The smartest fighter in the cage?

GSP by far. The way he worked on his opponents strenghts was unparallel.

Nice list but i would also add MM to that list ( well at least the brains of the operation Matt Hume )

MM is for sure right up there. I like how Maia has only taken 13 significant strikes in his last 4 fights. Talk about a smart fighter--that dude clearly knows where his strengths lie.

Cruz, MM
Lowest fight IQ?
Palhares

Econoreem is pretty cerebral now a days in cage. And even when he was Ubereem he was usually winning fights before getting caught. Unless chin takes away from a fighters approach, I think he could be listed.

Smartest: GSP, Cruz, MM
Dumbest: Cat Zigano she bull rushed Ronda, and got her arm ripped off. Then she lost the clinching exchanges with Pena, but continued initiating the clinch the rest of the fight. Poor fight IQ.

In & out of it:

042dominickcruz_gallery_post.0_standard_783.0.0.jpg

Most overrated fight IQ in the game

The correct answer here is GSP or Jon Jones
Or DJ

In the cage, Jones. Out of the cage, not Jones at all.

Most foolish is almost certainly Palhares.

I still remember when Weidman was supposed to have the highest IQ in the UFC.

I will go with Jones and DJ

Smartest: GSP, Cruz, MM
Dumbest: Cat Zigano she bull rushed Ronda, and got her arm ripped off. Then she lost the clinching exchanges with Pena, but continued initiating the clinch the rest of the fight. Poor fight IQ.

To be fair, a disproportionately large amount of female fighters have awful fight IQ. Heck, even Ronda does, and she beat the pants off of everyone until Holm came along.

To be fair, a disproportionately large amount of female fighters have awful fight IQ. Heck, even Ronda does, and she beat the pants off of everyone until Holm came along.
I agree, but I haven't saw Cat make any adjustments. Take Nunez for example. She had horrible fight IQ, and cardio when she first started off in the UFC. I have saw improvements in her game though. I feel like she is learning from her mistakes. Not so much from Cat.

Aldo rushing in seemed pretty intelligent. I mean, he still thinks it wasnt a bad idea at all.
Cat Zingano also thinks her sprint into Ronda would win her 50% of the fights against Ronda.

<36>

I see you listed DJ afterwards. Are you just upset about what happened when they fought?

You mean a close competitive fight, where one guy clearly looked a weight class above the other? Against a green DJ?
That's one of my favorite fights, because it's one of the rare times that I think Dominick Cruz has actually show cased this genius fight IQ that people give him so much credit for. DJ gave it to him in the stand up, and Cruz adjusted masterfully

Aside from that......I just don't think his resume is that impressive, both in terms of caliber of opponent (when you consider weight and where they were in their careers not just name), and diversity of styles faced.
The best fighter he's fought was TJ Dillishaw, and I thought TJ showed better tactical awareness and adjustments as the fight went deep.

The one thing I'll say about Dominick is that he fights like he's attended a Big John seminar on how to win a fight. Dude knows how to point fight like no other, and that's not a knock against him - he knows when, where and what kind of offense to generate to convince a judge he's winning/doing more than he is.

TL/DR
Dom is overrated
DJ beats him in a rematch
War Killishaw
Hope Garbrandt wires his chin

Back