The smartest fighter in the cage?

His fight IQ is pretty high. No one scores takedowns for points better than Cruz does.
No shit Cruz has great fight IQ - but there's no way he's the smartest fighter in the game, not based on his actual fights.
Not in a sport where GSP and Jon Jones exist. Not in a sport where DJ pitches a more and more dominant shut out every fight out. Not where Jose Aldo dominates an all time great in Frankie Edgar and makes it look easy.

I think he gets so much credit because far and away the best part of his game is scoring points and making it look like he's in more control than he is.

GSP, Jones, DJ, Cruz

Dumbest: Diego "rock-em sock-em" Sanchez.

Dom didn't land the better shots. I thought so too, I rewatched the fight recently at that's just not the case. Dom completely outwrestled him, and in a rematch I'd probably favor Dom - but barely over a year before that Brad Pickett completely dominated DJ, and not too long after Ian McCall probably should have gotten a win over him. Not the same dude we see dominating FW imho.

Compared to other guys considered to have great fight IQ.
You're speaking from the perspective of someone who is a fan of the dude, which is respectable and fair but at least acknowledge it.
Jorgenson and Bowles were the best available, I think most would agree that neither would be top 10 at BW today even in their prime.
Benavidez is an amazing fighter though I must say he nearly took a split against Dom- despite the fact that he was basically fighting a guy up a weight class.
DJ had been in Zuffa for a year - and fighting up a weight class.
Mizukagi is the ultimate gatekeeper.
TJ Dillishaw is a great fighter.

I look at that list, and I look at GSP or Jones' resume and my reaction? Meh.
And it's not even Dominick's fault, I'll acknowledge that - he's been out of the game for way too long
But the fact remains. Meh.

Wait, you mean despite the fact that he pretty much unanimously won the last two rounds on both media and judges scorecards? TJ slowing down and still being able to do that just speaks to him being a savvy enough fighter to make adjustments while tired - which speaks volumes.

You guys are out here pretending like Dom just showcases absolute dominance over elite fighters fight in and fight out. He doesn't,
He's completely shut down Faber (the third time because the second fight was close), Mizugaki, Jorgenson and Bowles - and I guess Joey B the first time around
DJ despite being green gave it to him the first time around, great performance from Dom to overcome that
Benavidez almost took a win off of him, I personally thought the fight was a draw
TJ almost took a win off him, fans and media I think were pretty split
And these are the three best names on his resume

It's not like when he fought the Benavidez rematch he showed massive improvements against the dude.

Really? Best fight IQ ever? Whether or not it's true, there's no proof for it.
Dominick's best in fight quality is making it look like he's winning exchanges even when he's not, if that's what you consider to be GOAT fight IQ then we'll have to agree to disagree.
His biggest strength outside the cage? Making fans believe he's better than he is.
Injuries aside, dude belongs on the mount rushmore of the lighterweight classes right now, especially given his history
But c'mon son, best fight IQ ever? Don't gimme that. I'm looking at GSP shutting out all comers, and Jones schooling elite fighter after elite fighter with brilliant tactics. I'm looking at DJ constantly making improvements dominating rematches with dudes that gave it to him the first time around.
Come back when you shut down an elite fighter bantamweight fighter in his prime.
My main response to this: If Dom didn't land the better shots on Johnson then they equally landed good shots. & that second Benavidez fight was not close. It was a clear 49-46 with bad judging. Dom first four, Joe five. Kind of similar to the second Faber fight...bad judging but clear 49-46 at the least. 50-45 depending on how you saw RD4.

But back on point, i'm not exactly saying Dom is hands down number one. I think it's him or GSP. Even Dom himself has said his gameplans usually go out the window within the first minute & a half where as GSP obviously stayed on track through out his fights. So it's which ever you feel is more impressive. The ability to adapt & remain dominant or by doing it while staying focused on exactly what you need to do to win.

Casting my vote for Maia for the smartest.

Dumbest--Martin Kampmann...

My main response to this: If Dom didn't land the better shots on Johnson then they equally landed good shots. & that second Benavidez fight was not close. It was a clear 49-46 with bad judging. Dom first four, Joe five. Kind of similar to the second Faber fight...bad judging but clear 49-46 at the least. 50-45 depending on how you saw RD4.

But back on point, i'm not exactly saying Dom is hands down number one. I think it's him or GSP. Even Dom himself has said his gameplans usually go out the window within the first minute & a half where as GSP obviously stayed on track through out his fights. So it's which ever you feel is more impressive. The ability to adapt & remain dominant or by doing it while staying focused on exactly what you need to do to win.
We'll have to agree to disagree. It comes down to how we define fight IQ. Cruz might be the best in the sport at outpointing fighters, and that's a great quality. I don't mean that to say that he doesn't move to finish fights, and its's not a bad thing - but I think that's the great quality of his game, is to know perfectly well how to play the game. He convinces fans and judges that he's doing more, the other guy is doing less, that shots aren't hurting, that he's not tired - and it's pretty cool to watch. He's crafty as fuck.

But that's not what I really consider the greatest use of fight IQ. Great fight IQ to me has more to do with how to actually dominate the other dude, I view it as the ability to impose your tactics on the other guy in a way that you shutout the other guy ie. You stop him from doing what he wants to do for the majority of a fight while imposing your well.

I'm not mad at Cruz winning that fight, or when people score it for him - it's a super close fight. I thought TJ won, but there's nothing wrong with
My point is that I thought even when tired TJ Dillashaw had his best rounds late in the fight. I think we can argue about round 5, but TJ had his best tactical performance in the 4th of that fight even when tired and in your word frustrated. When I posted the stats, I was comparing TJ's strikes late in the fight to his fights early - and that's why I was hesitant to post them, because just going off of stats gives us a flawed narrative of the fight.
Anyway, the only point I was making was that despite Cruz being lauded for his fight IQ - in that fight specifically I think TJ showed great fight IQ and awareness just as much and arguably more so than Cruz. But because Cruz is thought to be this "genius fighter" he'll get way more credit for it.

I have no issue with you thinking TJ won or how you score the fight. He may have had his best tactical performance in the 4th, but I would still argue that it was not the greatest tactic. I just don't think TJ showed great fight IQ and awareness in that fight. I don't know how he beats Cruz, but I think it starts with better decisions with his movement not being so flat when he chooses to stike and being first to pressure with takedown attempts.

TO THE REMATCH
giphy.gif

I have no issue with you thinking TJ won or how you score the fight. He may have had his best tactical performance in the 4th, but I would still argue that it was not the greatest tactic. I just don't think TJ showed great fight IQ and awareness in that fight. I don't know how he beats Cruz, but I think it starts with better decisions with his movement not being so flat when he chooses to stike and being first to pressure with takedown attempts.

TO THE REMATCH
giphy.gif

200.gif

Gurgel? You know it is true when a random name like that comes up. I always saw that guy trying to "bang" and never understood it.

I got that weird "Rogan MMA brain" where i pull random thoughts like that haha

I've been addicted to this highlight breakdown for months now. Watching them break down Askrens top game makes me appreciate his intelligence even more. The way he goads his opponent into working and exerting energy while he just glides from position to position effortlessly and sprinkles some baby punches throughout is a true thing of beauty.

Cruz, silva, GSP, that is a common trait for the GOATS

Even though he had a lot of success, jones probably has the lowest in cage smarts. He would intentionally play in favor of his opponents strengths. Like he wrestled DC and struck with machida. The roids got it done though.

Smartest: Cruz (aside from the cody fight), Gsp, Mighty Mouse

Dumbest: probably Palhares

Anderson. He gives his fans countless excuses for his shortcomings

Back