The story of the 5'7 Sumo wrestler who had height increasing surgery

Never seen such leverage, or a Japanese crowd being so noisy, they were almost rioting in some of those!

Awesome TS, thanks a lot. Loved watching this guy.

Man that brings back memories. I used to watch Sumo during this era. My favs were Takanohana, Wakanohana, and Mainoumi.

Make no mistake, Mainoumi was not a dominant champ or anything. He was like the Mugsy Bogues of Sumo. Where everyone was just so surprised that he was even competitive despite that size disadvantage, that they loved him.

In most tournaments I saw he had a losing record, but the 3 or 4 wins that he got were always vs bigger opponents, because every opponent was bigger. He couldn't outmuscle anyone, so he had to rely on speed, technique, and heart.

Mostly he beat cans, lost to cans, and almost always lost to upper tier guys. But every once in a while, he'd pull out a massive upset and beat a grand champion. I remember jumping off my couch when he'd beat Akebono or Musashimaru. It was like the equivalent of Mighty Mouse beating Jon Jones.

Never seen such leverage, or a Japanese crowd being so noisy, they were almost rioting in some of those!

Awesome TS, thanks a lot. Loved watching this guy.

thats awesome, thanks man

Back