The Star Trek Thread, V5.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
The action is not that good, sometimes laughable, but I love this show. I don't have a lot of expectations going in each episode and don't really try to heavily dissect or guess what's going to happen, so I just take each episode as it is. I love the Ash reveal (way darker than what I was expecting), the shocking Lorca twist, Saru's leadership role and now Georgiou back as captain for Discovery (really thought she'd die in the alternate universe).
Personally, I never imagined there'd be a teevee ST that I couldn't get into at all, but here we are.
Though I almost feel like this is ST in name only.

Kind of a nut punch

You stopped watching at episodes 13 because they they didn't throw "Mirror Gay Doctor" into the reactor and shot him in the back?

That scene was just stupid, sloppy and corny. It just summed the whole show up for me.

That scene was just stupid, sloppy and corny. It just summed the whole show up for me.
I'm just laughing at your characterization of Lt. Staments, the ships Engineer, as "Mirror Gay Doctor". Made me laugh

On after Trek they were promoting these new models coming out from prop company Anovos. Its a incredible looking model, and I considered dropping a few hundred on it, but then I looked at the price

dsc-1031-right-under-style-full_grande.png

dsc-1031-primary-hull-feature_grande.png

dsc-1031-starboard-with-exposed-nacelle_grande.png

For only the meager price of $9000!!!!!

Now its a high quality filming miniature, thats fully lit and almost 4 feet long, but that seems crazy. Although I just checked and the first wave of pre orders is sold out, so maybe I just have no idea what the filming miniature market is like

https://www.anovos.com/collections/...y-crossfield-class-starship-filming-miniature

This show is very modern...( straight)white males does not exist in the future , the human race consist in mixed race transexual ( not only the female main character has a male name but the other women , the captain and the admiral , are played by real life transwomen or women that looks like tranny).
Other males are gay or shameless criying like sissies.
Plus: green space gypsians, literally. The klingon (?) woman rides the transpecies guy , the tranny looking asian captain impales the only ( vagualy) mainly character ( that is baaad) from behind with a spear and kills him. All the semeiotics is about trans and homosexuality.
Random absurdities like spore engine, klingons being hideous ogrish monsters, the campy appereance of the Mudd character and other out of contest easter eggs. The lanky edible character is well played but c'mon it is out of context in a star trek serial.
Amazingly they set the timeline at the age of the first episode, there is Sarek too , he is the adoptive father of black female/male protagonist and unlike the late Mark Lenard he looks a total pansy , too.

fixed

Last edited:
I enjoyed the whole season. The first 2 episodes were a bit rocky to get through, specially with Michael not being exactly the most likable of characters (but that was obviously intentional in retrospect). However, I am glad I kept watching. I like the twist with Lorca and although Ash is not that engaging of a character by himself, that story surrounding him was surprising and kind of messed up (in a good way). I like this new serial format since you can get invested more on the characters. Lorca's twist would not have had the same impact had that been all covered in just one episode. I was very surprised I ended up being as invested on this as I did. I grew up with Next Generation, watched Voyager and DS9 sporadically (nothing to do with the quality of both series, just my schedule at the time) and missed out on Enterprise outside of 2 or 3 episodes (again, just life getting on the way). I am actually looking forward to Season 2.

This show is very modern...( straight)white males does not exist in the future , the human race consist in mixed race transexual ( not only the female main character has a male name but the other women , the captain and the admiral , are played by real life transwomen or women that looks like tranny).
Other males are gay or shameless criying like sissies.
Plus: green space gypsians, literally. The klingon (?) woman rides the transpecies guy , the tranny looking asian captain impales the only ( vagualy) mainly character ( that is baaad) from behind with a spear and kills him. All the semeiotics is about trans and homosexuality.
Random absurdities like spore engine, klingons being hideous ogrish monsters, the campy appereance of the Mudd character and other out of contest easter eggs. The lanky edible character is well played but c'mon it is out of contest in a star trek serial.
Amazingly they set the timeline at the age of the first episode, there is Sarek too , he is the adoptive father of black female/male protagonist and unlike the late Mark Lenard he looks a total pansy , too.
Context, not contest.

Discovery dominated in its season finale, for digital expressions. Digital expressions, are the new rating system being used, that reviews internet searches, and social media comments, to figure out how many people are talking about and viewing content. Its doing just as well in international numbers as well.

For anyone who wants to check out Discovery for free, you can get CBS all access for free for one week. Binge watch it for free. All Access went from around 1 million users in the fall, to over 5 million as of last week. I would be curious to see how many people a dropping the subscription after Discovery, I am going to cancel at the end of the month.

28056243_10160092293985008_7765677900601323102_n.jpg

the evil ( almost ) white captain being deadly impalate by an asian character that looks like a tranny
Image-Lorca-sword-bye-bye.png

The klingon male cry as a sissy
tumblr_p0r2xflbd71wq1goio2_540.gif

the new Sarek looks very cutesy , very different from Mark Lenard.
sarek-1280-720x405.jpg

all visual things in this new series are carefully planned, despite the effort the whole series is not less stupid that the old
one with the captain who looked as Bush jr

Really was digging the show for the first few episodes and the mid-season finale.

the 2nd half of the 1st season completely lost me.. got to be extremely cheesy with terrible build up. I stopped watching, unfortunately. Really wanted to like this, too.

The latest digital expression ratings. Discovery leads in both over the air and streaming digital expressions. Digital expressions is the new way, TV ratings are gaged, which takes analytical data from social media devices and internet searches.

The old rating systems like Nielsen, have been increasingly unreliable, as it requires a special meter to be connected to your tv, or entering your viewing in a journal.

Very much like Black Mirror to me. Brilliant episodes followed by weak ones.

I'm enjoying it overall.

Though Mike is the least Vulcan half-Vulcan ever.

Very much like Black Mirror to me. Brilliant episodes followed by weak ones.

I'm enjoying it overall.

Though Mike is the least Vulcan half-Vulcan ever.
They were really playing that up in the first few episodes, but later on she became less robotic. Have to remember she is not a Vulcan, she's 100% Human. Sarek is just a domineering father.

Not really sure what the deal is with this show. On one hand it's not really Star Trek, and kind of ham handedly tackles the social, philosophical and moral topics previous series were so adept at. But on the other hand its fast paced and feels new and fresh and not bound by the Trek formula which in a lot of ways had grown stale.

I guess my problem is, as well as changing a lot of things that were due, they changed a lot of things that they didn't need to. So I guess I'll stick around to see whether they right the ship, so to speak. But the first seasons are usually rocky before the shows find their feet, so that's encouraging.

They were really playing that up in the first few episodes, but later on she became less robotic. Have to remember she is not a Vulcan, she's 100% Human. Sarek is just a domineering father.

Good point. Forgot about that.

(She looks kinda Vulcan, and by that I mean, Kirsty Alley when she was young and smoking hot, hot.)

Not really sure what the deal is with this show. On one hand it's not really Star Trek, and kind of ham handedly tackles the social, philosophical and moral topics previous series were so adept at. But on the other hand its fast paced and feels new and fresh and not bound by the Trek formula which in a lot of ways had grown stale.

I guess my problem is, as well as changing a lot of things that were due, they changed a lot of things that they didn't need to. So I guess I'll stick around to see whether they right the ship, so to speak. But the first seasons are usually rocky before the shows find their feet, so that's encouraging.
I felt it got more "Star Trek Like" as the season went on. They said from the beginning that this season would find the Federation in Chaos and in war. I think season 2 will explore about the the core crew, and get back to a more traditional exploration type mission. Producers have said season 2 will focus more on the Federation, and sort of deal with federation values, religion, politics, ect....

"It's like Battlestar Galactica with a coat of Star Trek paint."

"Star Trek used to be about a set of ideals. Now it's names you know and places you know where people can shoot at each other."

"Fartbar."

If anyone wants to check out Discovery or CBS all access for free, here's a code for a free month.

STREAMNOW

Pre Production on season 2 has already began. They start shooting season 2 in mid April

https://slickdeals.net/share/android_app/t/11397699

All seven seasons of TNG in fully restored HD for $69 shipped from Amazon UK. That's the price shipped to North America. If you've never seen the TNG Blu rays, they are one of the greatest HD restoration projects even undertaken. It has around 200 hours of content with all the episodes and specials content. Worth way more than $70. It was a actually $70 per season when they they were new, so this is a great deal. More people who buy these, the more likely we are to get DS9 and VOY in HD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back