The striking of a grappler

DatCutman

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
The rules are simple; if any part of your body other than the bottom of your foot, you lose; you step outside of the ring, you lose. This has lead to a wide variety of strategies and tactics, from forcefully pushing someone out, throwing them to the ground, pushing, or even using the harite or palm strike. I've always been enthralled by Sumo; namely as its one of the few wrestling sports to allow for open hand striking. Combine the open weight class dynamic of sumo, and it can lead to some pretty amazing matches. One of my personal favorites is this man, Kyokudozan.

For the people with the advanced strikers eye, what is Kyokudozan doing that is so effective? It seems like there's a lot of shovel hooks (palms?) coming up at angles, but I've always been more of a grappler than a striker, so the reason for his success eludes me. Not that I'd do this without warning my sumo training partners first, I'd like to add this skill to my skillset. Thanks for any guidance y'all can give.

The rules are simple; if any part of your body other than the bottom of your foot, you lose; you step outside of the ring, you lose. This has lead to a wide variety of strategies and tactics, from forcefully pushing someone out, throwing them to the ground, pushing, or even using the harite or palm strike. I've always been enthralled by Sumo; namely as its one of the few wrestling sports to allow for open hand striking. Combine the open weight class dynamic of sumo, and it can lead to some pretty amazing matches. One of my personal favorites is this man, Kyokudozan.

For the people with the advanced strikers eye, what is Kyokudozan doing that is so effective? It seems like there's a lot of shovel hooks (palms?) coming up at angles, but I've always been more of a grappler than a striker, so the reason for his success eludes me. Not that I'd do this without warning my sumo training partners first, I'd like to add this skill to my skillset. Thanks for any guidance y'all can give.

He's fucking them up. He's not even grappling, he just hits them right on the jaw when they charge at him, and they charge at him every time! lol

He’s undersized so he uses angles and quickness. Looks like the ultimate bitch slap to me

He's basically putting his weight into a palm heel strike - with the flat lower part of the hand. It's usually called teisho uchi in Karate. If you want to look that up.

It's pretty much the exact same technique that Bas Rutten made use of in Pancrase - he too knocked a lot of people out with it.

He's throwing those palm heels strikes outside of his opponents periphery by throwing from an upward trajectory. He's also putting a lot of his bodyweight behind each strike. He's also moving off angle laterally to hide some of those shots coming in.

The best way he uses it imo is at the beginning of the match. Reason being it's a lot easier to get that shot in when your opponent is static. You also have the added benefit of your acceleration and your opponent's acceleration into your shot. There's also the element of surprise when your both static - sometimes you won't have that element of surprise if your opponent is expecting but there will be occasions when you're opponent won't expect it.

Trick is probably not to overuse it or if you do blend it in with multiple attacks like Kyokudozan is doing.

I'd imagine it would probably be a great technique to use in Sumo if you are leaner or quicker than your opponent.

He’s smashing grapplers in the face, of course it works

He’s smashing grapplers in the face, of course it works

Really :rolleyes: Some rikishi have quite deadly stand up attacks its just that there are different styles which makes it such a fantastic martial art. There are close to pure striking experts. Hakuho has more than once one ko`d opponents with ellbows or a slap and rikishi are crazy tough.

I prefer the smaller (well still above 140kg) creative fighters. My favourites are Yoshikaze and Shohozan. These two really are in my alltime list of favourite martial artists and its mindblowing how fast, diverse and strong their game is.

He's fucking them up. He's not even grappling, he just hits them right on the jaw when they charge at him, and they charge at him every time! lol
Sumo McGoat!!

nice style. hits straighter than most mma fighters and some boxers (keith thurman)

I have often thought that the athleticism of Sumo wrestlers was under rated. I would love to see a Sumo with some Wing Chun flurried chain-punches in the UFC.

I have often thought that the athleticism of Sumo wrestlers was under rated. I would love to see a Sumo with some Wing Chun flurried chain-punches in the UFC.
Speed boy UFC debut?

Back