Guillermo del Toro's THE SHAPE OF WATER (Wins Best Film and Best Director)

If you have seen THE SHAPE OF WATER, how would your rate it?

• Total voters
Watched this last night.

Hmm. . .

Here's what I've seen from GDT:

The Shape of Water
Pacific Rim
Crimson Peak
Hellboy I and II
Pan's Labyrinth
Blade II

I think that I LIKED all of those films, at least marginally, but I'm not sure that I LOVED any of them. Probably the one that I like the most and find the most rewatchable is Pacific Rim. That is in fact the only GDT movie that I own on Blu-Ray.

With all of his movies though, I tend to find so much of them so well done. He's very imaginative, his stories tend to feel fresh and original, the production design for his films is ALWAYS amazing . . . but there just seems to be something missing. Every damn time there is something about his movies that feels cold and emotionally distant and I have a problem fully engaging. The result is I end up getting a little bored.

This is also true for The Shape of Water, except this time the problem is compounded by a strange plot that I found myself cocking an eyebrow at. A mute woman falls in love with a sea creature and engages in a sexual relationship with it? What exactly is GDT trying to say here? I'm thinking it must be some kind of allegory but for the life of me I can't really figure it out, and I don't think I have enough interest in the story to try.

I'll give it a 7/10 but that is largely due to how strong the movie is OUTSIDE of the narrative.

You need to see Chronos.

Best part of the movie was Shannon.
The main actresses face annoyed me honestly. Didn't feel any chemistry with her and the asset and I could do without the nudity. It was really a chore to finish. Not enough merfolk time

Is this another La La Land?

A film that almost everyone loves, but I didn't like at all?

I was bitterly disappointed.

Well you liked Ghostbusters

Yep, I did. It was good fun.

Plus, I'm totally in love with Kate McKinnon, and she was great in it.

ghostbusters_2016_katemckinnon-1-1200x630-e1454539547633.jpg

I really like Kristen Wiig, too, she's been fantastic in a lot of movies I'm enjoyed; sadly this wasn't a great performance from her.

great flick but kinda messed up when
The chick started fucking the space alient mutant
, i mean i would totally bang the blue chick from star trek but idk

great flick but kinda messed up when
The chick started fucking the space alient mutant
, i mean i would totally bang the blue chick from star trek but idk

That scene was kinky.

Left me with tears in my eyes when the credits rolled. So many great things to say about this movie. Director, cast, lighting, camera work, choreography, the list goes on. I haven’t been swept up by a movie like this in a while. I’ve seen almost all of the other nominees for best picture in the oscars, but I felt this one blows them all away. Fucking amazing. Who else out there feels the same way?

Glad you loved it TS. I liked it a lot, but not as much as you did. Love GDT and Hawkins so I hope it takes home more awards.

Bonus:Sally Hawkins had a nice bod and her dumper wasn’t half bad either

i'm a big fan of guillermo but i wasn't blown away or anything by this movie. i think i was expecting a different kind of movie than what he gave, which was a very artistic and character centric plot line. i was expecting a bit more pan's labyrinth i think.

regardless, it was a great movie. i'd definitely put him as the lead for best director, and the movie itself is the film to beat for best picture.

I do agree they kind of glossed over the initial bonding period, but I think they nailed so many other departments that it didn’t really matter in the end. I really loved the music and the Cold War setting too. Michael Shannon was exceptional with his candy too.

Back