSHHHH MAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNN.

AUDIENCE

AUDIENCE (cont'd)
We're okay with that.
great response. not sure how I missed this

Update: October 19, 2017

Gorgeous New Poster for Guillermo del Toro's THE SHAPE OF WATER

vAbg7Wf.jpg

I'm so excited, just realized this comes out soon

Saw it today. Had people working on the house today so I treated myself to a double-feature of The Shape of Water and Murder on the Orient Express. Kind of funny, because just yesterday I was telling a co-worker that I rarely go to movies anymore.

I loved it. I've always had a warm spot for Sally Hawkins and was actually surprised how *achem much of her we got to see.
Great story. Great vibe. @Secret Agent It was just like Amelie Meets the Creature From the Black Lagoon, but not as good as either, sadly.
I do feel GDT missed a few notes as it seemed to weave in and out of drama, campy, and even sappy. It was almost great. So close.
I'd give it a 7/10.

Doug Jones has really grown as an actor. Such diversity.
Michael Shannon is amazing as Matt Lauer.

I just learned Doug Jones was It's Mac Tonight. I don't know what the actual name is, but that's what we all called the McDonald's guy.

I read that Doug Jones wore that suit for 16 hours a day for many many weeks

My only concern is whether I'll laugh out loud if my funny suspicion proves true. I haven't watched the trailers too closely, but nothing ever struck me as particularly red-band worthy. So my thought was that the fishdude's dick is probably in plain sight this entire time. And she's gonna do something with it.

Something .... sexual.

Amelie meets the creature from the black lagoon is how I sold my gf on seeing it.

I gotta drive to West LA if I wanna see this shit

No other theater nearby is showing it

I gotta drive to West LA if I wanna see this shit

No other theater nearby is showing it
It's in limited release right now to drive award season Buzz. Opens nation wide 12-22

I loved it, it was a masterpiece. Beautiful story and beautifully executed. Probably my favorite del toro movie, for now above Pan's labyrinth but I'll give it some time.

Sally Hawkins was incredible and so charming, what an actress. She was amazing in Happy Go Lucky and super hot in that movie, so I was pleasantly surprised with the nudity she had in this film, which was sexy and tasteful. She is great at talking and the way she is able to deliver plot and a wide range of emotion without speaking was really impressive, and there are some really emotionally intense scenes she has to drive. Michael Shannon plays a great bad guy and I also enjoyed Octavia Spencer. The Russian agent was very good, I liked him a lot in A Serious Man. Richard Jenkins was also really good as the neighbor. I liked that the story wasn't told entirely from Eliza's point of view and it explored the motivations of Giles and Strickland for example, and the themes of the movie through other characters. You further understand Eliza's loneliness by feeling the loneliness of the neighbor.

The prosthetics in this movie for the amphibian man were excellent, love that that is such a great aspect of del toro movies. The gore in this movie was also cool and helped give the movie that creepy and tense feeling I like about his other movies. Some of it was very subtle and other times really violent.

Discussion of important scene and ending below

A very very romantic feeling movie, with its use of music and classic entertainment. The fantasy scene at the dinner table was chilling, it was built up the entire movie with her interests in music and watching all the dancing on TV and her escalating love for the amphibian man. You just really want her to be happy and everything to work out at that moment but feel it is so unlikely.

I'm so glad this had a happy ending. The narrator at the beginning of the movie really gave the impression that this wasn't going to end happily. Pan's Labyrinth is beautiful, but if the end is all in Ophelia's head it is a really defeating tragedy. This, thankfully, was a clear win for the good guys and for love against incredible odds.

The audience was asked to fill out a survey about the movie before and after the film, they were trying to figure out what exactly influenced the audience to see the movie I guess. Very happy that Del Toro was able again to use his talent on a smaller and riskier project like this than a big blockbuster which he had also proven he can do. This one is a classic for me.

10/10

WTF is going on with Cinemark? It's not showing this movie this week, next week, or the week after. Neither is the smaller theater just outside of town.

I just learned Doug Jones was It's Mac Tonight. I don't know what the actual name is, but that's what we all called the McDonald's guy.

Oh man this took me right back to the late 80s. Classic.

Back