The smartest fighter in the cage?

You mean a close competitive fight, where one guy clearly looked a weight class above the other? Against a green DJ?
That's one of my favorite fights, because it's one of the rare times that I think Dominick Cruz has actually show cased this genius fight IQ that people give him so much credit for. DJ gave it to him in the stand up, and Cruz adjusted masterfully
Oh boy... Killashaw at the end shows the salt, lol. Looking a weight class above didn't stop DJ from beating Torres did it? They were equal in the stand up & Dom broke his hand in the first which surely contributed to that & yet he still landed the better shots & hurt DJ(worse than he's ever been hurt, his words).

Aside from that......I just don't think his resume is that impressive, both in terms of caliber of opponent (when you consider weight and where they were in their careers not just name), and diversity of styles faced.

The best fighter he's fought was TJ Dillishaw, and I thought TJ showed better tactical awareness and adjustments as the fight went deep.
Compared to? Everyone he's beaten except for arguably Faber both times...third time more so..were in their primes when Dom beat them. Jorgensen never looked better & Dom embarrassed him with unbelievable ease. Bowles the undefeated champ coming off a KO of the 37-1 BW ruler in Miguel Torres got schooled by Dom landing less than 20 shots in two rounds. Benavidez...has only ever lost to Dom & DJ. Guy has always been consistently good. Mizugaki was riding a five fight win streak(including wins over Caraway, Perez & Rivera) & he got dispatched in a minute. TJ, the "champ" who was beaten by Dom after coming off all the ridiculous injuries he had. His resume contends just fine with other GOATs. If that's even who you're comparing with.

TJ or Demousetrious. TJ actually got worse as their fight went on. His moved faded drastically & he became very stationary & flat footed. But that's pretty regular for him yet people don't notice it.

The one thing I'll say about Dominick is that he fights like he's attended a Big John seminar on how to win a fight. Dude knows how to point fight like no other, and that's not a knock against him - he knows when, where and what kind of offense to generate to convince a judge he's winning/doing more than he is.
BJ Penn nod at all that except for the end. Dom is always in control.

<mma4>

Smartest - GSP
"Dumbest" - Jorge Gurgel (No disrespect to Gurgel I just think his decision to scrap and brawl with everyone as an undersized fighter with legitimate Black Belt BJJ was a "dumb" decision)

Gurgel? You know it is true when a random name like that comes up. I always saw that guy trying to "bang" and never understood it.

GEORGE SAINTS OF PIERRE, by far

who is the most intelligent fighter in the cage? Like, who has the most intelligent decisions in the cage? And who has the dumbest?
IMHO the most diligent was GSP.
Follows gameplan to a T.
But I disagree he is the smartest.
I mean, look at Kos. Broken orbital bone on first round, GSP kept jabbing him for 4 more rounds instead of finishing him.

But smartest? that was Silva on his heydays.
Took all fighters, destabilized them and broke most of them inside the cage.

Now the dumbest are the DIaz Brothers.
I absolutely LOVE them, but the refusal to improve and on something so basic as cutting the cage, allowing fighters to "run" from them (i.e. Condit & Conor)... I mean at the top, you gotta know your holes and exploits and how to avoid them.

Oh boy... Killashaw at the end shows the salt, lol. Looking a weight class above didn't stop DJ from beating Torres did it? They were equal in the stand up & Dom broke his hand in the first which surely contributed to that & yet he still landed the better shots & hurt DJ(worse than he's ever been hurt, his words).

Dom didn't land the better shots. I thought so too, I rewatched the fight recently at that's just not the case. Dom completely outwrestled him, and in a rematch I'd probably favor Dom - but barely over a year before that Brad Pickett completely dominated DJ, and not too long after Ian McCall probably should have gotten a win over him. Not the same dude we see dominating FW imho.

Compared to? Everyone he's beaten except for arguably Faber both times...third time more so..were in their primes when Dom beat them. Jorgensen never looked better & Dom embarrassed him with unbelievable ease. Bowles the undefeated champ coming off a KO of the 37-1 BW ruler in Miguel Torres got schooled by Dom landing less than 20 shots in two rounds. Benavidez...has only ever lost to Dom & DJ. Guy has always been consistently good. Mizugaki was riding a five fight win streak & he got dispatched in a minute. TJ, the "champ" who was beaten by Dom after coming off all the ridiculous injuries he had. His resume contends just fine with other GOATs. If that's even who you're comparing with.
Compared to other guys considered to have great fight IQ.
You're speaking from the perspective of someone who is a fan of the dude, which is respectable and fair but at least acknowledge it.
Jorgenson and Bowles were the best available, I think most would agree that neither would be top 10 at BW today even in their prime.
Benavidez is an amazing fighter though I must say he nearly took a split against Dom- despite the fact that he was basically fighting a guy up a weight class.
DJ had been in Zuffa for a year - and fighting up a weight class.
Mizukagi is the ultimate gatekeeper.
TJ Dillishaw is a great fighter.

I look at that list, and I look at GSP or Jones' resume and my reaction? Meh.
And it's not even Dominick's fault, I'll acknowledge that - he's been out of the game for way too long
But the fact remains. Meh.

TJ or Demousetrious. TJ actually got worse as their fight went on. His moved faded drastically & he became very stationary & flat footed. But that's pretty regular for him yet people don't notice it.

BJ Penn nod at all that except for the end. Dom is always in control.

<mma4>

Wait, you mean despite the fact that he pretty much unanimously won the last two rounds on both media and judges scorecards? TJ slowing down and still being able to do that just speaks to him being a savvy enough fighter to make adjustments while tired - which speaks volumes.

You guys are out here pretending like Dom just showcases absolute dominance over elite fighters fight in and fight out. He doesn't,
He's completely shut down Faber (the third time because the second fight was close), Mizugaki, Jorgenson and Bowles - and I guess Joey B the first time around
DJ despite being green gave it to him the first time around, great performance from Dom to overcome that
Benavidez almost took a win off of him, I personally thought the fight was a draw
TJ almost took a win off him, fans and media I think were pretty split
And these are the three best names on his resume

It's not like when he fought the Benavidez rematch he showed massive improvements against the dude.

Really? Best fight IQ ever? Whether or not it's true, there's no proof for it.
Dominick's best in fight quality is making it look like he's winning exchanges even when he's not, if that's what you consider to be GOAT fight IQ then we'll have to agree to disagree.
His biggest strength outside the cage? Making fans believe he's better than he is.
Injuries aside, dude belongs on the mount rushmore of the lighterweight classes right now, especially given his history
But c'mon son, best fight IQ ever? Don't gimme that. I'm looking at GSP shutting out all comers, and Jones schooling elite fighter after elite fighter with brilliant tactics. I'm looking at DJ constantly making improvements dominating rematches with dudes that gave it to him the first time around.
Come back when you shut down an elite fighter bantamweight fighter in his prime.

Last edited:
Smartest- Jones inside the cage
Less Smartest- Jones outside the cage

Also as everyone said GSP is a good pick

I thought TJ showed better tactical awareness and adjustments as the fight went deep.

I thought TJ looked more flat, frustrated, and less diverse in his striking as the fight went on. Let's rewatch the fight, but TJ never really looked comfortable in there and didn't seem to know how to adjust to the movement. As far as Cruz'z best opponent it was certainly TJ, not an undersized MM. I think Dillashaw, and maybe Dodson, have the best chance at taking the belt.

I thought TJ looked more flat, frustrated, and less diverse in his striking as the fight went on. Let's rewatch the fight, but TJ never really looked comfortable in there and didn't seem to know how to adjust to the movement. As far as Cruz'z best opponent it was certainly TJ, not an undersized MM. I think Dillashaw, and maybe Dodson, have the best chance at taking the belt.
http://www.fightmetric.com/fight-details/c4938baf92d2dc31

Check the stats. I hate to use them because they can be used to fit any narrative of a fight, but I absolutely love that match and have seen it half a dozen times - do hopefully it's known I'm using these numbers to supplement my argument not as a basis for it.
What we saw in rounds 4 and 5 was TJ slower, more tired and less aggressively- yet he had his best rounds in terms of both total, significant strikes, and accuracy.
It's impressive to me when a fighter changes tactics in a fight and picks up scorecards because of it - and that's what we saw here
The best analogy I can make is that i thought Conor vs Diaz round 4 was (not his best round) but his most impressive, because we saw an exhausted Conor change tactics and win the round against a guy who seemed to have all the momentum.

That's the best way to show fight IQ in my opinion.

GSP is obvious answer but everyone is looking past Randy couture. He was up there for sure.

Oh and Jim Cozad, but that dude was such a badass he didn't even need to gameplan so I don't know if that counts.

http://www.fightmetric.com/fight-details/c4938baf92d2dc31

Check the stats. I hate to use them because they can be used to fit any narrative of a fight, but I absolutely love that match and have seen it half a dozen times - do hopefully it's known I'm using these numbers to supplement my argument not as a basis for it.
What we saw in rounds 4 and 5 was TJ slower, more tired and less aggressively- yet he had his best rounds in terms of both total, significant strikes, and accuracy.
It's impressive to me when a fighter changes tactics in a fight and picks up scorecards because of it - and that's what we saw here
The best analogy I can make is that i thought Conor vs Diaz round 4 was (not his best round) but his most impressive, because we saw an exhausted Conor change tactics and win the round against a guy who seemed to have all the momentum.

That's the best way to show fight IQ in my opinion.

First of, I'm going to ignore everything Conor related in your post. It's just not necessary.

Dominick Cruz beat Dillashaw by split decision (48-47, 46-49, 49-46) so I doubt we can come to a consensus as the fight is rightfully debatable. But the stats you laid out tell a different story to me. TJ got out landed in every round except the 5th. Cruz was more accurate and landed more sig. strikes. and more takedowns. I just didn't see the adjustments being made to greatly swing the fight into his favor. When I looked at both fighter faces (not just for physical damage) all I saw was perplexed Dillashaw swinging at air and another guy who was comfortably in cruise control (<cheer> I couldn't help it).

Econoreem.
Demetrious Johnson.
Cruz.
Maia.

Ben Askren is pretty smart...big fish in a small pond and what have you.

First of, I'm going to ignore everything Conor related in your post. It's just not necessary.

Dominick Cruz beat Dillashaw by split decision (48-47, 46-49, 49-46) so I doubt we can come to a consensus as the fight is rightfully debatable. But the stats you laid out tell a different story to me. TJ got out landed in every round except the 5th. Cruz was more accurate and landed more sig. strikes. and more takedowns. When I look at both fighter faces (not just for physical damage) and I see a perplexed Dillashaw swinging at air and another guy who was comfortably in cruise control (<cheer> I couldn't help it).

I'm not mad at Cruz winning that fight, or when people score it for him - it's a super close fight. I thought TJ won, but there's nothing wrong with
My point is that I thought even when tired TJ Dillashaw had his best rounds late in the fight. I think we can argue about round 5, but TJ had his best tactical performance in the 4th of that fight even when tired and in your word frustrated. When I posted the stats, I was comparing TJ's strikes late in the fight to his fights early - and that's why I was hesitant to post them, because just going off of stats gives us a flawed narrative of the fight.
Anyway, the only point I was making was that despite Cruz being lauded for his fight IQ - in that fight specifically I think TJ showed great fight IQ and awareness just as much and arguably more so than Cruz. But because Cruz is thought to be this "genius fighter" he'll get way more credit for it.

Jon Jones would have to one of the smarter fighters in the cage.

Back