The Tesla Vigilante

POWER2

My name is Power²
@Silver
Reaction score

Rich is a car enthusiast whose passion is to find wrecked Teslas, bring them back to life, and then share his repair adventures on his YouTube channel Rich Rebuilds.

When he found out that Tesla would not service or support his salvaged cars, he took it upon himself to scour the internet and harvest working parts from several busted Teslas. He Frankensteined them together until his creations were fully operational, at a fraction of what it would cost to buy a new or certified pre-owned Tesla.

Motherboard travels to Massachusetts to meet with the rogue mechanic leading a grassroots movement of DIY fixers who are taking back the right to repair the things they own.

Check out Rich's YouTube channel: https://bit.ly/2BAD9Uc

I watch his videos sometimes, funny dude and interesting topic.

Cool project, lame attitude.
Attitude? This man taught HIMSELF how to take apart and put together one of the most advanced electric cars on Earth, while working a full-time job and being a husband and father.

And he is challenging an environment at Tesla, which began at companies like Apple, where they PRETEND to put consumer needs first, actually want to monopolize your experience by overcharging for work, forcing you discard products that can be fixed on this case, simply pretending that salvaged cars haven't been a part of life for over 150 years.

I imagine he gets more done in a day than you get done in a year. You'd be lucky if he let you sit in the garage and pour him Gatorade on hot afternoons. This man is a genius.

Smart dude. I could see him getting some air time on one of the networks.

Attitude? This man taught HIMSELF how to take apart and put together one of the most advanced electric cars on Earth, while working a full-time job and being a husband and father.

I imagine he gets more done in a day than you get done in a year. You'd be lucky if he let you sit in the garage and pour him Gatorade on hot afternoons. This man is a genius.
As I said, the project is really cool. Lame attitude for complaining about Tesla's policies though. Running a car industry start-up is a very thin line. There's a ton of stuff they need to figure out right now to survive while keeping the company lean. Last thing they need to worry about is diy people, as the product is obviously not marketed for them.

What an interesting chap, gonna have to watch some of his Youtube vids.

Thanks for sharing.

As I said, the project is really cool. Lame attitude for complaining about Tesla's policies though. Running a car industry start-up is a very thin line. There's a ton of stuff they need to figure out right now to survive while keeping the company lean. Last thing they need to worry about is diy people, as the product is obviously not marketed for them.
Running a start-up? Lean? The CEO is a billionaire. The company has benefited from hundreds of millions of dollars in government funding.

And none of that has any bearing on corporate policies that encourage managers to fire employees who try to form unions, hiding quality issues, creating parts and tools that only they have access to, penalizing vendors who sell those parts/tools to anyone and telling customers that their cars are either totaled or preventing customers from fixing total cars. EVERY major car company in the world allows customers to work on, fix up or rebuild cars. There is a multi-billionaire industry built around fixing up wrecked cars. They are taking an Apple approach to cars - overcharge for repairs, trick consumers into buying new when older cars can be fixed and use lobbyists to create laws that penalize consumers from fixing products that they bought with their hard earned money.

He isn't complaining about Tesla. He's complaining about their actions against him. He has every right to complain.

Do you realize people have gone to PRISON for doing something as simple as making and selling computers that can run Apple OS? Tesla is employing all the same strategies.

It's the first step in monopolizing the electric car industry. Oh, and by the way - monopolies are illegal in democratic countries - like AMERICA. It's bad for business, innovation and violates consumer laws meant to protect YOU.

IF they got their heads out of their asses, they could make an easy $100 million a year just working with shops that want to repair Teslas. But, alas the Elon Ego and Corporate Facism stands in the way of protecting American ideals and time-tested industry protections.

You should probably do more reading about Tesla. You'll be shocked. Guarantee it. A guy rebuilding a 100 wrecked Tesla's is not the problem.

And he is challenging an environment at Tesla, which began at companies like Apple, where they PRETEND to put consumer needs first, actually want to monopolize your experience by overcharging for work, forcing you discard products that can be fixed on this case, simply pretending that salvaged cars haven't been a part of life for over 150 years.

<WellThere>

If you're interested in alternative energy vehicles/power, there's a thread for it here.

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/official-electric-car-thread-part-4.3735901/page-42

Come on in, grab a cocktail, breathe it in, and chill.. :)
I don't like PEB's commentary. He has an illogical and uninformed devotion to Tesla. I'm about the genius this guy is displaying, not unquestioned obsession with any particular car.

And this is as much about the story as it is about the multimedia stuff.

I don't like PEB's commentary. He has an illogical and uninformed devotion to Tesla. I'm about the genius this guy is displaying, not unquestioned obsession with any particular car.

And this is as much about the story as it is about the multimedia stuff.

Fair enough.

Running a start-up? Lean? The CEO is a billionaire. The company has benefited from hundreds of millions of dollars in government funding.

And none of that has any bearing on corporate policies that encourage managers to fire employees who try to form unions, hiding quality issues, creating parts and tools that only they have access to, penalizing vendors who sell those parts/tools to anyone and telling customers that their cars are either totaled or preventing customers from fixing total cars. EVERY major car company in the world allows customers to work on, fix up or rebuild cars. There is a multi-billionaire industry built around fixing up wrecked cars. They are taking an Apple approach to cars - overcharge for repairs, trick consumers into buying new when older cars can be fixed and use lobbyists to create laws that penalize consumers from fixing products that they bought with their hard earned money.

He isn't complaining about Tesla. He's complaining about their actions against him. He has every right to complain.

Do you realize people have gone to PRISON for doing something as simple as making and selling computers that can run Apple OS? Tesla is employing all the same strategies.

It's the first step in monopolizing the electric car industry. Oh, and by the way - monopolies are illegal in democratic countries - like AMERICA. It's bad for business, innovation and violates consumer laws meant to protect YOU.

IF they got their heads out of their asses, they could make an easy $100 million a year just working with shops that want to repair Teslas. But, alas the Elon Ego and Corporate Facism stands in the way of protecting American ideals and time-tested industry protections.

You should probably do more reading about Tesla. You'll be shocked. Guarantee it. A guy rebuilding a 100 wrecked Tesla's is not the problem.
Yes, a start-up. First step is to make their production profitable and get it on par with demand. After they have made their business sustainable the customers can start asking for more options. That could happen pretty soon, as the production numbers are going up fast.

Yes, a start-up. First step is to make their production profitable and get it on par with demand. After they have made their business sustainable the customers can start asking for more options. That could happen pretty soon, as the production numbers are going up fast.
Are you 12? You don't need to ask for the option to fix your own car.

Also, you keep using the word "start-up". Tesla is no longer considered a start-up and hasn't been for a very long time.

Watched a lot of his videos. Guy is funny and witty, and not in a lame contrived way either.

Back