The Sherdogger's Guide To Fish Oil Supplementation

I read that taking fish oil can lower your Vitamin E levels. Anyone take Vitamin E suppliments specifically to make up the difference?

Ive been taking top quality fish oil for ages.. with juice.

I read that taking fish oil can lower your Vitamin E levels. Anyone take Vitamin E suppliments specifically to make up the difference?

Most fish oil supps these days will include extra vitamin e.

Not sure if this has been covered before, I remember hearing an answer somewhere but can't remember where:

If a 1g fish oil capsule has 300mg EPA/DHA, what is the other 700mg? Anyone know? Is it just the gel/oil that is supposed to help you absorb it? I'm not concerned, but just curious.

Also:
Some fish oil has EPA, DHA, and another higher number for "total omega-3 fatty acids" or "other omega 3 fatty acids". Is the total number important, or just EPA/DHA? I'd imagine that the different sources of n-3s are still effective for balancing out n-6, unless they are basically ineffective in being used by our body, like ALA from flax.

Last edited:
Not sure if this has been covered before, I remember hearing an answer somewhere but can't remember where:

If a 1g fish oil capsule has 300mg EPA/DHA, what is the other 700mg? Anyone know? Is it just the gel/oil that is supposed to help you absorb it? I'm not concerned, but just curious.

Also:
Some fish oil has EPA, DHA, and another higher number for "total omega-3 fatty acids" or "other omega 3 fatty acids". Is the total number important, or just EPA/DHA? I'd imagine that the different sources of n-3s are still effective for balancing out n-6, unless they are basically ineffective in being used by our body, like ALA from flax.

red

This thread just reminded me to take my efa's. Well done

From OP:

Cod Liver Oil - If you're looking to get a decent amount EFAs, this is NOT a good option; cod liver oil contains vitamin A and D, and to get a therapeutic amount of EPA/DHA, you'd seriously overdose on the fat-soluble vitamin A. Some versions of cod liver oil now on the market HAVE decent amounts of EPA and DHA, but here's something to chew on:

"Although activated vitamin D and vitamin A signal through common cofactors, they compete for each other's function. Retinoic acid antagonizes the action of vitamin D and its active metabolite. In humans, even the vitamin A in a single serving of liver impairs vitamin D's rapid intestinal calcium response. In a dietary intake study, Oh et al found that a high retinol intake completely thwarted vitamin D s otherwise protective effect on distal colorectal adenoma, and they found a clear relationship between vitamin D and vitamin A intakes, as the women in the highest quintile of vitamin D intake also ingested around 10,000 IU/d of retinol.

In other words, don't take cod liver oil for it's EPA and DHA, don't take it for it's vitamin D (because essentially it's useless), and don't take it for vitamin A, because you should be eating more goddamn vegetables for that.

Where I live (Norway), cod liver oil (Tran) is very common, and has always been promoted as one of the best supplements you can take. This, combined with the fact that Norway has an abundance of cod in it's seas, makes it a relatively cheap supplement.

Now, my question is in regards to the quoted text, where it says "in other words, don't take cod liver oil for it's EPA & DHA ..." etcetc. Now the Vitamin D part I can understand, but isn't it a bit harsh to to say that you shouldn't take it for the EPA,DHA and Vitamin A ?

It's not like the EPA, DHA and Vit A is less effective because it is cod liver oil? I reckognize that the EPA to DHA ratio is not optimal, but if it is the most affordable oil available, (by far.. 5 dls costs 10-12 bucks) why not ?

Is there something I'm missing?

Way back in post #121

Now, my question is in regards to the quoted text, where it says "in other words, don't take cod liver oil for it's EPA & DHA ..." etcetc. Now the Vitamin D part I can understand, but isn't it a bit harsh to to say that you shouldn't take it for the EPA,DHA and Vitamin A ?

The EPA and DHA isn't less effective---traditionally, there just hasn't been much of either in standard CLO formulas. Some brands now (as stated in the guide) have decent amounts of EPA and DHA, but the Vit A/D issue still stands. That's why I don't recommend it.

O.K! thank you for the quick response. Excellent work on this thread BTW

Question...I am taking Vitamin Shoppe's Meg-3 Fish Oil, (300mg EPA, 200mg DHA) and taking 3pills with breakfast and 3pills with dinner = 3g/day. Is this plenty of should I boost it by 4pills 2x a day to equal 4g/day?

this question is hopefully not too stupid....

do you guys still take fish oil on days you eat fish?

I do. But I probably take too much in reality. I need to get another lipid panel screening done. I take about 8400 mg a day of fish oil, which is about 4780 mg of combined epa/dha (5'10" 165 lbs).

Question...I am taking Vitamin Shoppe's Meg-3 Fish Oil, (300mg EPA, 200mg DHA) and taking 3pills with breakfast and 3pills with dinner = 3g/day. Is this plenty of should I boost it by 4pills 2x a day to equal 4g/day?

3g total combined EPA and DHA works for enhancing anabolic sensitivity. This doesn't mean that lower doses won't work; we just don't know.

I don't count n-3's unless it's EPA or DHA.

What's this I hear about it inadvertently increasing testosterone/vascularity with the addition of GLA/Zinc?

On a side note, is there any relation with fish oil and sleepiness? I have been on a cycle of 3g/day, (don't get much omega-3 in my natural diet) and noticed lately, (with the addition of a newly formed habit of drinking 1gal/water a day) I feel more tired? Shouldn't it be doing the opposite? Clearly my metabolism is increased since I have to pee MUCH more often. Input?

Back