The Star Trek Thread, V5.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was Trek always such an SJW fest?
No, but it was always closely following the social movements. They got big response when they cast a female as lead Captain in Voyager, as they did when they cast an African American as the leading character and Commander of DS9. They were already ahead of the time in TOS with the multicultural crew and they kept setting precedents.

SJW is the new thing so it's normal Star Trek is abiding. It makes the episodes hard to watch, I don't know why I keep expecting the next episodes after hating every episode while watching...

Was Trek always such an SJW fest?

Why is she helping the evil Asian chick who Fed her bits of another race just last episode? You know the woman who literally blew up a load of refugees only 2 episodes ago?

Lorca was the only good thing on this show
Because ultimately Lorca was the worse person. I figured he would be a rebellion leader wanting a less oppressive regime, but it turns out he was much worse. Wanted them to be even more extreme and xenophobic. She knew she had to team up to save the Discovery. Grabbing her at the end was a bit questionable.

not even close

ebzovlakr8bjfit5clah.jpg

IMO Voyager is one of the worst 1st seasons. It started off with great promise, but the production was a mess and they never stuck with a plot line. Mashing a Federation and Maqui crew together...Great idea, think of the drama, and tensions between the crews.. Largely abandoned after a few episodes. That same issue plagued the series through its entire run.

Voyager did have some incredible story arcs, some of the best in trek, but it had the absolute worse filler episodes, and it had a lot of them.

IMO Voyager is one of the worst 1st seasons. It started off with great promise, but the production was a mess and they never stuck with a plot line. Mashing a Federation and Maqui crew together...Great idea, think of the drama, and tensions between the crews.. Largely abandoned after a few episodes. That same issue plagued the series through its entire run.

well yeah, no point in fake animosity when you are stuck on the other end of the galaxy - it becomes pointless when you are so far away from everything you know

Voyager did have some incredible story arcs, some of the best in trek, but it had the absolute worse filler episodes, and it had a lot of them.

as is the star trek way
oh and TNG / DS9 had the worst filler episodes (not just when it comes to star trek, but when it comes to TV in general) - most of the love stories were pure cringe

voyager had the largest amount of truly interesting episodes, followed by TNG
rest of the star trek series mostly had bunch of uninteresting shit in it that did not expand on the trek universe in any meaningful way (or if it did, it did so in a stupid way)

Because ultimately Lorca was the worse person. I figured he would be a rebellion leader wanting a less oppressive regime, but it turns out he was much worse. Wanted them to be even more extreme and xenophobic. She knew she had to team up to save the Discovery. Grabbing her at the end was a bit questionable.

Was he really much worse? I mean she was literally exterminating a whole planet of refugees and feeding Burnham bits of other races. Just seems weird to me the big evil guy suddenly turned out to be a white male.. Meanwhile on the ship the rest of the crew is either female.. or a minority.. and the only white guy left is gay..

This whole thing they were pushing with the terran empire wreaked of sjw bullshit tbh..

I sound kind of paranoid but seeing the likes of CNN pushing even cuckolding now.. can you blame me

well yeah, no point in fake animosity when you are stuck on the other end of the galaxy - it becomes pointless when you are so far away from everything you know

as is the star trek way
oh and TNG / DS9 had the worst filler episodes (not just when it comes to star trek, but when it comes to TV in general) - most of the love stories were pure cringe

voyager had the largest amount of truly interesting episodes, followed by TNG
rest of the star trek series mostly had bunch of uninteresting shit in it that did not expand on the trek universe in any meaningful way (or if it did, it did so in a stupid way)
They just built up such a cool story line with the Maqui in DS9, and it just was wasted after a few episodes. Sure every once in a while it would come up, but even the writers say they regret not sticking with story arcs longer. Year of Hell was on TV the other day, and that was a great 2 parter, but as a whole I think Voyager suffered from franchise fatigue. The had TNG films, DS9, and Voyager all filming at the same time, and the TV series we each doing about 25 episodes a year, which is crazy these days. Voyager in particular had a hard time keeping a stable writing team, until season 4ish.

Was he really much worse? I mean she was literally exterminating a whole planet of refugees and feeding Burnham bits of other races. Just seems weird to me the big evil guy suddenly turned out to be a white male.. Meanwhile on the ship the rest of the crew is either female.. or a minority.. and the only white guy left is gay..

This whole thing they were pushing with the terran empire wreaked of sjw bullshit tbh..

I sound kind of paranoid but seeing the likes of CNN pushing even cuckolding now.. can you blame me
The Terran Empire has been in trek since TOS. I figured Lorca wanted to be a different kind if leader, but after freeing his crew, he reveled that he wanted more oppression, and the emperor had become to weak, and letting transgressions take place on the boarders(they said it was taking cues from Trump). And the fact that Lorca had groomed and raised his adopted daughter, to be his mistress.

I honestly don't see all the SJW stuff. Its Star Trek.... And technically the new captain is a white male. Which by the way, Saru has made the biggest transformation this season, and he was badass this week as captain. I hope he get command of the ship in Season 2.

Cool Interview with Jason Issacs about his time with Trek and what he wanted to do with Lorca

http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/star-trek-discovery-lorca-jason-isaacs-1202682156/

star-trek-discovery2.jpg

CREDIT: BEN MARK HOLZBERG
SPOILER ALERT: Do not read if you have not watched “Star Trek: Discovery” episode 13, “What’s Past is Prologue.”

Since his first appearance in the third episode of “Star Trek: Discovery,” Jason Isaacs’ Capt. Gabriel Lorca has been up to something. One doesn’t keep a menageries of deadly aliens, sleep with a superior officer then leave her captive on an enemy ship, and use all that Visine without some sort of nefarious endgame in mind.

In Sunday’s episode, “What’s Past is Prologue,” viewers saw that endgame play out and almost break in Lorca’s favor. But a sword through the back spoiled any chance that Lorca, revealed a week earlier to be a Mirror Universe doppelganger who secretly claimed the identity of his prime-universe counterpart, had of claiming the throne of the Terran Empire — and of continuing to live. Isaacs spoke to Variety about the dramatic demise of Discovery’s captain.

When did you first learn about Lorca’s true origin?
When I took the job. I knew everything before we started. There was some idea of him being from the mirror world, and I said, “Okay, what’s his plan?” And they said “We’re not exactly sure. And I said, “When we’re really sure what he wants to do and why he’s doing it, then I’m in.” And we all huddled together and came up with a plan and pretty much stuck to it, and then I had something to do all season. It was incredibly delicious for me to get to drop these little Easter eggs and hints.

RELATED
'Star Trek: Discovery' Star Shazad Latif Talks Tyler's Big Reveal
'Star Trek: Discovery' Showrunners: Death 'Is Not an Ending'

Was Lorca always trying to get back to the Mirror Universe or did he ever think of carving out a place in the world he found himself in?
Not for a nanosecond. It was always about what could he do to get back. He didn’t know how he got there [to the prime universe]. It was an accident, an anomaly. He’s needed to find some sort of methodology [to return home], and that’s what the spore drive gave him, so that’s why he was pushing so hard for that. And he knew that even if he got back to that world, it was full of Georgiou and her troops, so he needed some way in. Burnham was going to be his in.

Was his interest in Burnham just to use her as a tool to get to Georgiou or was it that he was attracted to her?
It’s twofold. It was 99% “She is the tool by which I will pry open the locked doors and gain access to the Emperor.” Without Burnham, he would just be killed if he reappeared. So he needed Burnham. And not only did he need her, he needed to win her over and make her feel like he was her best friend in the world and her confessor and she could trust him and possibly have faith in him beyond any of her training. And at the same time, in the back of his head, less important, was the idea that if he could gain the throne, she might rule alongside him.

Lorca is revealed to be someone who is pretty racist …
That’s absolutely right. The Terran world, unlike the original incarnations of the Mirror Universe where they were just a kind of one-dimensional evil, this is a world that is not very far from our very own. We could all wake up and be mirror versions of ourselves any day. It’s a very Darwinian world, and a world that from Lorca’s point of view and for millions of people with his point of view, where assimilation is a bad thing and there’s a natural hierarchy of racists. To disrespect that is to sow chaos and anarchy, and lying is a perfectly reasonable technique to get what you want. Sadly, I don’t think we need to look very far to find those these reflected in our headlines every day.

Was it important to you that his thinking be rooted in something and that he not just be a mustache-twirling villain?
Yeah, I wouldn’t have taken the job. But luckily it was important to everyone. I had no interest in playing a mustache-twirling villain and they had no interest in creating one. When we got to the mirror world, it was very important to me that the dialogue feel like it was in many ways ripped from the headlines. It’s no coincidence that I’m exhorting my followers to make the Empire great again.

‘Star Trek’ has always had a socially progressive element to it. Were you surprised or pleased as the season played out to see just how much the the writers dug in on fairly complicated ideas about racism?
One of the great skills of the writers is that it’s never about those things. It’s about the plot. Incidentally you’re looking at a fully ethnically inclusive crew and gay couples and straight couples. It’s a future which is inclusive. But that’s never front and center in the story. What surprised me, given that I know the huge, incredibly welcoming reception that the show’s had from “Star Trek” fans, is the people who, online at least, pretended to be “Star Trek” fans to attack it on racist lines. People would be coming out from where they should be hiding in the shadows to say the most racist things, all sorts of white supremacists and haters, feigning the mask of “Star Trek” supporters, attacking it for the very things that “Star Trek” has always stood for — which makes them look, frankly, ridiculous.

Practically, for Lorca, who is someone who has presumably eaten Kelpians before and is now serving alongside one …
I have to tell you, they’re delicious. I like them raw.

… how uncomfortable does that make him?
The question I had is, ‘Am I getting affected by these people around me? At any point would I be sentimentally attached to them? He’s still human and he’s still forming real relationships. But he has these beliefs in a hierarchy, a strict kind of totem-pole, and he knows that, as far as he’s concerned, he’s higher up. He’s like those people who say “I’m not racist, I have a black friend,” or, “I’m not a homophobe, there’s that gay guy in accounts.” He has a view of the world that to me is repulsive but to him is consistent. He’s perfectly able to incorporate the complexity of, “You know, Saru’s a good officer, but when it comes to it, I’d grill him. Or maybe I’d fry him with some garlic.”

Did you have a favorite scene or favorite moment from shooting this season?
Any time you’re on the bridge, all my favorite people are there. There’s the audience’s experience and there’s the actor’s experience. My experience was that I made some very good friends, people I adored — people of all ages, people who had just left Juilliard and people who have been around forever. We all bonded in ways that I didn’t expect. So I liked it when we were all together, and we were all together on the bridge. And fighting Michelle Yeoh. Who wouldn’t want to fight one of the great martial arts legends of all time? I say “fighting,” but I mean trying desperately to keep up with a woman who can move a thousand times quicker than me as I’m slogging through like some drunken hippo.

This being “Star Trek,” there are any number of ways that we could see you return. Would you come back and do the show again if asked?
I said yes to a fantastic story. You never quite know with television because it’s written week by week. I thought the writers really delivered a fabulous, interesting story, and for me as an actor, I had just a banquet every scene. If they came up with a great story, I would be all ears.

Whatever potential this series generated they have squandered completely.
Star Trek Discovery: “I’ve made a lot of bad emotional choices”
Phenomenal piece summarizing how this series has been crippled by what I call the "comic book effect": death doesn't matter, authorial decisions are never truly final, there are no limits, and thus nothing means anything.

It's too bad after such a promising (if not at all "Trekkian") start. I've been so f**king bored watching the last two episodes. I've been bored with Tyler since Day 1. Awful, uninteresting character, and an even less interesting and dynamic actor. Every one of his scenes and subplots has been excruciatingly tedious.

I can barely suffer the show, at all, at this point.

Whatever potential this series generated they have squandered completely.
Star Trek Discovery: “I’ve made a lot of bad emotional choices”
Phenomenal piece summarizing how this series has been crippled by what I call the "comic book effect": death doesn't matter, authorial decisions are never truly final, there are no limits, and thus nothing means anything.

It's too bad after such a promising (if not at all "Trekkian") start. I've been so f**king bored watching the last two episodes. I've been bored with Tyler since Day 1. Awful, uninteresting character, and an even less interesting and dynamic actor. Every one of his scenes and subplots has been excruciatingly tedious.

I can barely suffer the show, at all, at this point.
I am wondering what the hell they will do with him. Even though his secret was figured out by fans months ago, I thought his reveal was still pretty cool, and what happened with him and Burnham in the mirror universe.

We have the Season 1 finale on Sunday so they have quite a few loose end to tie up. They claimed the war would be resolved in season 1, but I'm sure there will be some sort of cliffhanger.

Season 2 is set to Start filming in early April. Writers started on the new season starting in Mid January.

The action is not that good, sometimes laughable, but I love this show. I don't have a lot of expectations going in each episode and don't really try to heavily dissect or guess what's going to happen, so I just take each episode as it is. I love the Ash reveal (way darker than what I was expecting), the shocking Lorca twist, Saru's leadership role and now Georgiou back as captain for Discovery (really thought she'd die in the alternate universe).

The action is not that good, sometimes laughable, but I love this show. I don't have a lot of expectations going in each episode and don't really try to heavily dissect or guess what's going to happen, so I just take each episode as it is. I love the Ash reveal (way darker than what I was expecting), the shocking Lorca twist, Saru's leadership role and now Georgiou back as captain for Discovery (really thought she'd die in the alternate universe).
The soap opera defense.

The show sucks, Dragon, with Saru the only good thing left. That actor and character are tremendous.

I'm with @Dragonlordxxxxx I like this show for some reason. I could do without the SJW stuff but I'm not that sensitive, I can get over it.

I agree with pretty much everything you said. This is a pretty impressive first season for a show, and outstanding for the first season of a star trek series. It's all the more surprising when considering the absolute nightmare they had production wise early on. I am curious to see how much losing Bryan Fuller effected the show. The guy is a brillant writer and show creator, but it was just announced he has left another show he was showrunning. In 2 short years he has started and left Star Trek Discovery, American Gods, and now Amazing Stories. I was crushed when he left the show, but I am now wondering if he is just difficult to work with.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/02/07/apple-amazing-stories-showrunner-departs/

I agree with pretty much everything you said. This is a pretty impressive first season for a show, and outstanding for the first season of a star trek series. It's all the more surprising when considering the absolute nightmare they had production wise early on. I am curious to see how much losing Bryan Fuller effected the show. The guy is a brillant writer and show creator, but it was just announced he has left another show he was showrunning. In 2 short years he has started and left Star Trek Discovery, American Gods, and now Amazing Stories. I was crushed when he left the show, but I am now wondering if he is just difficult to work with.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/02/07/apple-amazing-stories-showrunner-departs/
I'm not a big fan of Bryan Fuller especially after his work on American Gods which is just a retread of what he did in Hannibal. He gave American Gods a more depressing vibe than it needed to be.

How the hell Discovery has high ratings is beyond me. The show is pure garbage.

The characters are fucking awful and boring. Burnham is just a trainwreck, constantly transitioning from one stereotype to the next. The security guy and his whole story is rubbish. The gay doctor is obnoxious. Even damn Tilly is grating.

Production wise, sometimes it's alright, but a lot of the time the camera angles and editing and just overall set design makes it feel like some B-Grade fan bullshit.

At it's core, the writing is the problem. The story just really isn't interesting, most episodes are oddly paced and just don't do much.

I stopped at episode 13 I think it was where Lorca is taking over the Terran's in the Mirror Universe. Lol @ the two sides just shooting at each other from point blank range in that hallway and hardly taking cover. Shit just looked ridiculous and totally rushed.

Got to that part where Lorca makes out like he's going to kill Mirror Gay Doctor by throwing him into the reactor or whatever and then he's like, "nah, just kidding bro" and has him vaporized in the back. What the fuck was that shit? Felt so corny.

It also felt like they just forgot about the Security guy who has the personality of a Klingon or whatever at this point.

How the hell Discovery has high ratings is beyond me. The show is pure garbage.

The characters are fucking awful and boring. Burnham is just a trainwreck, constantly transitioning from one stereotype to the next. The security guy and his whole story is rubbish. The gay doctor is obnoxious. Even damn Tilly is grating.

Production wise, sometimes it's alright, but a lot of the time the camera angles and editing and just overall set design makes it feel like some B-Grade fan bullshit.

At it's core, the writing is the problem. The story just really isn't interesting, most episodes are oddly paced and just don't do much.

I stopped at episode 13 I think it was where Lorca is taking over the Terran's in the Mirror Universe. Lol @ the two sides just shooting at each other from point blank range in that hallway and hardly taking cover. Shit just looked ridiculous and totally rushed.

Got to that part where Lorca makes out like he's going to kill Mirror Gay Doctor by throwing him into the reactor or whatever and then he's like, "nah, just kidding bro" and has him vaporized in the back. What the fuck was that shit? Felt so corny.

It also felt like they just forgot about the Security guy who has the personality of a Klingon or whatever at this point.
You stopped watching at episodes 13 because they they didn't throw "Mirror Gay Doctor" into the reactor and shot him in the back?

Just finished the season finale. Overall I would give season 1 a 8/10. I didn't care for the Orions in the episode. The females looked the same, but the males, were just normal looking guys painted light green. I loved the look they set up in ENT, big bald mean looking males, small sexy females. The creepy looking, drug using Orion was played by non other than Clint Howard, who has played several characters in trek since TOS
C94FA7KWAAATGCM.jpg

They end up concluding the Klingon war arc, and was nice to see the seen at the end at the federation council. We also close with Discovery responding to a distress call from

DVzNhFYWAAAIcQ0.jpg:large

Some things they need to work on for Season 2

Develop the crew. So much was in flux due to war, I really think they need to get into everyone's backstory, and learn more about the bridge crew

Federation. Explore more about the inner workings of the Federation. When ENT went off the air, The Federation was just being formed, and we had yet to see star fleet. I want to see the Federation at work, and maybe the introductions of species we see in TNG first gainging admission into the Federation.

Connect to TOS canon. They have stated, as the show goes, they will be connecting more things to the TOS era, and they need to do that for the old time fans. The new ships designs , and updated look didn't bother me, its 2018, not the 60s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back